Chapter 3

SHINee No More

AMBER'S POV


I am out of US. And I will never ever come back anymore.

I hate him so much. Why can't he understand? Have I ever done something wrong that I deserve such treatment from him? And I thought we were friends. 

Key totally made my day. Yes, he totally ruined it. Just when I thought he was finally making a move, he was a complete fail. Can I repeat that one, Lockets? KEY WAS A FAIL. 

"Wait for me here, Amber." After mysteriously calling me by my name, he quickly ran all the way inside the store.

Eh? What the heck is up with that? He left. 

Now, I'm all alone in front of this plain- looking shop. Arrgh! I hate standing here alone. Where did he go? What took him so long? Is he with that Blair?! Of all the days, why now?! It's supposed to be our time together, not theirs.

A car suddenly stopped right next to me. Then three black-suited men went out and stood in front of me. I think I've already seen this scenario. What was that drama again? Boys Over Flowers? It couldn't be. Are they supposed to be chasing after me? And am I supposed to be playing the role of Geum Jan Di? Hahaha. I laughed at myself. 

"Uhm, excuse me. Who are you?" I asked curiously.

Then they grabbed my arms and the last thing I remembered was that smell…smell of ammonia. 

My head's still spinning. I could barely see anything. I was lying on a bed and there were two ladies standing next to me. They tried to tie my hands and now I'm helpless. I couldn't move a bit. I felt unconscious again.

Next thing I knew, I was standing with something weird on my feet. It's like I was wearing a three-inch heeled shoes. Or so I thought. Now, I couldn't see anything. I was blindfolded. 

"Wow. It's perfect Kibum. You sure have a knack on designs. It looks great on her." It was a girl's voice, could this be--

"I told you, Blair. I will give Sang Baek a run for his money. Haha!" that was definitely Key. 

So he was with this Blair this whole time? I tried my best to maintain my composure. I don't want to completely lose my patience. If Key was being diva, I can take it. I could take it more than what he's doing to me now. He isn't just humiliating me, he was with some other girl while doing it.

"But, are you sure this is Amber? Hahahaha! Where's the fierce, rocker Amber that we've known?" Okay, we've got another voice here. It was a guy's. 

"She's gone off somewhere. Guys, meet the newly improved Amber." Key was clapping his hands like a kid. Usually, it was cute. This time, it was irritating.

"Yah Key! What do think you're doing?! And 'newly improved'?! What the heck was this all about?!" I can't take this anymore. I have to speak out to show them how angry I was, especially to this SWEET BOO of mine. Yeah right. 

"Now you're calling me Key? Hey, I'm still your oppa!" 

"Darn that. How can you still use that concept? You ain't Korean anymore." 

SHOOT. 

Aish! I am the one who's supposed to be pissed off here right? Why think about his feelings now? I don't have to feel guilty about what I have said. 

Key suddenly became quiet. I thought that slowed him down. 

But it seems I underestimated him this time. 

The next thing I knew, I was standing in front of a very unfamiliar lady, my blindfold mysteriously gone. She was wearing a black cocktail dress. Her silver necklace and bracelet totally matched the outfit. Her hair was pulled back neatly, accessorized with white gemstones clipping her silky hair. Wow! She looked like a real princess! Who was—

OH. NO. IT. CAN'T. BE. ME. 

"KIIIIIIIIIIIIIMMMMMMMMM KKKKKIIIIIIIIIBBBBBBBUUUUUUUMM!!!!!!!!!"

He was laughing like crazy with those two when I glanced at him. That girl beside him must be that Blair, and the guy beside her.. Omo. 

"Song Seunghyun?!? Y-you're here??" 

I was completely shocked by this guy's presence. 

"Oh my heavens Amber! Can we goes out tomorrow?" I saw Seunghyun's jaw drop while looking at me. Then that girl pushed his jaw back into place and gave me a fierce look.

"Jake, don't flirt around in front of your girlfriend..And no one's allowed to date my Boo!" Key then bursted into laughter again. 

And what did he just call Seunghyun? JAKE?! Hahaha! Since when did he change his name??

"Jake??" I looked at him confusingly. I couldn't help but laugh at his "new" name! "Hahahaha! This is really funny, Seunghyun. I mean Jake. Hahahahaha!" 

He just smiled, "Hey Miss Amber Liu, please don't embarrass me in front of my American girlfriend." He started to speak in Korean so that his girlfriend, Blair, could not understand him.

"Oh. Sorry Jake. So she's your girlfriend then" I continued. 

"Amber, these is my girlfriend, Blair.. Blair, these is Amber. Please treats his well enough soon. I am counted on you." Oh my gosh! His English really ! How did he manage to have an American girlfriend when he can't even speak well in English?!

"So Blair, how did you two meet?" I asked her teasingly upon looking at confused Seunghyun. 

"A common friend introduced him to me. He was easy to get along with and I found his English really cute! He's so funny!" She then flashed a smile and looked at Seunghyun Jake.

"Oh. I see. You looked good together. I'm so happy for both of you!" I tried to control my laughter when she said that his English is so cute. Then I saw that Key was just standing and laughing alongside with them. 

I realized that I was still wearing these ugly girly stuffs. Wearing these really irritated me. I started removing them?

"Yah! Why are you removing those?! Do you know how many sleepless nights I've spent baking cakes and selling them just to buy those for you?!" Key started shouting at me. 

"Where are my clothes?! Give them back to me! NOW!" I yelled back. Seunghyun and Blair excused themselves and went out of the room upon sensing the sudden change of atmosphere.

"I threw them away." He said in a calm tone. How can he be so confident like that? Does he not realize how angry I am right now? 

"Kibum!!! Give me back my clothes!" I guess he sensed it now.

"Okay, there it is in the cabinet." He pointed at the small cabinet beside the table so I quickly opened it and took my clothes. 

He followed me and waited outside the fitting room.

"Boo, look. I'm so sorry if this isn't what you've expected on your birthday. I just wanted to surprise you." 

"Yeah, right. I'm really surprised on what you did!" I sarcastically said.

"I thought of something that would make this day memorable to you. And I had this idea. I never thought that making you look beautiful would exasperate you" He tried to be cool again, trying to explain every effort that he made. 

"And now you're saying that I'm ugly?!" How could he?!

"I didn't say that. I'm just saying that you'll look more beautiful if you wear girly stuff." 

"Oh c'mon! Right from the very beginning, you already knew how much I hated wearing those kind of clothes!"

"But I know it'll look good on you, Amber!" Now he's raising his voice. He might be getting pissed right now. Well, poor him. I'm more pissed! 

"I'm going!" I walked out and shut the door. He followed me again and tried to catch up.

"Oh, don't be such a stubborn. It's your birthday! We shouldn't fight like this." Key tried to lower his voice, trying to get my sympathy. BUT--? 

"But it's too late. You already ruined it!!! This isn't what I wanted! That's it, I'm going back to Korea!" Yes, he totally ruined it. I called a taxi and quickly took off.


Congratulations, Key! You've just lost your one and only Boo!

***

It's been four days since I flew back to Korea.

I was sitting at the backstage, fixing my schedule in my planner when I saw the date today. Omo. It's his birthday. How can I ever forget it? But I don't wanna call him right now. I'm still mad on what he did to me. Argh! I hate him!

But it's his birthday today!!! And he's all alone there with his cakes? He might be baking like crazy right now. I wish I could be by his side. 

I now realize that I don't hate him anymore. I so miss my Boo!

"Girls, five more minutes and you're up." I heard one of the staffs yelled from the side of the backstage. 

I saw Jonghyun oppa as he entered the backstage. He was with a couple of guys, probably members of the new band that his label was promoting. They look like they were having fun. Jonghyun was teaching them some SHINee choreography. I remembered Key upon seeing him. 

Suddenly, an idea came over me. What if--? Whatever, this would probably the best gift that I could give to my Boo, and probably the best advanced Christmas gift for Jonghyun oppa. I hesitate no longer. I only have a few minutes left here because we will immediately leave after we perform our latest debut song. I have to give it to Jonghyun oppa NOW.

I grabbed a pen and tore a piece of paper from my planner. I quickly searched for Key's number on my phone and wrote it on the paper, then folded it. 

I hurriedly walked towards him. "Jonghyun oppa, here's Key's number. You better call him, okay?" I then handed him that precious piece of paper.

I wasn't able to see his reaction because f(x) was now being called on the stage. I ran towards the other members and we stepped in the stage together.

 

KEY'S POV

It's been four days. 

Amber went home shortly after we had our serious fight. She left without even saying goodbye to me. I felt bad because all of my efforts to surprise her on her birthday all went to waste. All I ever wanted was for her not to regret coming over here to celebrate it with me. I guess she won't come over here anymore. Congratulations, Key. You just lost your one and only Boo.

I don't mind being alone. I got used to it, I guess. For three years, I struggled to live independently. My parents seldom visit me but I'm fine with it. I got used to not living with them anyway. But I always make it a point to call them regularly when I feel lonely. 

I am lonely right now, but I don't feel like calling anyone. The only company I had since my Boo left were the butter, sugar, flour, eggs, my bowls and the FM radio that was constantly playing all day and all night. Who cares? I was alone anyway. Okay, who's pissed off right now?

I've poured all of my frustrations on this cake mix that I was doing for like... two hours now. Aish, this is such a messed up mix! I've been staring at the blank space for heaven knows when, while mixing what could be my worst cake ever. Funny thing is, it was supposed to be my birthday cake. Yeah, I look funny right? I can imagine just how much of a loser I look right now. Come on, who would bake his own birthday cake, alone? I felt stupid. I felt even more stupid upon realizing that no one else would eat this stupid cake but myself. Geez, why bother making it? I got up and stubbornly threw the bowl on the sink. Surprise! It broke into pieces. 

Since when have I become like this? I never dreamed that I would be like this ever in my life. Alone. Jaded. Haunted. Poor me.

Today, I was supposed to go watch a movie with my Boo. She planned this whole 'watch-a-movie-while-eating-popcorn' thing because she wanted me to do all those things that I never get to do before. I don't quite remember when was the last time that I went to a movie house to watch a movie. Maybe the last time was when I was with...

HIM. 

HIM.

Oh dear, why am I suddenly thinking about him now? Didn't I consistently telling myself that he's not worth thinking about? Wait, wait. Stop it, Key!

♪ And I believed you 'cause I loved you more than life
And all you had to do was apologize 
You didn't say you're sorry, I don't understand
You don't care that you hurt me, and now I'm half the man
That I used to be when it was you and me
You didn't love me enough♪


The radio was playing "Never Again". Wow, perfect. Just when I was feeling melancholic. I wanted to throw the radio. I'm impressed though, he was being a loser just like me. Nice to know I still have company.


♪ Sadness has me at the end of the line
Helpless watched you break this heart of mine
Loneliness only wants you back here with m
Common sense knows that you're not good enough for me ♪ 


Damn it, why does he keep on bugging me?

I swore not to think of him when we separated ways, but why am I finding it difficult to forget him? I hate him so much it kills me to think about him. But when I remember those times that we were having fun, I would always regret hating him. I would end up hating myself more because I wasn't able to do anything for the two of us. I ran away because I got tired of him. I can't take him anymore. I thought I have to leave him. 


♪ Wish like hell I could go back in time
Maybe then I could see how
Forgiveness says that I should give you one more try
But it's too late, it's over now ♪


I walked towards the living room and ended my three-year relationship with my radio by pushing it so that it will smash on the floor. The broken pieces scattered all over. I didn't notice that hot tears were forming in my eyes, and they were now flowing freely in my cheeks. I realized I was unconsciously crying while the song was playing. Just like the radio, I was broken into pieces. Heck, only weak people cry. I immediately wiped the tears off my face and took a deep breath. But I guess I've never cried for a while now so the tears were constantly falling. I hate this. I promised Amber that I won't cry over him anymore. I've even put so much effort in hiding all the pain that I've been holding on for so long, so that she won't get tired of me. 

...But my Boo left me too. And now I have no one but myself. I buried myself under a throw pillow while I was fighting with my emotions. I can't break down now, can I? This is so not me...

I was transported back to reality because someone was calling me. I looked at the mobile phone resting over my kitchen table. Nice timing. Who could this be? 

Stupid. Why am I still asking when there's just only one person who's calling me regularly? Amber, who else? It couldn't be Seunghyun. He's in Blair's place right now, probably spending some quality time with her. 

I grabbed my phone and answered it without looking at the screen. I'm not so much in the mood to talk right now but I really really need someone to talk to me. I know Amber's mad at me right now, and I know she will just scold me that's why she called, but who cares? At least my mind will be shifted somewhere else. I REALLY HAVE TO GET HIM OUT OF MY MIND RIGHT NOW. 

I swallowed so hard before I spoke so as to avoid giving hints that I just cried. I was so frustrated that I almost yelled.

"I'm really sorry, Boo! I won't do it again! I can't sleep at night thinking about what I have done." 

"Uh.. yeobosaeyo?" Someone who's definitely not my Boo answered. It was a guy.

"...Boo?" I answered back. 

"Boo? Who's boo?" The voice sent chills to my spine because he was speaking in Korean. It's been so long since I've heard someone speaking my native tongue.

"Who's this? I don't quite remember giving out my number to anyone else but my mom, my dad, my Boo and to three of my friends. I don't think you belong to any categories," I sarcastically said. I have to continue speaking in English. Maybe this guy just called the wrong number, so I have to just pretend I'm not Korean. My mind was telling me it was Seunghyun. But come on Key, this couldn't be Seunghyun. He's not the type to joke around you. 

"Almighty Key? You jerk! I don't understand you! Speak in Korean! Don't boast your English with me!" the guy suddenly blurted out. And just when I thought I've done enough to forget my Korean (which is impossible) I totally got what he said. And slowly, I realized I already knew who he was, I was just denying that fact. How could I deny this guy?

"OH.MY.GOSH. Charmander?!" I tried to control my voice. I felt it was about to crack. 

"Bo?" It was definitely him. No one else owns this husky, stupid sounding voice but--

"JONGHYUUUUUUUUUNNNNN!" I shouted at the top of my voice. Good thing I was living alone. I could shout as loud as I can all day. 

"Aish! Yes, yes. It's me, you bastard. I'm going deaf now!" Small amounts of tears were forming in my eyes right now. What the heck? I should be happy, right? Why am I--

"JJJJJJJJJOOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGGG!" I can't help but shout his name. I don't want him to speak yet. I was engulfed by the mixed emotions that I felt the whole day. I was happy and sad at the same time. 

"Yah! Stop shouting!" He suddenly yelled. I think my shouting was pissing him off. I don't care. That jerk, how can he call me right now? I'm such a mess.

"BUUUUUUT JJJJJOOOOONNNNGGGG???!!!" I continued, my voice as loud as ever.

"NEEEEEEEEEE KIIIIIIIIBBBBBUUUUUMMMM! CAN YOU PLEASE STOP SHOUTING?!!?"

Oh. He matched my volume. 

"Oh, right. Okay." I shifted the mood. 

"Wow. I can't believe I'm talking to you right now," He doesn't seem to mind the shift. It seems he's used to it already. 

"Me too, it's been three years." There. I said it. I finally spoke again in Korean, after three long years. My tears started flowing again. Aish, I've been crying the whole day. I swallowed hard and tried to keep my voice in composure.

"Yeah. Oh and thanks for finally speaking in Korean." Yeah right. If you only knew how hard it was for me, you jerk. 

"Mianhe. I just.. I'm just not used to it anymore." It was, I swear.

"I understand. Anyway, heeyy! How have you been doing?" Jjong's voice suddenly became animated. I think he was also struggling to talk casually and normally, like nothing happened. Like it hasn't been three years. 

"Nothing much. I always stay indoors, baking and designing cakes."

"Omo, really? Great! I miss your cakes. And your dishes!" 

"And you jerk! You sure penned a great song." 

He seems shocked. Maybe he didn't expect me to know about his solo, perhaps? 

"Y-you knew?"

Hah. "Of course. I'm all knowing. Hahahaha." I finally laughed. I would always tell him that. That I'm all knowing, and that he couldn't hide secrets from me. He was closest to me even during our trainee days. 

"Yeah right. How could I forget that you're Almighty." He said bitterly, but I could tell he missed that too. 

"Correction. I WAS." I said coldly, but I was laughing in my head. 

"You're still are, no matter what.'" He tried to be cool, probably weighing my emotions.

"Stop it." I said, point blank. 

"Sorry." Hahahaha! I wish I could see his expression right now.

I continued playing cool. "Anyway, if you don't mind me asking, where'd you get my--? 

OH SHOOT.

"Uh.. what's the korean for 'number' again?" Oh my gosh, how could I forget? My silly pranks backfired that fast. 

"What the hell Key?!" He started laughing. Aish, does he think I'm joking?

"No, no, I'm serious Jjong." I was racking my brains for that tiny little term. Where in the world was it? 

He even laughed so hard. How could he?

"Oh, thank you very much. you're such a great help." I sarcastically said. 

"HAHAHAHAHA! You haven't changed!! AHAHAHA!" Huh? I'm starting to get pissed off right now. 

"What do you mean I haven't changed?" 

"Whether you speak English or Korean, you're still the same old Diva Key. And don't worry, umma Key, I wasn't stalking you!"

"Then how'd you--" 

"Amber gave me your number."

"AMBER??!! As in Amber... Liu?!" Amber? How could she give my number without my permission? 

"We only know one Amber, right?"

"That lizard." I don't know whether I should be pissed or not. I told her to get his number, not actually give my number. They are two different things. 

"Any problem with me getting your number?" He sounded cautious, indifferent.

"Oh. No. No. It's not what I meant. I'm fine with it. Anyway, thanks to her I'm talking to Bling Bling right now." I sincerely said. I don't know if I can gather enough courage to talk to him, or to all of them anytime soon. I just wasn't ready.

"Since when have you become so mushy?" 

"Shut up." No way am I being mushy. 

"Hahhahahahahaha! By the way, I set up a dinner with the jerks," he suddenly said.

I stopped. What did he just say? How can he just say that when he knows I wasn't ready to talk about them yet? 

"Key?"

"How's Taemin? Is he studying?" I suddenly blurted out. I'm longing to hear from our maknae. I am missing him so badly. 

"Oh. Yes, I think he is. Minho met up with them. Taemin is doing fine. You need not to worry anymore." He said assuringly. "Everyone is doing great. I bet we're all dying to see each other."

"I see." 

"So, are you coming?" Finally, the question that I have feared the most.

"Jong hyun, why still ask? You already know the answer," I said coldly 

"But Key--" 

"I'm not coming. Look, I have some stuffs to do right now. I'm really glad you called. I am missing you, Bling. Your song is definitely a hit. " As much as I want to talk to him a little longer, I have to hang up. It was a rollercoaster of emotions today. I don't think I can take it any longer. 

"Kibum..." He was struggling for words.

"I will catch up with you later. Bye!" I was about to press the END button— 

"W-wait! Happy Birthday!" Is this for real? He was... greeting me? He... remembered?

My stupid eyes are shedding some tears once again. I swallowed harder. I felt my heart ache upon realizing how awful my birthday had been. 

"Jjong.. thanks." Sure enough, my voice finally cracked.

"Sure, buddy. Later!" It was like the old times. 

"Bye!"

 

------

Seems like we totally forgot to update :(