Chapter 2

SHINee No More

 

KEY'S POV


It's been a while...

I felt like decades have passed since I started having this monotonous life. I have been baking and designing cakes for three years now. I was getting bored with my life. Am I really destined to be like this forever? I am was Almighty. I am used to be good at many things but how come I didn't even get to do what I really want?! 

Back in kindergarten, I already knew what I really want in my life. I even wrote it during one of my classes... that I want to SING. I want to be a singer. That word brought back memories from the past. I didn't even want to remember it. Everytime I hear that word, my heart aches for no reason. It felt empty. It's there but it's unoccupied, like someone has left and never came back. But what was it then? I didn't even know what it was. How come I was not enjoying this anymore? I felt like I've become the worst version of myself.

As I was preparing the dough for the second batch of order, I smelled a burnt bread. Next thing I knew, the room was already half- filled with smoke. It was then I realized that I forgot to get the first batch from the oven. As I panicked, I accidentally dropped the bowl for the second batch. The dough was wasted and my ever expensive bowl broke into pieces. I messed up again. This isn't me. I don't usually mess things up. I'm not that clumsy. The only person I knew who can do all these clumsiness in an instant is...

Then I heard a familiar voice from outside, "Omo! What happened?" Amber suddenly opened the door and covered her nose with a hanky. It's been months since I last saw her. Her now highlighted brown hair grew longer. But then it's still that same old fashion style. She never wears dresses. 

"Oh my gosh! You startled me! Why did you come here all of a sudden?!"

"Uhm... Nothing. I'm just bored at home." 

"Bored?! You came all the way here from Korea just because you're bored?! I can't believe this." I just blurted out in a cynical tone.

I saw a sudden spark in her dark brown eyes and the hidden smile behind those lips. 

"What are you up to,huh? You can't hide anything from me. I'm Almighty Key, remember?"

Then she bursted into laughter. "Okay, you caught me again. By the way, what's this smoke all about? And the smell, a burnt bread! And those broken pieces on the floor?" 

"Don't ask me. Can't you see? I'm working right now." I started preparing the second batch of dough again.

"Key hyung! Is there something wrong? Are you sick, huh?" She placed her warm hand on my forehead. I was so annoyed of her lame joke that I pushed them right away. 

"Look, Amber. I'm very busy. I still need to prepare all the pastries needed for some party tonight."

Then she stood up and got her backpack. "Oh. I see. Okay, I'll just come back some other time. It seems that you're having your period. Bye." 

She ended our conversation just like that. I shook my head. Wake up, Key! Why am I being so mean to Amber without any reason? She's the ONLY friend I have now. Poor me. Am I mad? NO!

Before she even got the chance to shut the door, I called her back. "Hey Boo! Wait up! I'm just kidding, okay?" Back to the real Key, she saw me smiled and came back. 

"Yeah, I know. I'm already used to your mood swings ever since you came back here in California. Anyhow, need some help?" She offered hastily.

"Sort of." 

"Where are the bakers?"

"I gave them a day- off since they all worked hard last weekend during a big event."

"And now you're doing it all by yourself?! Since when have you been giving them day-offs? Wow, you've matured a lot." 

"No, I'm not doing it by myself. That's why you're here. You'll gonna help me."

"Oh. Perfect timing? I didn't travel thousand miles just to bake some cookies here. Hahaha!" Her low voice reminds me of Minho-ssi. Oh, I miss that flaming charisma!

"No more excuses. Just do it! First, get those remaining flour in the bowl and prepare this dough. Then I'll make another one for the burnt batch."

I was no longer surprised when she didn't argue with me anymore. She'd always do what I say, except for one thing..THAT ONE THING! No matter what I say, she still refuses.

 

AMBER'S POV

 

It was summer last two years, when I decided to finally visit my Key-oppa in America. My career as a member of a girl band was doing great and my management gave us two months of break before we record our 5th Japanese album. It felt great to finally have the chance to rest and take a break, and so I didn't waste any time and gave my buddy a call.

"Amber! I am so waiting for this call."

"Really now? Hehehe! Kidding, why?" Since it's just the two of us, we were comfortably speaking in English.

"I don't feel really well. I need someone to talk to." His voice was coarse, and I can sense he was not really feeling well.

"Oh, have you taken medicine? Where are you? Still in the shop? You better go home today, my sweet boo." I felt so near him even though he's miles away.

"Yes, yes. I am just... well, it's just not my day." Oh yes, Diva Key.

"Hmm.." I was hesitating whether this was the right time to tell him.

"Boo? Are you still there?"

"Huh? Oh yes. Uh... I dunno whether this will make your day but..."

"Hm?" 

"I am going over there tomorrow."

"Oh. W-wait... you... here?" I laughed at his confusion and sudden change of mood, his voice came back to life and he went frantic.

"Yes, there. Is it alright if I stay there in your place?"

"Did the management give you permission already? Do you want me to ask them for you? Amber! Why so sudden? You didn't inform me earlier! I haven't done shopping for groceries for the week!"

I was laughing and he was panicking, usually it was the other way around. Key always laughs when I panic, now it's my turn to laugh.

"Oh, will I cancel my flight?" I was teasing him.

"What? No! Wait, unless you're just trying to pull a prank on me!" 

"Hahahaha. Okay, okay. I'll be there. Probably tomorrow evening? Get ready, boo."

"Alright, pack your things properly. I will call you later, I will go shop and clean the house. I'm excited to see you!"

The words warmed me. I'm excited to finally see him again.

That was my routine for two years now. Every summer, or when the management would give us weekly breaks, I would go fly to his place in California. Summer was the perfect time because our birthdays were just around the corner. Key would make pastries for me every now and then, and for my birthday, he would make my cake and we will consume it together. His cakes were nothing like those commercially made. His, for me, were more special.

As of this moment, I was in his place again, and we were just hanging out in his living room, enjoying the summer heat, drinking homemade lemonade and watching some SHINee live footages. I can see his eyes lighting up whenever we watch these kinds of videos. He really misses performing, and more importantly, he was missing his SHINee brothers. Taemin, his son, in particular.

"Look at my son, so cute! And he sure dances well. So accurate!" He claps his hands whenever 15 year old Taemin is being focused in the camera.

"Yes, everyone was cheering for him everytime he dances solo." Taemin and I are of the same age, but he dances so well, I feel inferior. Even at a young age, he is already showing a lot of potential. All of SHINee's members were credited as superb dancers, and Taemin is the best dancer among SHINee. 

"Jonghyun! Hahahaha! Oh, that charmander." He cups his chin with his right hand and laughs heartily while Jonghyun oppa's hitting on a high note "Yeah baby!" on Juliette. I laughed alongside Key and we high five-d. Jonghyun oppa surely resembles charmander.

"Do you want to talk to him? We saw each other at Inki. I might bump into him again during our comeback stage. I think we'll appear next in Mubank. Jonghyun oppa's single is selling pretty well, he might perform there as well."

He suddenly looked at me. "His single is selling well?!"

"Uh... yeah. Kind of. But I guess the reception wasn't the same as when SHINee debuted." I felt awkward. I thought maybe he was feeling disappointed because Jonghyun-oppa came back in the scene without them.

He looked otherwise sad.

"Sure. If you happen to see Jjong again, can you get his number for me?"

"Oh, no problem. Have you heard his single?" I was trying to change his mood.

"Not yet. But he wrote that one, didn't he?"

"Yep, I think so."

Finally, he smiled. "That's nice. I will download it tonight. "Those Were The Times" was the title, am I right?"

"That's the one, yes." I smiled at him and took a sip of my lemonade and looked again on the TV screen, Onew oppa was being flashed next. I heard Key singing along with him. I felt a surge of jealousy all over again. Maybe because they both sounded well, and Key was making all those background adlibs which produced beautiful harmonies when blended with Onew oppa's lovely voice. Key would always sing along with Onew when it's the latter's solo on all the footages that we ever watched. He never did that with Jonghyun, Minho and Taemin, neither did he ever sing his own solos and lines too, and I would always wonder why.

"That was wonderful." I smiled at him as soon as he and Onew finished. He just nodded and took a sip of the lemonade. 

"Boo, let's go to the boutiques tomorrow." He placed his glass beside mine and put his arms around mine like I was a noona to please. He flashed his sweetest smile and his beautiful chinky eyes before me. Oh, isn't he irresistible?!

"You're shopping again?"

"That's right." He smiled teasingly at me. "Please? I need to buy... stuffs."

"What stuffs?" I curiously asked.

"Some stuffs, haha! Don't ask. Let's just go!" 

"You still have time to buy stuffs? May I remind you that you have loads to do."

"No. I always declare my own holidays. So tomorrow is a holiday for me. Zero work," he confidently said and I chuckled. He is so full of himself.

Tomorrow? Why would he declare that as a holiday? 

Oh wait, did I check my calendar correctly? Tomorrow is... Septembe19. Meaning? Aish! How can I forget my own birthday! 

And my Boo... did he remember? He did? He did! Maybe he is just pretending to act cool so that I won't notice that he is up to something on my birthday? Hahahahaha! Almighty Key, you're busted!

"Since when have you been following your self declarations?" I playfully asked.

"You ask too many questions. Will you go with me or not?"

If you were in my place, you wouldn't want to mess up with a pissed off Key. So, while his patience hasn't worn off, I just have to give up already. But I don't care, it's my birthday tomorrow and I wouldn't want to spend it with anyone else but him. I won't complain anymore.

"Okay, okay fine. Let's go. You'll drive for me. Deal?" a playful smile formed across my face. 

"Yeah, whatever. And what are you smiling for, Amber Liu?" he was slowly laughing. Better. I'd rather see him laughing than pissed off. I chuckled and hit him in the arms.

"Wha--nothing. What's your problem with that?" I put my arms around his and leaned on his shoulder, still smiling.


I assured myself that I will be having a great time tomorrow.

Next day. 6am. 

Key-oppa called. Called? Am I back in Korea? Don't tell me everything was just a dream!

"Hey Boo Boo! Wake up! We have to do something. I'll be there in a minute." His diva attitude didn't even change a bit. He was still that manipulative Diva Key. I still didn't know why I always do what he says. Is he that Almighty?

I was still half asleep when I answered my phone. But the drowsiness didn't stop me to realize that today indeed is my day. It's my birthday today.

"W-what?? Did you just say dub...u?"

SHOOT.

"...."

"Y-y-you there?" What did I just say?! DUBU! Oh no! Erase. Erase. Did I really mention the forbidden name?! Ever since he came here to US, he never mentioned that name again. Ever. 

"Boo? Sorry, I still feel sleepy. What are we going to do, anyway? Don't tell me we'll gonna bake again! Wait, why are you even calling me when we are just in the same roof?" I was trying my best to change the topic.

It took a while before he answered. Perhaps he's still shocked on what he has heard.

"Of course not, I'm not at home right now. Didn't I tell you we'll go shopping today? I really need to unwind. Shopping is my therapy."

Oh yes, I am not dreaming. It is indeed real. And today's my day.

"But it's still early. The mall's still closed."

"I know. I wanna go somewhere else before that."

"Where?"

"You'll find out."

Then he hung up. Where are we going at such early time? He is planning something right? I have a gut feeling that my Boo prepared something for me. It isn't natural for him to be so cold, especially if it's my birthday. I wonder if he'll gonna confess his feelings to me. Is it the one I've been longing to hear? Amber, stop those fantasies. You know it'll never happen.

After about half an hour, someone knocked on the door as if he wants to destroy it, "Hey! Open up."

As I open the poor door, "What took you so long to open the door?" Key-oppa blurted out.

"Long?? Is ten seconds long enough for you?" I laughed..Impatient Key. Then he sat on my bed and unpacked something.

"Is that for me?" I peeked at the plastic bag that he's unwrapping.

"I bought some cinnamon rolls and chocolate cream puffs for breakfast."

"Wow! Thanks, Boo! You're the best Boo I've ever had!" He suddenly froze when I gave him a big hug. Probably, this brought back sad memories again. Then I stepped back and broke the silence.

"Wait, why did you buy these? I thought you only eat the ones you make." I doubted.

"I told you today is my self-declared holiday. When I say holiday, it means I don't bake."

"Are you sure?! These look like leftovers from yesterday. Oh c'mon, spill it out." I teasingly asked, hoping to make him laugh.

"No. I don't eat leftovers. I'm not a pig. Those are new ones. I woke up very early just to buy them for my breakfast. I'm starving."

"Really? So it's not for me then. Why did you even bring your breakfast here?"

Finally, he laughed. "No. It's for the two of us."

"Aww. Sweet! Can I try it now?" He nodded and I took a bite. It's really delicious but Key-oppa's are still the best.

"Okay, so much for those mushy stuffs. Hahaha!" He laughed again. Then he continued, "It's been a while since you last visited me. I really miss you, seriously." Then he pinched my cheeks. His teary eyes almost made my heart melt. 

He took a big bite of the cream puffs.

"Yeah right, who's being mushy now?" I stuck out my tongue and made a face. 

The next thing I knew, he was rolling on the bed, laughing so hard while clutching his stomach. 

"That's the--hahahaha--the stupidest face--hahahaha--I've ever seen! Hahahaha!"

I didn't expect that my effortless expression would make him laugh so hard, to the point that he was already choking.

"Oh. Wait, here's an 'oyoo'." I gave him a glass of milk. But he got worse. I realized that I've made another mistake. I mentioned that forbidden name again. I was so careless. I shouldn't have said that. I should have said it in English instead. Did I make him mad again? Oh no! I was really nervous. His face got serious afterwards and just kept silent. After finishing our breakfast, he washed the dishes without saying a word. I approached him.

"Boo. I'm sorry. This is my second time mentioning that name. But you know I didn't mean to say that. I'm never gonna say it again, okay? As in never!" I just said in a low voice. I was afraid of him. He was a good nagger. I was not prepared for his endless arguments.

"It's okay. I forgive you. It's not your fault." He replied in a calm but gloomy tone.

I was surprised. What did he just say?! I knew something's wrong with him. For the past three years, I've seen him reminiscing old times and being as sentimental as he can ever be. But this time, it's different. Key... Being too emotional..? This would make me go crazy. He used to nag at me whenever he's angry and then now, he just said things like that.

He got his handbag from the couch and said that it's time to go. I followed him. We rode in his car. We were again silent for a while. Then again, I've got the guts to break it. I saw our new released mini album in his car. "Have you listened to it yet?"

He glanced at the CD I was pointing at and turned his eyes back to the road. "Yeah. It's great. Keep up the good work." It sounded as if he's not that interested to talk about that so I changed my topic to a more interesting one. I'm sure he would love this though I personally don't like talking about such stuff.

"What about my outfit during our album release? Have you watched it?" I tried to liven up the atmosphere.

"Ah. That one. Yes, I did." Then his mood changed back to the Diva Key again. I was right. I've always known how to make him happy. "Honestly, I don't like that one. It's too conservative. I told you to wear a more revealing one." He made that Diva smile again.

"Do you really think that's too conservative?! For me, that outfit is way too revealing!" I said defensively.

"Hahaha! You're asking about my opinion but then you're not satisfied with it?" He hit me on the shoulder.

"Hyung!"

"And now you're calling me hyung? Who's pissed off now? Hahaha."

"I've told you before. I don't like to wear those kind of clothes."

"But I think it'll look good on you. Believe me. I'm Almighty."

There he goes again. The Almighty Key. He has always wanted me to wear y clothes and try on girly stuffs but I've always told him that those were not 'my thing'. That's not me. Amber is Amber! Key is Key! I know he always gets credits for dressing up stylishly, but we have different sense of style.

"I'll do anything. Just don't make me look girly. It's giving me creeps everytime I hear that word."

"Hahaha!" He laughed heartily. Then he stopped the car.

"Alright, here we are."

"Where are we?" I looked at the place. It seemed familiar. Oh. I remember now. It's Key-oppa's fave shop.

He immediately went out of the car without saying a word and pulled up his mobile phone from his left pocket. I just stood at the other side and overheard their conversation. 

"Blair? It's me, Key... yes, yes. I'm already here. Yes, I missed you too."

What did he just say?! And who the hell is this Blair? 

"Is it alright? Oh, this is such a big favor. I hope I'm not a nuisance."

I am totally incoherent right now. What is my Boo trying to do?

"Yes, we are. Oh, okay. So, I'll just enter the store? Alright. I want to see you already! 'Kay, thanks, B!" He was smiling and nodding his head. And my heart is breaking because he seems really happy and excited over something. Maybe over seeing this so-called Blair. 

I sighed. Maybe I was wrong. He doesn't really remember the date today. Urgh! I should have known. How could I assume? I am officially pissed off right now. I want to strangle him and to shout at him. KEY----!

"Wait for me here, Amber." After mysteriously calling me by my name, he quickly ran all the way inside the store. 

What the...

 

+++

Erm. Sorry for the really late update T____T