Chapter 6

The Guardian

 

“Tao.”

“Yes?”

Kris stared at the food on his plate; he hadn’t touched it, though Tao was half finished with his breakfast.

“What?”

“A guy can love another guy, right?”

Tao nodded as he chewed. “Sure. Why?”

Kris jumped and took a huge bite out of his bun. When he was finished chewing, and thinking, he said, “I just noticed Xiumin and Luhan is all.”

“Did they bother you?”

He shook his head. “No, it’s not that. I shouldn’t have said anything.” He smiled, though he was regretting bringing it up.

“Do we have anything before the concert tonight?” Tao asked.

“Just another rehearsal this afternoon,” he replied, “then the concert, and then we can all go home.” He grinned. He realized it meant that he wouldn’t see Tao constantly anymore, and he still couldn’t understand why that upset him.

 

Kris stood on the stage after rehearsal, waving as the back-up dancers and coordinators left. When he was alone, he sat down, wincing. His hand pushed on his hip, which exploded in pain. Kris didn’t know what happened, maybe he was just pushing too hard, but he didn’t know how he was going to make it through the night.

Tao appeared at his side and squatted next to him. He handed him a bottle of cold water. “What’s wrong, Kris?”

“Nothing.”

“No, really,” he said. Tao moved Kris’ hand way from his hip and touched it gingerly. Kris winced again. “What happened? Is it swollen?”

“I’ll be okay.”

“How are you going to do the concert?”

“I just will, okay?” Kris snapped.

Tao frowned, thinking. “We have a couple hours still,” Tao said quietly, “We should get you back to the hotel and ice it.” He looped an arm around Kris’ ribs and pulled him to his feet.

“You can’t tell them,” Kris demanded threateningly.

Tao’s lips pursed, “Only if you go to the doctor when we get home.” Kris nodded and they hobbled out of the auditorium.

 

Tao was wrapping up a bag of ice with a cloth in the kitchen, while Kris rested on the sofa in the other room. He heard the other boy’s phone ring, and then he answered it. Tao didn’t pay much attention, until Kris’ voice raised and he started yelling.

“Do you know how much I put up with for this? I do it all for you!” Tao peeked around the wall into the living room. “Why? Because I love you, and I don’t want you living on the streets!” Kris sighed heavily, “Do you even care about me?” He asked the person on the other end. Tao frowned. “No, please, don’t hang up. Please,” he pleaded, though it was the last word that rang in Tao’s ears, “Mom.”

Tao’s hand flew up to cover his mouth and he stood straight behind the wall. He had been sure it was a girlfriend or something. He waited a moment, then grabbed the bag of ice and slowly made his way into the living room. Kris was sitting up on the sofa holding his cell phone against his chest. Tao sat on the armrest beside him.

“How much did you hear?” Kris whispered.

“All of it,” he said, “And the rest of China probably did, too.”

Kris snickered. “I must be so unlovable. Even she doesn’t care.”

Tao wrapped his arms around Kris’ shoulders and pulled him close. Kris buried his face in Tao’s side and began to cry.  “You’re not unlovable, Kris,” he whispered, rubbing his back with his fingertips. He patted his back hard and pulled away. “We should get this on your hip.” He stood and moved to the sofa a bit down from him, retying the bag next to him. “Here,” he held it up and Kris leaned towards him, exposing the swollen hip. He covered the spot with the ice.

But rather than sitting up again, Kris laid down, his head lying on Tao’s thigh. Tao froze, frowning, but when Kris closed his eyes and placed his hand on Tao’s knee, he softened and leaned back into the sofa.

After a few minutes, Kris began to snore lightly. Tao smirked and swiped his fingers through Kris’ light brown hair.

 

Kris glanced over at him from the stage. Tao stood just behind the curtain watching; when they’re eyes caught, he jumped. Kris smiled at him, then turned his attention back to the audience. Tao couldn’t help but grin; it made him happy when Kris smiled. It was happening more and more as the days went on. Tao was actually glad he had overheard the conversation with Kris’ mother; it made him realize what Kris meant to him. They had only known each other a few months, and at first Tao had really disliked the diva, but now he could see what he really was.

Chen tapped him on the shoulder and he turned. “What’s that?” Chen pointed out at the audience to a hooded figure. Tao took a step forward and stared at the person. The being stood out so much; most were brightly dressed girls with lightsticks, but this person was wearing a dark hoodie that covered their face. Tao looked back at Chen.

“What do you think?”

“I don’t know, but I don’t like it.”

Tao looked back at the person, who was digging in their backpack. The girls next to him looked down at what he was messing with and then quickly backed away, squeeling. Tao froze and looked at Kris, then back to the person in the crowd. Light flashed off the rifle as he pulled it up to aim.

“Kris!”

Tao ran for him. A gunshot rang in the air as Tao knocked him over. Kris rolled on the floor, his hip exploding in pain after falling on it. He sat up and looked at Tao, who was lying on the stage floor. He wasn’t moving. “Tao,” Kris reached out for him, but Chen and Lay hooked him under the arms and started pulling him offstage. “Tao!” He kicked and struggled, but couldn’t break free from them.

The paramedics got Tao on a stretcher and hurried him to the ambulance waiting outside.

“Kris, calm down,” Chen said quietly behind the curtains. He tried to hug him, but Kris pounded his chest with his fist.

“We have to follow them!” Kris screamed.

“We will, we’ll go, Kris,” he said, “but we have to make sure it’s safe first.” Lay came over with a bottle of water. He handed it to Kris, who cooled off his face and neck with it. “Did you hear anything?” Chen asked Lay.

“Some fangirls took the guy down. Security has him,” Lay replied.

“Then,” Kris said, looking up at Lay pathetically, “can we go to the hospital?”

Lay nodded and helped him up. He winced with every step, but just waved it off as an injury from his fall when they asked. 

 

 

 

 


 

 

Omo, the cliffhangers I leave you guys. 

Is this the reality you wanted?

Troll like a buffalo.