Lingering Memory

Distorted Memories

A/N: Let’s say that they are all 17-18 years old.

 

In those past five years, Jong In has been reborn as Kai. He has buried his former childish, happy-go-lucky and naïve side in the deepest part of his soul. He wanted to wipe them all off from his memories alongside his once dearest childhood friend. Kyung Soo had long ago betrayed him, disappearing without a trace or a word, leaving Jong In behind, in a sea of sadness. He had left Jong In, his "closest" friend when he needed him the most. Jong In had deeply regretted trusting him afterwards, when they had both promised each other that they would always stick together no matter what. Then, he had to be the one to break it, scattering Jong In’s inner self in numberless pieces. Jong In had died that day. Kai had realized it after desperately and foolishly waiting for his return which never occurred. It was about time to let go of the past. Kai didn’t need a whatsoever friend called Kyung Soo. He was now Kai, the diva of the school, the one who was loved and desired by everyone.

 

"Hey, Kai!" Lu Han snapped Kai out of his sleepiness.

 

"Huh?" Kai blinked, trying to wake up his tired eyelids.

 

Settling himself before him, Lu Han had put his elbows on Kai’s desk, forming a reverse "v", as he rested his chin on his hands. The cuter boy tilted his head on the side, a glimpse of sparkle in his brown pupils.

 

"Why are you sleepy today as well?" Lu Han let out a faint laugh.

 

"I am?" Kai smirked. "Well, I guess it’s because I got too engrossed in that new game last night."

 

"What?" Lu Han pouted. "Why didn’t you invite me over?"

 

"Are you serious or just too oblivious?" Kai rolled his eyes. "Playing video games with you always end up in a battlefield. I still want to live." He .

 

"Yah! That’s not true…" Lu Han bit his lips. "Maybe, sometimes…"

 

The latter got cut off as the teacher walked in the classroom. He loudly clapped his hands as he reprimanded everyone to go back to their assigned seats. Unfortunately, Lu Han and Kai weren’t sitting near each other. Already getting bored of this history class, Kai turned his face to the left as he blankly stared outside. Mild sunlight was piercing through the greyish clouds as it tickled his face, warming up his mood. A smile drew itself across his flawless face. Something deep within him was making him believe that something good might happen today… or not.

 

"Everyone! Let me introduce you a new student. Here, come in."

 

Sighing, Kai didn’t even care to turn his face around to catch a sight of the newcomer. He didn’t have any reason to. There was 99.9% of chance that that person, be it a girl or a guy, will eventually end up in his fan club anyway. Everything had always been the same since he had entered high school, since the day he had become who he was today: Kai.

 

"Annyeonghaseyo! I’m Do Kyung Soo!" A low-pitched, yet holding a familiar vibe voice snapped Kai from his trance.

 

His lips slightly trembling, he turned his head around in a swift movement. His eyes widened, almost falling down as he realized the new student’s name and face. Kyung Soo discreetly smiled towards him. His lips parted, forming an "o", completely taken aback. Despite himself, he froze on the spot. Kai didn’t expect to see him again. He never did. Kyung Soo was supposed to be part of his past life. So, why? Why did he have to appear right before him once again, just when he had managed to forcefully forget him?

 

"Please, take good care of me." Kyung Soo added, putting on his signature dead-frozen-by-nervousness face.

 

His jaw literally dropped. Are you kidding me?

 

**********

 

"Jong In!" Kyung Soo was walking behind him, desperately trying to catch up with Kai. "Jong In! Jong In-!"

 

"Shut up! Don’t call me that name!" Kai suddenly stopped half way as he turned around to face the older man. "It’s Kai."

 

"Why did you change your name?" The older one stepped closer to Kai, confusion in his eyes.

 

"You’re asking why?" Kai scoffed a laugh. "I just don’t like my old name. Got a problem?"

 

"You’ve changed." Kyung Soo uttered in a whisper as his eyes saddened.

 

"You’re the one who made me like this." The other coldly snapped out before walking away. "Blame it on yourself, bastard."

 

"Jong In!" Kyung Soo grabbed him by his arm, compelling him to stop. "Please hear me out—!"

 

"Let go of me." Kai’s gaze turned icy cold.

 

"Wha—What?"

 

"I said…" Kai strongly yanked his grip off from his arm. "Let go of me!" He yelled, earning a few weird looks around.

 

The next thing he knew, Kai regretted raising his voice in the middle of the hall way.

 

"Sorry." Kyung Soo apologized in a whisper.

 

Biting his lips, he lowered his head. He just wanted to avert those eyes. Why were they tinged with sadness? Who the hell did he think he was? The one who should be on the verge of letting out his sorrowfulness should be Kai! He was the one who had left Kai behind. There were no reasons for him to even be the slightest sad. On the contrary, Kyung Soo should feel sorry, but forgiveness wouldn’t be granted that easily. Kai would never forget how deeply Kyung Soo had hurt Jong In in the past.

 

"Kai?" Lu Han shyly poked his head out from behind a crowd. "What’s wrong? Do you know the new student?"

 

"No." Kai lied without hesitation. "Just leave me alone. I don’t want to see you." Kai whispered to Kyung Soo in a tone that could only be heard by the two of them.

 

"Where are you going?" Lu Han worried as he was about to follow Kai.

 

"Please, I need some time alone." Kai stopped him before heading to his "secret" place.

 

Lu Han faintly nodded. Even though he didn’t know where Kai always went when he needed, Lu Han simply chose to leave his friend alone as always. He wouldn’t dig in others’ business. It was against his values. Though, he wanted to help him, in vain. Sometimes, he felt that he was so useless as a friend. He couldn’t do anything except watch him walk away, slowly fading away from his sight.

 

"Kai… Is there anyone who could help you?" Lu Han sighed.

 

That said person had silently made his way to a not-too-unknown-to-others place. He prayed that Kai would be there.

 

**********

 

"WHY?" Kai shouted with all his might, his voice filled with anger. "Why does he have to be here?"

 

The rooftop was his only comfort when he was feeling the urge to be alone. The open-sky place made him feel a little bit closer to Heaven where he could let out his frustration, where he could feel at peace. Today, it was different. He didn’t seem to be able to find the balance between his overwhelming emotions. Burying his face in his palm, Kai slouched on the chilly floor; his back leant on the wall.

 

"Why?" Kai swallowed back his bitter tears. "Why did you come back?"

 

In five years, Kai had managed to fight back his feelings of betrayal and sadness directed to his long lost friend. He clenched his fists as he shoved them down. He lift up his head, facing the azure and cloudless sky. It was supposed to be cheerful, warm day; even the weather had predicted so. Kyung Soo just had to mess everything to, mess up his once peaceful daily life.

 

"I hate you." Kai muffled a sob. "I seriously hate you."

 

Inside, Kai was being torn apart into pieces. He was breaking down, losing himself in a world of despair. The simple sight of Kyung Soo was making him become like that. He still hadn’t forgiven him. Also, he still hadn’t forgotten him. Even with all the efforts he had put into nourishing his hatred towards Kyung Soo, Kai still couldn’t bring himself to despise the latter with all his soul. Fragments from his past memories with him would always end up messing everything up.

 

"You had promised me that you’ll always be by my side." Kai closed his eyes, preventing himself from shedding tears. "Why did you have to lie to me?"

 

He lowered his head, finding comfort as he stuffed his face on his knees. His arms tightened their grip on his legs that he had brought closer to his chest. It hurt.

 

I really liked you back then. More than a friend.

 

**********

 

On the other side of the metallic door, Kyung Soo knew that Jong In was there. Unable to bring himself to open the door, his hand was shamefully frozen an inch from the knob for who knows how long. His heart throbbed at the muffled sound of Jong In’s cry. His fingers flinched as he clenched his fist. He couldn’t do anything. What could he do anyway? Jong In hated him. He could understand his coldness and snarky attitude, but not his hatred and sadness. He had no reasons to be in this pitiful state. Kyung Soo brought his hand closer to his chest, grabbing the fabric of his shirt.

 

If there had to be someone on the verge of breaking down, it should be him. If there had to be someone falling in the vicious circle of hatred, it should also be him. How dare he be so forgetful? As far as he remembered, Jong In was the one who had desired him to leave. He could understand. He was the guilty one. He wouldn’t deny it. He wouldn’t forgive himself as long as Jong In wouldn’t. Then, again, he didn’t get why Jong In hated him from leaving him. Truthfully speaking, Kyung Soo had once made a promised with him five years ago. He had sworn to never leave his side. Jong In was the one who gleefully smiled afterwards. He was also the one who had forced him to break that promise. Kyung Soo could still remember that fateful day as if it was yesterday. The pain. The confusion. The sadness. The feeling of betrayal. After going back home, he had told his mom that he was willing to move out with her in order to live with his dad. From that day onwards, he had silently told himself to forget everything. Jong In was no longer worth being part of his memories. That was what he thought in those past five years, but he finally realized that he couldn’t. He missed him. He missed Jong In.

 

Quietly opening the door, he peeked outside. There were no sounds. Closing the door behind him, Kyung Soo hesitantly stepped out. As he was about to utter Jong In’s name, he caught side of the latter out of the corner of his eyes. Minding his footsteps’ light sounds, Kyung Soo made his way towards the younger man. He crouched beside him, noticing that he had fallen asleep. His face was buried in his knees as his fingers were digging in the fabric of his jeans, desperately trying to escape from reality and remain in dreamland a little bit longer. Sorrowfully smiling, Kyung Soo reached out his hand as it softly Jong In’s dark hairs. He looked like a child.

 

"Despite the fact that you’ve grown, you’re still the same, aren’t you?" Kyung Soo chuckled as he recalled how Jong In would always come up to the rooftop of their middle school whenever he was down.  

 

Leaning his face closer to his, his lips gently brushed his skin as he laid a ghostly kiss on his forehead.

 

Jong In, I’m willing to forgive you. Just tell me why you had to hurt me back then. I really liked you. More than a friend.  

 

**********

 

Quivering as a late summer breeze brushed his skin, Kai lazily rubbed his eyes as he stretched. He yawned. As usual, he had fallen asleep on the rooftop. It wasn’t the first time. Though, he had gotten so used to it that he wouldn’t catch a cold. Recovering a smile, he stirred his body, about to stand up when he noticed something. A jacket had been put on him as a blanket. It looked somehow so familiar, giving off a weirdly safe vibe. He grabbed it in his hands, leaning his face closer to it as he stuffed his nose in the fabric. He inhaled the faint, yet sweet perfume of vanilla. In spite of himself, a little smile drew itself across his face. He had recognised this smell which brought up pictures of his childhood time with him. It was Kyung Soo’s. Had he been there? Well, Kai wasn’t surprised. Kyung Soo might be the only who knew this little habit of his.

 

Letting out a sigh, Kai stood up as he tightly hugged the jacket close to his chest. Thinking it off here had made him realize one thing. He wouldn’t truly hate Kyung Soo. He never could. Still, before forgiving him, he wanted to know the reason why Kyung Soo had to leave him without a word back then. He needed all the pieces of the puzzle in order to comprehend and put his mind at peace. Nodding to himself, he opened the door leading to a descending staircase. Walking around, he realized that it was lunchtime. People around him would stop what they were doing to glance at him as he walked beside them. Kai was born an attention . He couldn’t help it.

 

Finally catching sight of the one he was seeking, his smile grew a little bit wider than before. Kai quickened his pace towards him. He wanted to thank him. He wanted apologize for his rudeness earlier. He wanted to forgive him. He wanted—. Kai stopped half way as he saw two girls being a tad too close with Kyung Soo. Kai’s back stiffed from the scene. They were giggling over something Kyung Soo seemed to have said. The latter nervously scratched the back of his head, awkwardly smiling at the female students. Even though Kyung Soo was trying to causally talk with them, Kai had noticed in spite of himself hints of his discomfort. He had never been really good with socializing. He should chuckle, laugh at the thought of it, but, instead, Kai gripped tighter on the fabric of his jacket until his knuckles turned white. He gritted his teeth as he turned around, his back facing Kyung Soo. So, he had already made new "friends" on his first day of school? Great! I’m happy for him! Kai fumed inside as he left the school grounds without a second thought. He wasn’t in the mood for the last period anyway. He didn’t want to face him at the moment.

 

**********

 

A click was heard in the house, informing that someone had opened the front door.

 

"Huh? Kai?" His sister looked up from her book as Kai walked in the living room.

 

"Yeah." Kai threw the jacket on a couch, annoyed.

 

"What are you doing here?" She asked, closing her book. "Shouldn’t you be attending your afternoon class?"

 

"So what?" Kai coldly scoffed. "I don’t feel like going." He shrugged.

 

"Did something happen?" Her sister worried, making her way to him.

 

"You know who dared to appear right in my face today?" Kai scoffed a laugh. "Just when I had managed to forget him, he just had to mess everything up. Just when I was about to forgive him, he once again had to mess everything up." Kai inaudibly mumbled to himself.

 

"Who pissed you off this time, huh?" She raised an eyebrow, tapping her foot on the wooden floor.

 

"Do Kyung Soo!" Kai literally shouted his name.

 

"Wha—What?" She widened her eyes, the eyeballs bulging out of her face. "He… He came back?"

 

"Yeah! Isn’t it ironic?" Her younger brother rolled his eyes. "He leaves me behind and then come back whenever he feels like it!" He hissed between his teeth.

 

"Yo—You shouldn’t be that hard towards him…" She uttered in a low voice, almost inaudible. "He must have had his reasons…"

 

"Huh?" Kai frowned his eyebrows, noticing the slight tremor in her voice.

 

Closing her eyes, she sighed, turning her head on the side. She blankly looked at the wall for a few seconds before looking straight in his eyes.

 

"I guess I should tell you now… since mom will never do it anyway…" She said in a mellow tone.

 

"Tell me what?" Kai crossed his arms over his chest.

 

You and mom have been hiding something from me?

 

"The truth that I had witnessed five years ago, but got hushed by mom." She avowed.

 

A/N: Aigoo, I'm sorry that the first chapter came out... too sad... like this... -.- I've failed as a writer. I sincerely hope that HunHanFTWCX isn't disappointed in the story dedicated to her... and that for the other readers as well.