Hot Summer 1/18

Hot Summer

    It had all happened rather fast. First you had been asking the librarian where to find the fantasy section of the library, then you had began walking up the stairs, and now you were flopped over on your back, trying to control your shallow breaths as your vision blurred.

    "I didn't mean to! I mean! Gah!"

    Sun-kissed golden hair filled your vision, and you blinked. Once. Twice.

    "Hey! Are you okay?" the boy asked, shaking your shoulder slightly. "I wasn't looking where I was going! Hey! Are you—"

    You stopped him by grabbing onto his hand tightly, so tightly that the boy let out a sharp exclamation of pain.

    "I think I need to go to the hospital," you gritted out, trying not to scream, and then you fainted. Quite anticlimactic really.

    The next time you opened your eyes you were greeted by the same sun-kissed head that you were pretty sure knocked you down that flight of stairs.

    "You're awake!" he exclaimed, and you nodded slowly, groaning at the feeling of fuzziness surrounding your head.

    "Yeah," you murmured slowly. "I guess I am. Hey, um, not to be rude or anything, but who are you?"

    The boy's eyebrows furrowed, and then you jerked back as he suddenly bowed.

    "Lee Jinki! I'm truly sorry for knocking you down the stairs, and—"

    Apparently you had not jerked back fast enough because his forehead suddenly collided with yours, and you were once again left sprawled on your back.

    "Ow. That hurt," you stated matter-of-factly, rubbing the sore spot on your forehead. You were pretty sure that a bruise would develop there. Taking a deep breath, you accepted his introduction and did one of your own all the while trying to ignore the new throbbing pain in your forehead.

    "Ah!" Jinki exclaimed. "I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to—"

    "No!" you quickly exclaimed, raising up your hand as the boy started to bow again. "No, really, it's fine. Anyway, what are you doing here?"

    Now Jinki just looked awkward as his gaze flickered around the room before  he finally met your gaze around. "Well," he said slowly, and then he motioned with one hand toward the bottom of your bed. Your gaze followed the path that his hand traced and narrowed when you saw the cast surrounding your leg.

    "I don't…" you muttered, struggling to sit up and poking at the cast. "No…no, I was supposed to go swimming this summer and running and lose weight and!" You trailed off, tears welling up in frustration. This just couldn't be happening. You had already completely planned out your summer beginning from the start of the last school year, and now it was completely ruined.

    "I'm so sorry," Jinki apologized, repeating himself several times while you stared dejectedly at the cast on your leg. "I promise I will do anything to help make it up to you! It was entirely my fault! If I wasn't so clumsy…"

    Jinki trailed off, and you pulled yourself out of your shallow pool of misery to smile weakly at him.

    "Ah, it's okay," you said. "Really, it'll be fun to catch up on my reading. I've always been meaning to read this book series. You aren't clumsy; don't worry. This sort of thing can happen to anyone. It just might not've been your lucky day."

    Jinki still looked rather put out, and you sighed, struggling to scoot a little bit closer to him in order to lay a comforting hand on his shoulder. It worked, but your leg that was not in a cast ended up having to be twisted into a slightly awkward position. Ah well, if it made the poor guy stop with his puppy dog expression it was worth it.
    
    "Really," you repeated, patting his shoulder in a friendly manner. "Now, um." You cleared your throat awkwardly. "Could you, um, help me out here? I kind of need to go to the bathroom, but…" You motioned helplessly to the cast on your leg, and Jinki immediately brightened.

    "Of course!" Jinki exclaimed, grabbing you arm.

    "Hey! Not so fast!" you complained, but he was already dragging you off the bed before you could even motion toward the crutches in the corner of the room. The sense of vertigo that hit you when you were pulled off the bed was surprising, and what was even more surprising was the fact that Jinki held you upright. You couldn't help but gape at him, wondering if you had misunderstood his clumsiness earlier. Then, he took a step forward and sprawled, quite ungracefully, on the ground. Unfortunately, this meant that you followed him down.

    Groaning, your cheek against the cool tiles of the floor, you closed your eyes against the headache that you know would come. "Please," you muttered, pushing yourself up off the ground and refusing Jinki's hand to help you up, instead dragging yourself up by the edge of your bed. "Please just hand me the crutches in the corner of the room."

    You winced as Jinki even managed to trip over the crutches as he brought them over to you. Yes, you thought, shaking your head as you grabbed the crutches from Jinki and shooed him over to sit on the bed, this is going to be a very interesting summer indeed.