Chapter 25

Masquerade

 

As she sat in her office, mindlessly working on a case study by the Supreme Court, she looked up as Lucy entered.

“There are some ladies here to see you.  They said that you invited them for lunch.  It wasn’t on your schedule, but the first lady was in the group, so I…”

“Don’t worry, Lucy.  Show them in.”

The minute Hyoyeon, Jessica, Yoona and Sunny entered the room, Tiffany smiled and went to the and they embraced.

“Welcome back into the human world, Fany” Hyoyeon smiled softly. 

“We were worried for a while.”

“It was nothing,” Tiffany smiled, pathetically.

“So what’s been going on?”

“Well, why don’t we go to a restaurant first and I’ll tell you everything you wanted to know.”

“…and now, here I am, in love, and he’s broken off the engagement, and I can’t really blame him.”

They were speechless.  Tiffany picked more at the salad.

“So you two never really fought?”

“No.”

“But he still loves you, right?” Hyoyeon asked, gently.

“No, he doesn’t.  That’s why he broke it off, don’t you see?  In the White House, we’re fine.  I just do my work, and he does his, and we don’t usually cross paths now, because I’m reviewing some Supreme Court decisions, and he’s doing something or another.  So now, we’re back to where we began, only worse than that.”

“I don’t think he broke it off because he didn’t love you, Fany” Yoona said softly.  “I think he broke it off because he loves you still.  He wants the best for you.  I know him.”

“I don’t think he knows what’s best for me.  If he did, we’d still be engaged, calling each other at insane hours, and deliriously happy together.”

“But given the circumstances…”

“I love him.  That isn’t a circumstance.  That is pure pain and torture.  I can’t say I regret loving him, because it makes me feel special when I think he did love me.  And I can’t deny that loving him has made me a better person.  I love him, and he doesn’t love me.  I’d accept the situation if I were less determined, but I’m not.  I want to fight for him, but I can’t if he won’t let me.  It’s horrid!  And I don’t even regret this pain!  You know, this is the reason why I always thought love was a weakness, but even now, I won’t admit that.”