Chapter 13

Masquerade

 

Tiffany sighed as she put the masking tape on the last of the boxes.

As she finished, she stood up, taking the bright red kerchief off her head and brushing her sweat-coated forehead with her light blue Harvard sweatshirt.  She then put the tape down and brushed her sweat-drenched hands against her jeans, attempting to dry them.

She was tired.  It was amazing.  January twelfth, and NOW she was packing for her move.

What a relief.  Home sweet home.

The game was over.  Who knew who had won.  Whatever happened that week was a miracle, but miracles rarely occurred more than once…not that she wanted to have it happen to her again.

But she could not remember a time in her life when Christmas was more enjoyable than this year.

But after she had arrived at New York and started packing, she started to think about it more.  Her thoughts became suddenly clear.

*He’s obviously playing a game with me, and just because I’m the only one of the Hwangs that actually stand up against him, he wants to make me fall 
in deep for him.  Sure, to melt the Ice Queen’s heart would be the greatest accomplishment!  Then, he’ll just relish in that heartless sun king role of his.  Get too close, you get burned.  Well, you’ve got another thing coming, Kwon.* 
She was ready to think about it more, but she couldn’t…not now, at least…and as it looked, not ever.  She had to move.

She had to move fast.  Taeyeon was being inaugurated the twentieth, as all presidents always were.  Today was the twelfth and she was moving on the sixteenth.  What fun.

She sighed, frustrated, into her boxes.  Sorting things and packing, juggling her college schedule and passing of the case to another lawyer in her aunt’s firm was not easy.

But at least her college schedule was lighter this semester.

Looking around her room, seeing all the clothes she had yet to pack…fancy cocktail dresses, gala things, and wedding things, she sighed miserably.  She’d need the extra time to unpack.

On the twentieth of January, Taeyeon Hwang was sworn in as president of the United States.

Tiffany Hwang became attorney general officially.  Yul Kwon became surgeon general officially.

As Tiffany stood among the on-lookers, and froze her hands in her rose pink gloves, she looked at Yul.  He stood apart from the rest, looking up at his friend, admirably and happily.

He was proud of his friend.  Tiffany was proud of her cousin. Jessica stood next to her husband, and their children, Seohyun and Kyuhyun, stood by with perfect manners and serious faces. Tiffany was happy.  Everything was perfect in her apartment.

EVERYTHING was unpacked.

Everything was perfect.

The inauguration ball was the big event of the evening, and Tiffany was aware of it.  She entered the West Wing of the White House with a small familiarity of the house.  It was funny, coming back as a guest to a place where she had lived once.  She looked around her, seeing the people around smiling and laughing.

Tiffany had entered carefully, slightly nervous.  A new society.  She always had to deal with the rumors that had arrived before her, and she always had to gain the favors of almost everyone in the room.  Great.

But she had dressed nicely for the occasion.  She wore a black velvet sleeveless that collared around her neck, with a diamond at the center at .  From the collar, the cut of fabric on either side went diagonally from the center of the collar to the crook of her arms and around to the back, where her line of skin reached down to the small of her back.  From there, the velvet clung to her figure, and had a slit on her right side to just above her knee.  She wore black suede pumps and her hair was again pulled up but with small black bows that had diamond centers.  She wore diamond earrings, and some gentle blond tendrils framed her face.

She was ready.  She was going to take the Washington DC society and turn it in her favor.  As she started walking around, she felt someone’s gaze on her.  She turned and focused on the person who watched her.

Yul Kwon.