3. Plan A - Just Add Water

Just Friends

'I just remembered I have something else I need to do,' she said, stopping suddenly.

'Hyo...?' he gave her a questioning look.

'I need to go,' and she ran.

 

Yonghwa watched Hyoyeon rush away, a little bit confused.

She was a funny kid, that one.

She made a big show of changing her hairstyle and hair colour and her clothes on the first day that he'd barely recognised her. Truthfully (and he would deny it to the death), he would have tried to hit on her if it had been someone else. He could only be glad that she recognised him before he could make things awkward.

But here she was-- not even a week later-- already back in her trademark clothes: loose t-shirt, baggy pants. He'd once commented on her choice of clothes and after an elbow to the ribs she explained to him that they were perfect for dancing. And she did dance extremely well.

Still, he could tell that not everything was like it used to be. She was different somehow and he couldn't quite place it. Maybe because she didn't have Seohyun to watch over and act like a big sister to?

Yonghwa always saw her as a capable, crazy girl, loud and obnoxious-- but always likeable-- but now, on her own... he wondered if she was just as fragile and innocent as Seohyun. The very idea unsettled him, and he felt the urge to protect her.

Protect that dragon lady... the very thought made him laugh.

Realising he was still standing where she'd left him, he turned away and walked the rest of the way home.

+++

'Who thought of this plan?' Hyoyeon asked, after finishing reading the document in front of her.

'We did, we told hyung we had an assignment and couldn't practise,' Minhyuk grinned.

'And what did you do with your actual assignment?' she asked.

They had the grace to look embarrassed, 'I'm sure we'll get around to it,' he said.

She didn't say any more. They were Yonghwa's responsibility, not hers. She was here to ensure Seohyun's happiness, and she just wanted to get it over and done with.

'While it's very,' she looked for the right word, 'detailed... I don't know how you expect me to manage to do half these things-- for example,' she searched for number 4(iii) on the list. "Throw a stone at a branch, causing a bird about to take a crap to fly off mid-release... allowing the waste to land on Yonghwa's shirt". How the heck am I supposed to do that?'

'It's not that hard, you just aim for--,'

'But how do I know that it's about to take a crap?' she asked, 'Couldn't we just do it simply? Tell them that we're organising a group get together? They did break up as friends. It doesn't need to be some "destiny- meet at the park" scenario.'

They looked at each other as though the idea never even occurred to them, 'Maybe we'll try that for a follow up plan B,' Jungshin said quickly, 'we've already set up the rest of the obstacles.'

'Obstacles? Oh I see, the two cute kids that will run up to them and ask Yonghwa to play,' Hyoyeon pointed out, 'the elderly lady who will have dropped her wallet and ask Jonghyun to help her go to the police station, and I'm sure you placed that ice cream vendor there too.'

'Yup, pretty spiffy huh?' Jungshin looked proud of himself.

'It is extremely scary what you guys can do when you put your minds to it,' she shuddered, 'anyway, I'm not doing this bird throwing thing-- the best I can do is bring Seohyun to the park, wait for her until you give me the go signal and then run off. Take it or leave it.'

'You don't throw the bird,' Jungshin explained, 'you throw the stone...'

'I don't care!' Hyoyeon said, using her 'mother' voice.

Minhyuk sighed, 'Noona you're no fun. You're missing out on some awesome action.'

+++

Hyoyeon was extremely happy to see Seohyun, who as always, looked gorgeous. But today there was an added air of maturity around the tall woman, with the clothes she'd chosen specifically for her university life.

'Unnie!' she was greeted warmly, and Hyoyeon returned her hug.

'How are you Seohyun-ah?' Hyoyeon asked, 'are you eating well-- instead of just sitting in the library between classes reading your books?'

Seohyun laughed, 'Of course,' it was a joke between them. Of their friends Seohyun was the most conscientious about nutrition despite being the youngest, and was often the one to tell her unnies off for being slack.

'Shall we go through the park today? The weather is quite nice so we might as well get some fresh air?' Hyoyeon made a show of thinking.

'Let's!' and linking arms with each other, they started walking.

'Unnie, how's school for you? How are Yong and Jungshin-chingu and Minhyukkie?'

'They're good. Always causing trouble, but it keeps me from being too lonely without you,' Hyoyeon admitted, 'how about you, is Jonghyun at least looking out for you?'

She could see Yonghwa and Jonghyun coming into the park from a different entrance and she started to steer Seohyun towards trap 1, the cute little kids that Yonghwa would definitely play with and would make Seohyun melt.

'Yes he is,' Seohyun replied, 'in the end I took a music class elective-- it seems I can't give up what I love after all,' she confessed, 'but I already missed the first session when most partners were made for the assignment. Jonghyun-ssi was in the class and said he'd be my partner.'

Seohyun blushed, and Hyoyeon was intrigued, 'Why are you blushing?'

'I'm not!'

'You are!'

'I'm not, unnie, stop teasing me!' Seohyun tried to turn her face away but Hyoyeon grabbed her arms and suspiciously looked her in the face.

What she didn't realise was that they were now quite close to the fountain, so when Seohyun tried to turn herself around quickly, Hyoyeon went flying into the water.

'UNNIE!!!'

Hyoyeon surfaced with a gasp, and wiped her face. She looked up to find Yonghwa and Jonghyun had started to come to her aid, but it was Jonghyun who reached her first and pulled her up, 'Hyoyeon-ah, are you okay?'

'I'm fine,' he she laughed, shivering a little, 'Jonghyun, good to see you!'

'Idiot!' an unimpressed voice interrupted, before she felt the weight of a jacket land on her shoulders, 'for a dancer-- you are incredibly uncoordinated.'

'It'll get wet,' she tried to shake off the jacket but he kept his hands planted on her shoulders, 'don't be a fool. Just keep it on or you'll catch a cold.'

She could smell him on it, and feel his warmth too.

'We need to get you dry,' Seohyun interrupted, worried about her unnie, 'I'll take you back home.'

'I'll take you back,' Jonghyun said at the same time.

'This works out,' Hyoyeon improvised quickly, 'Seohyun, you needed to buy that book today or it might run out, right? You can go and do that, Jonghyun can take me back-- I'm sorry I can't show you where the bookshop is... but Yonghwa knows.'

'Is it the bookshop on Chungcheong?' Yonghwa asked.

'Yup, that's the one,' Hyoyeon said, happy that the plan was working out.

'You know it too, don't you Jonghyun? Why don't you show Hyun? I need a jacket anyway, it's a bit cold--,'

'--take this back,' Hyoyeon countered, 'I'll be fine. Jonghyun, lend me your jacket?'

Before Jongyhun could answer, Yonghwa firmly (for the third time) held his jacket on her shoulders, 'seriously, this is the thanks I get after you soaked my jacket through? Just hurry up and let's go. Or we'll both catch a cold. Hyun, you'll be okay with Jonghyun?'

'Yup, I'll be fine,' Seohyun said good naturedly, 'Unnie, take care-- I'll call in on you later.'

Hyoyeon saw her perfect plan falling apart before her very eyes.

And then she saw the look on Yonghwa's face and she knew that she was going to be in massive trouble.

+++

Hyoyeon's apartment was a further walk than Yonghwa's, so she grudgingly agreed that she should at least dry herself there before he walked her back.

If she'd known that this was going to happen she would've been sure to push Seohyun into the fountain instead of falling in herself...

Thankfully, it looked like Yonghwa was calling a truce, as he passed her a towel, a clean shirt and some shorts before leaving her.

She laughed at herself when she saw herself in the mirror. Mascara running, hair looked like tangled rats tail, eyes red from taking in too much water. Lucky she wasn't trying to impress him, or she'd have a lot of hard work ahead of her.

Unfortunately, Yonghwa didn't seem to be in an amused mood when she came out of the bathroom feeling awkward in his shirt (and shorts!!) yet just glad to be clean.

'You want to tell me what game you're playing?' he demanded.

'Game?' she asked, blinking her eyes innocently, 'what are you talking about?'

'So you didn't purposefully try to get Jonghyun out of the way, so that I would have to take Seohyun to the bookshop?'

'Of course not!!' and she could say this honestly, after all, the old lady was supposed to be the one to rush in and pull Jonghyun off elsewhere, 'and before you ask, I didn't purposefully fall into the fountain either.'

'You were going to push Seohyun in, except she was too strong for you?'

'Are you crazy? Why would I push my best friend in the water? What kind of monster do you think I am?' she asked pretending to be insulted-- but failing to truly be insulted because a part of her recalled that just a few minutes ago she'd considered that idea.

'Maybe not,' he conceded, but then he started moving towards her.

'What?' she asked defensively, moving backwards until she hit the coffee table behind her and nearly toppled.

He caught her arm steadyingly, 'Hyo-- I can see through you. Whatever well-meaning reason you have in your brain, don't try and meddle with my love life, I--'

Hyoyeon waited, watching the confusion in his face before she saw him shake his head and take a step back from her, '--I?' she prompted him.

'I can handle it myself,' he said, ending his declaration with a trademark smile.

For the life of her, Hyoyeon couldn't figure out why it seemed like he was declaring war on her.

+++

Author's Note: Thanks readers, I know you're out there and I'm happy to have you :) I don't know just how many "Plans" will happen before Hyoyeon or Yonghwa succeeds either way, but I would say at least 3. Don't you?