11. Just Friends...?

Just Friends

Author's Note: Hi everyone!! Firstly a MASSIVE apology to making you all wait so long between chapters. Honestly I thought I would get it done before I went on my trip (to Japan and Korea!!) but in the end I couldn't write it properly so here I am in 2013 finishing it off. Secondly, I hope you all have a safe and wonderful and FIC-FULL 2013, take care and please enjoy this final chapter! xKei


 

 With no interference from anyone, with no elaborate plans, with no mind games—he was going to sort this out.

Just Hyoyeon.

Just him.

The third time that Hyoyeon missed the start of her dance break, because her thoughts once again flashed back to the scene in the auditorium, she knew that she was foolish in thinking that dance practice would take her mind off of it.

‘Ah, really?’ she exclaimed in exasperation. She collapsed to the ground, leaning against the ceiling to floor mirrors.

She closed her tired eyes and tried to find her "zen".

She nearly jumped out of her skin when her phone started to play. It was Darth Vader’s theme song from Star Wars, something she’d assigned to Yonghwa this past week as she dreaded each new demand of his.

‘Hello?’ she answered, trying to put on her best “nothing happened and I’m fine” voice.

‘Where are you?’ the only voice that could make her heart beat faster demanded.

She glared at her phone, ‘Why do you care? I’m where I want to be!’

So much for being calm and cool about this, Hyoyeon decided it wasn’t in her nature and anyway, it was probably too late to be anyone other than who she was at this point.

‘Why you! Have you forgotten who is whose slave this week?’

She scoffed and pulled her phone away from her ear to check the time, ‘Actually—your week ended about twenty five minutes ago. So—,’

‘I’m happy.’

This caused Hyoyeon to flinch, not because of his actual words—but by the fact that the door was suddenly pushed open and the words were delivered in person.

Hyoyeon stared at Yonghwa for a moment too long before pulling her eyes away.

‘Happy? That you no longer have a slave? Forgive me if I don’t buy that—I saw just how much you enjoyed each and every moment of the past week,’ she laughed, but she could hear just how nervous she was. (She really hoped he didn’t.)

He came closer to her and suddenly the height difference--of her on the floor and him standing up-- was too much to bear and she scrambled to her feet.

By the time she got there though, they were barely an arms’ length apart.

‘What...’

‘Why wouldn’t I be happy?’ he asked her, ‘Almost each and every moment of this past week...  I was with you.’

She jolted in surprise and looked into his eyes with a frown, trying to read him and looking for any trace of a joke in his face.

She stood rigid, not wanting to give out and indication that those words went straight to her heart and her knees actually felt quite weak.

‘I don’t...’ she damned her brain for failing her now, 'What are you...?'

‘I’ve known it for a long time, maybe so long that I've been a little scared of it. And because of that I’ve been pretty stupid about it—Hyoyeon-ah,’ he reached for her hand, ‘I’m happiest when I’m with you.’

Hyoyeon laughed at the absurdity of it all, and because these were the words that she never thought she would hear from him, she felt her eyes pool with tears.

+

Yonghwa was shaking as the words left his mouth and he anticipated her reaction.

Hyoyeon abruptly turned away from him and for a moment his heart dropped until he realised from her reflection in the mirror that she was hastily wiping away tears.

‘Hyo, why are you crying?’ he asked in alarm, reaching to turn her face to look at it properly, ‘is the idea so horrible to you?’ he asked in a quieter voice.

‘Idiot! Can’t you tell that these are happy tears?’ she said through sniffles.

He breathed a sigh of relief and pulled her close to his chest, wrapping his arms around her before realising that regardless of their height difference there was no awkwardness about it—this was where she belonged and he was determined that he would keep her there.

After she calmed down a little he pulled back, and not knowing when the "right" moment was, he decided to just go for it.

‘So... just to clarify, you like me back, right?’

Her eyes crinkled in that attractive way that he’d always seen, from the moment they met and her smile widened, ‘I’m not going to say no.’

‘Yah!’ Yonghwa shouted in frustration, ‘Why can’t you just be straight forward about it? I want to hear you say it!’

‘What for? We’re hugging aren’t we?’ Hyoyeon grinned cheekily, appealing to him with an incredibly lousy innocent look.

‘Friends can hug to you know!’

‘That’s good, we’re friends aren’t we?’

‘Hyoyeon...’ Yonghwa said, trying to control his temper and then he seemed to change tactic, ‘if you say the words then I’ll show you something just friends can’t do.’

She grinned, ‘Like what?’

‘Say it and you’ll find out,’ he invited her.

‘Yonghwa... I like you too.’

And then after a brief winning smile his mouth ducked down and he kissed her. Her arms went around his neck and she pulled him closer to her, as though she couldn’t get enough.

When they pulled away a few minutes later, she agreed.

‘Yeah, that’s not something just friends can do...’


So here ends my first AFF story, and I’ve left it with just a quick resolution because I want it to be a little bit more open for the future ^__^

However, please turn to the next page for an Epilogue, or rather a Bonus snippet of what happened after this chapter-- we need to properly say good-bye to our other secondary characters right??

Thanks again for being such awesome readers, comment-leavers, subscribers and just supporting me through my first fic.

I’m very grateful! I hope to see you again soon!!