ii

11:57, I'm 26

 

“Hi Miss Kim!” Yuri greeted.

Yenny and I fixed our eyes on the petite woman who entered the door.

“Oh hi Taeyeon.” Yenny smiled at her.

Just then, I noticed that her eyes were glued on Chinwoon.

Yuri and Yenny also noticed this.

“So she’s the new parent.” She softly spoke.

“Yes!” Yenny answered.

“Taeyeon, this is my friend and Chinwoon’s new mother, Hwang Tiffany.” I slightly nodded my head.

She looked onto my eyes with sadness and it was obviuse, I know everyone can tell.

“Tiffany, meet Kim Taeyeon. She was planning to adopt Chinwoon too, but you already passed a request by the time she told me about her plan.” Yenny explained.

That’s why she looked sad, no wonder.

I may be the new parent of Chinwoon, but I also feel bad for this girl in front of me.

She looked sad like her world just blew up.

If I were her, I know I would feel the same way.

Chinwoon really is a blessing, not just to me but also to Taeyeon.

“Take care of him. He’s one of the best blessing I’ve ever had in my life.” Her sad but steel sincere, sweet voice spoke.

I was right; the way Chinwoon meant to me was just how Chinwoon meant to this poor girl.

My eyebrows reached the center of my forehead.

My lips started to curve down, feeling sad for her.

I feel Chinwoon moving under my embrace, moving his cute legs and arms.

I looked down to him.

“My world.” I mouthed.

I have to do something!

“Hey, you guys busy tonight?” I asked all of them near me, to mention Yenny, Yuri and that includes Taeyeon.

“I promised Jessica that we’d go shopping after my work, so I’m a yes to your question.” Yuri declined.

We just gave a simple nod.

“I’m free.” Yenny answered.

I smiled.

“What about you Taeyeon?” I made sure I spoke the words nicely and politely.

“M-Me?” she pointed her index finger to herself.

“M-hm.”

“Why?” she asked in a surprised tone.

“I hope you don’t mind. Would you care to join me and Yenny for dinner? Its Chinwoon’s first day with me so I was planning for a little simple celebration. Maybe just us 3.” I answered hopefully.

I wanna make it up to her knowing she’s upset about me adopting Chinwoon.

Just like what I said, I would feel the same way if I was her.

“I-I don’t mind.” She moved her head from side to side, switching her gaze to me and Yenny back and forth.

Yenny and I released a grateful sigh with her acceptance.

“I still need to drop buy at my sister’s house. I have to fix some stuff before she leaves for San Francisco tomorrow morning.” Yenny excused. “I’ll just follow. Is that ok?”

I looked at Taeyeon and she just bobbed her.

“It’s ok. Just don’t take too long, ok? We don’t want the food to get cold.” I playfully reminded her.

She just laughed and nodded her head.

“So Taeyeon and I should leave first.”

“Yes. Drive safely Tiffany.” Yenny patted by back.

“Yep. Thanks.”

Taeyeon helped me place Chinwoon on his new babysit at the back of my car and asked her to seat on the front passenger seat.

“So what do you do for a living?” I asked her with my eyes on the road, but I got a smile on my face to make it not serious.

“I work at a bank. Bank manager to be specific.” She looked at be before twisting her body to look at Chinwoon at the backseat.

 “Ahh.” I bobbed my head.

“You?” she went back to her comfortable position, and I can tell that her face was facing me.

“I’m a dentist.” I answered awkwardly, eyes still on the road.

“Ahh. So you’re the famous Doctor Hwang.” She flashed her toothy dorky smile.

Man! The last time I checked she was like mourning when she knew that I was adopting Chinwoon, but now she’s smiling like a little kid.

That made me giggle a little bit, both because of her statement that I took as a compliment and because of her expression.

“Pff! Famous? Where did you get that?”

“Well, almost all of the people I know are your patients. No wonder they got bright smiles, their dentist has it too. Even the eyes.” She playfully answered.

“Well thank you! I’m very flattered.” I pressed a hand on my chest.

“Hmm. You mentioned 3. Isn’t your husband having dinner with us?” she curiously asked with one brow lifted.

I looked at her side of the car and laughed.

“Do I look like I’m married?” i made a sharp turn to the right which made her body’s weight unstable.

“I’m not sure.” I could see through the edge of my eye that she got her forehead wrinkled, “but you just adopted a baby which concludes my answer to a yes.” She gave me a satisfied response.

“Well, you are mistaken. No I am not married and yes I am not in a relationship.” I gave her the truth.

“I didn’t-“

“Well I know that your next question is “Are you in a relationship”” I cut her off and made quotation signs with my hands as I unbuckled my seatbelt.

“Are you sure?” she hangs her head low.

“Yep.” I answered with my wide eyes.

I opened my door and took Chinwoon out too.

I lead her to my little comfortable apartment which I would prefer as a house and opened the door.

“Please, make yourself comfortable.” I pointed to the couch.

“Welcome to your new home Chinwoon.” I kissed him on the cheek, “I’ll just prepare some stuff for Chinwoon, should we order or should I cook?” I took a glance at Taeyeon who’s sitting on the couch silently.

“Up to you. I’m good with anything.” She simply answered.

-Minutes After-

A falling plate was heard.

Taeyeon was at the living room playing with Chinwoon while Tiffany was at the kitchen busy with cooking.

“Should I help you with that?” Taeyeon peeked to the kitchen where Tiffany was running back and forth.

“No no. I’m good. Just play with the baby.” She answered, a little yelling.

Little did Tiffany know, Taeyeon had placed Chinwoon on his crib which they both transferred from the bedroom to the living room.

“I think another pair of hands would be a need.” Taeyeon took the kitchen towel from Tiffany’s hand.

“No no. I’m fine. I can do this.” Tiffany protested.

“Really? If I didn’t take that from you, do you think we can still eat your roasted chicken?” Tiffany looked back at her oven and noticed the smoke coming out.

Taeyeon took the towel and finished cleaning the mess on the floor while Tiffany’s panicking with her chicken.

“Aw aw aw aw.” she squirmed.

“Here.” Taeyeon handed a potholder.

“Thanks.”

Tiffany took the chicken out and gave a loud thankful sigh that her chicken was ok.

“You’re one lucky clumsy woman.” Taeyeon walked to the stove and checked the soup with a grin on her face.

“All thanks to you, my hero.” Tiffany glanced to Taeyeon.

Just then, the telephone rang.

Tiffany ran to pick it up.

“Hello?”

“Oh.”

“Why?”

“Yeah, sure.”

“Ok ok.”

“Thanks!”

“Bye.”

Tiffany placed the phone back on its place and walked back to the kitchen.
“It was Yenny. She said she could not come anymore because her sister asked her to do some more stuff.” Tiffany explicated.

“That’s bad.” Taeyeon spoke softly while placing everything on the table perfectly.

Tiffany walked to the crib with pouting lips.

She took her son and sat on the dining table.

She gestured Taeyeon to sit on the opposite chair so they can start the little dinner.

While having dinner, the two chatted about their work, friends, family and stuff.

“Wanna grab some DVDs?” Tiffany asked as she sat on the couch beside Taeyeon who was holding Chinwoon.

“What about…..” she wrinkled her forehead and pointed her lips, “Barney!” Tiffany squealed.

 “Good enough for me.”

Tiffany scoffed in astonishment, “You’re ok with watching BARNEY?” she emphasized on the purple dinosaur’s name.

“Yeah! I mean, we’re watching it with your 5month old son.”

Amazed, Tiffany placed the DVD on the player and started to watch the big purple dinosaur with his little friends.

Minutes later, Taeyeon heard little snoring.

She looked down to the baby she was holding and found it fast asleep.

But the snoring sound wasn’t synchronized with Chinwoon’s breathing.

She looked down at Tiffany who had her head placed on Taeyeon’s shoulder with eyes closed and mouth agape.

Taeyeon chuckled at the cute sleeping girl beside her.

“Tiffany.” She whispered, no reaction.

“Tiffany.” The other girl just crinkled her nose.

Taeyeon smiled.

“Tiffany!” Taeyeon whispered louder.

This time she got a better response,”10 more minutes.”

Taeyeon’s eyes widened.

“This is not good.” She mouthed.

She slowly moved Tiffany’s head to the couch and placed the baby on the crib.

Then, she slowly carried Tiffany in a bridal way.

To her surprise, Tiffany wrapped her arms around Taeyeon’s neck and pressed her face on the petite girl’s chest.

Once they were on the room, Taeyeon laid Tiffany on the bed and quickly ran back to the living room and transferred Chinwoon to the bedroom.

After doing so, she also transferred the baby crib to the bedroom and place the baby back on it.

Taeyeon stood there at the bedroom, looking intently at the two beautiful creations on the bed and baby crib.

“Taeyeon?” Tiffany spoke on her sleep, “Chinwoon?” she added.

She mentioned their names in an intense tone.

“Please. Don’t. I won’t pick between them.” Tiffany cried.

“What?” Taeyeon shook her head.

Taeyeon could see tears strolling down on Tiffany’s face.

She sat on the bed and hushed Tiffany.

“Shhhh. It’s alright.” She pressed her face on Tiffany’s and the smooth brunette hair with her warm hand.

Tiffany opened her eyes in fear.

She grabbed Taeyeon’s shirt and pressed her face on Taeyeon’s chest hard.

“Don’t leave.” Tiffany cuddled closer.

“Please.” she begged.

Taeyeon felt different that time, having Tiffany on her arms.

Scared, tensed, nervous, happy, excited, cared, and most importantly, loved.

“I won’t leave. I’m here.” She comforted.

“Chinwoon. Where’s Chinwoon?” Tiffany asked anxiously.

Without a word, Taeyeon let go of Tiffany and took the sleeping baby from the crib.

She placed Chinwoon in the middle of the bed and stretched her arm to wrap around Tiffany.

Their bodies were compressed together, giving them enough air to breath.

“Taeyeon.”

“Hmm?”

“What time is it?” Tiffany asked.

Taeyeon lifted her arm and checked her watch, “11:57.”

Tiffany nodded.

“You know what,” she started,”since I was 15, I promised myself that if I won’t get engaged at the age of 25, I would adopt a child.” She was silent for a second or two, “and in just three minute, I’ll turn 26.”

Taeyeon lifted her head to Tiffany’s eyelevel, “Why did you adopt Chinwoon today?” she asked.

“Because I was sure I won’t get engaged today.” Tiffany answered, eyes still locked with Taeyeon’s.

“Were you sure?”

Tiffany just nodded and was the one who broke the eye contact and moved to Chinwoon.

She creased the smooth cheek of the baby boy as her tears started to flow down on her own cheek.

“I don’t think so.” Taeyeon stood up from lying on the bed and sat straight. She took Tiffany’s hand that was creasing Chinwoon and placed in on her chest.

“I know you can’t return Chinwoon to the shelter, which is better.”

“What?” Tiffany didn’t know what Taeyeon was talking about.

“Will you marry me?”