i

11:57, I'm 26

 

After having an early dinner with my best friends last Monday, I thought of it again.

We asked each other, “Who do you think would be most likely to get married first?”

And their answer?

ME!

Married? I don’t think so, but having a baby, yes.

I mean not in a dirty way.

I’m still a for God’s sake.

And I had thought of it since I was 15, that if I won’t get engaged at the age of 25, I would adopt a child.

Crazy at that age, I know.

But hey, that’s what I thought.

Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt adopted kids even though they’re not married yet, fits me too.

Difference is, I’m single and they’re double.

And don’t worry, I’ve been to relationships before and the longest and probably the most memorable was with Kang Jaebin.

Three years just got wasted with just one gun shot.

He died on the day of our engagement party.

How unlucky of me, I know.

Oh, just a reminder. Never trust your body guard or you’ll end up just like my “supposed to be husband”.

May he rest in peace.

So, here I am today, waiting for the clock to hit twelve, waiting for the last day of July, and my last day as a 25 year old single lady.

 

 

 

 

 

Then there it goes,

10

9

8

7

6

5

4

3

2

1

The long hand hits twelve, my judgment day.

If I won’t get engaged today (witch is a 0 out of 100 since I’m single, it could be a 25 out of 100 if a have a boyfriend though), I’ll adopt a baby tomorrow, August  1, my 26th birthday.

And besides, I’m doing it full heartedly.

Have I mentioned that I have already planned whom I will adopt?

I don’t think so.

Yeah, so his name is Chinwoon, a 5month old baby boy at the children’s shelter near my clinic, oh have I mentioned I’m a dentist?

Again, I don’t think so.

I’ve been visiting the children’s shelter since I was 15, after I thought about my plan.

I’ve prepared myself, and good thing, it was all worth-it cause’ that’s what’s where I am right now.

So that’s basically it.

 

-Hours later-

My alarm clock started to ring telling me it’s already 7 in the morning, and today is a Saturday so I’ll be on my clinic from 8:30am to 12pm.

I stretched my arms and legs before getting up and went to the bathroom.

40 minutes later I’m already dressed and I’m just putting on some make-up hoping that my eye bags aren’t that obvious after staying up late last night.

Since my clinic isn’t that far from my apartment, I walked to the usual streets and did my ritual; pass by the news and magazine stand at the corner of the street and get some morning coffee at my favorite coffee shop that’s just a block away from my clinic.

The usual Saturday morning went on.

“I’ll be leaving early today Sulli.” I told my receptionist slash assistant.

“You should doc. It’s your birthday tomorrow; enjoy your last day of being 25.” She had her bright smile on again as she handed me the suction.

“Yeah. Enjoy.” I answered bluntly through my surgical mask.

The room was silent except for the machine I’m using while cleaning the teeth of my patient.

Hmm.

Enjoy huh?

Why wait for tomorrow?

I already fixed the adoption papers last week, why not fetch Chinwoon today?

I thought to myself.

And that was it.

That was my last patient for today.

I left my clinic and walked back to my apartment.

I changed my semi-formal working clothes to my comfortable New-Yorker clothes.

I went down to my little kitchen and preheated the cold pizza from the refrigerator.

After a couple of minutes, I sat at my living room couch with the plate on one hand and a remote on the other.

Flipping through the channels, I passed but this show that shows a mother advertising a crib.

God!

If I’m fetching Chinwoon today, I should prepare his things.

I swiftly shoved in the last piece of pizza inside my mouth.

I ran to the kitchen, got a glass of water, swiftly ran to my bathroom and brushed my teeth as fast as I could. Hey, it’s an emergency. ;D

I locked my apartment door as soon as I left it and dashed to my car.

Since its Saturday, I can tell that the mall is quite crowded, as always.

As soon as I entered the doors of the mall, I directly went to the babies section.

“How may I help you ma’am?” the sales lady greeted.

“Umm. I need that, that, that, this, that, this and this.” I pointed out to the baby stuffs.

“Are they high quality?” I asked the sales lady who was dumbfounded with my orders.

“Well I wouldn’t recommend the crib and stroller you pointed out ma’am. Why not try this brand.” The sales lady led me to a baby crib.

“Hmm. The prize is higher which I presume that it has better quality.” I checked the crib side to side.

I walked around it and the sales lady brought the stroller that she would recommend.

“Ok. What about baby clothes. Where can I find them miss?”

“So you are taking this ma’am?” the sales lady asked with eyes wide open.

With the way she looked at me, I could tell that she thinks I‘m rich after asking this and that.

“Yep.”

“Ok. The baby clothes are there ma’am.” she pointed to the left section of the area.

“Thanks.” Was my only reply.

 I walked towards the baby clothes area and meticulously picked them one by one.

I picked as many clothes as I liked and when I realized I had picked enough, I headed to the counter, paid for it and headed home.

Once I got all the stuff on my apartment, I started arranging them one by one.

“And there!” I placed the hotdog pillow inside the crib.

I stood up straight and hissed loud after the tiring 2 hours.

I looked around my new looking room and praised myself for my accomplishment.

I walked to my night stand excitedly and found my cellphone which says it’s already 4:15 in the afternoon.

I dashed out off my apartment again and headed to the children’s shelter.

Once I got there, I put on my smile which I can’t hide and went to the receptionist.

“Oh! Dr. Hwang!” Yuri, the receptionist happily greeted.

“How many times do I have to tell you Yuri that you don’t have to call me that.”

I slammed my hands on the desk but got a smile on my face, I could tell it was a bright one.

“I have to. I’m on duty.” She answered back.

This girl would never get tired greeting people here.

She’s a good friend too.

She processed the papers for the adoption for me, how nice right?

Don’t be surprised, because she’s the girlfriend of my bestfriend, Jessica.

And yes, by bestfriend is a girl too. ;)

I’m the one who’s surprised that there’s still someone who can manage to understand and love (not in a friendly way) the cold Jessica.

I mean, she’s cold hearted, noisy specially when she’s mad and never stops till you’re the one who gave up.

So there I was, sitting on the lounge of the shelter.

Tap

Tap

Tap

I’m getting excited, I can’t stop my fingers.

I can’t wait to hold my baby again, officially.

Soon, Dr. Yenny came out of the room.

There he is, in his cute little baby clothes, his cute tiny little baby fingers, eyes so bright like the stars, smooth milky white skin…

I can tell I was smiling while watching Dr. Yenny leave the room and walked towards me.

I stood up, feeling like the world was on slow motion.

“Here you go Mommy.” Wow it sounded real.

She passes Chinwoon to my arms and it felt like I was holding the world.

“Now, I believed you already read the notebook.” The doctor wisely smiled towards me.

Proudly I answered, “Yep I already did. I also prepared some stuff for him and researched more.”

“Good.” She gestured for us to sit back down.

God I can’t take my eyes off my little boy.

Ah! I said MY! I just can’t hide my happiness.

“Don’t you have plans of finding a father for him?” Oh, have I mentioned that Yenny is also my friend?

We went to the same medical school, that’s why.

Now, back to our conversation.

Father? Is that necessary?

“Tiffany, it’s necessary to find a father for him soon you know?” Did she just read my mind? Weird.

I wrinkled my nose and anticipated for her words.

“I know someone. Remember Hyoyeon? My dorm mate back in college?”

Ahh, I remember.

“The dancer! Yeah I remember.” I pointed out.

“Yeah.” She nodded. “Her cousin is coming buy, well not coming but moving.”

Ehh? She’s hooking me up with a stranger?

I raised my eyebrows in disbelief.

“Don’t count him as a stranger. I actually met him before and I think you’ve seen him at my graduation.” Man, Yenny’s been reading my mind. But still, I would count him as a stranger.

“Wooyoung. Jang Wooyoung. Remember?” she looked into my eyes, like a knife pointing to my eyeballs asking me to remember hard.

“I don’t think so.” I honestly answered.

She straightened her lips in disappointment and nodded back and forth.

“OK then. It’s up to you missy.” She gave-up and stood up from her seat.

I followed her and walked together to the entrance.

“Oh Dr. Hwang!” Yuri called.

“Last things. You need to sign here.” She showed me a paper which says that Chinwoon is officially not an orphan anymore and me as the parent.

I held Chinwoon with one arm, which I can proudly do since I practiced it before.

I signed on the piece of paper and shoved it back to Yuri.

“Thank you.”

Just then, we heard the tingling sound of the door chimes.