Chapter 9

Is This Love or Hate?

                During dinner there’s not much conversation. There rarely is. I listen quietly to Mom and Dad as they talk about work and they occasionally ask me how school was or how a test went. “I have to work late tomorrow night,” Dad says casually, finishing up his meal. Mom peers up, suddenly looking irritated. She glares at him for a moment and then looks down at her plate.

                “Why?” There’s an obvious hint of suspicion in her voice but Dad doesn’t seem to have picked up on it yet. I stare down at my plate, hoping dinner will end already.           

                “There’s a lot of extra work that needs to get done.”

                “Who else is going to be staying late tomorrow night?” She asks, sliding her plate away. Dad looks up and stares at her for several tense, quiet moments.

                “Does it matter?” He asks, anger rising in his voice.

                “Yes, it does matter!” Her voice rises to a shout. I clamp my hands over my ears and try to drown out their yelling. I’ve completely lost my appetite. I shut my eyes and try to imagine everything going back to normal.

                After several minutes I glance up and realize they’ve both gone silent. “You’re excused, Tao.” Dad says after a few more moments of uncomfortable silence drag on. I quickly get up from the table and storm up the stairs. I slam my door shut and lay down. After a couple of minutes I can feel myself start to get upset and I suddenly burst into tears. Why do they always have to fight in front of me? I hate them. I hate living here. I hate being with them. I take my phone out and call Baekhyun.

                “Hey, Tao,” he says cheerfully.

                “Can I sleepover your house tonight?” I hope he can’t hear how shaky my voice is.

                “Of course, is something wrong?” He asks, obviously worried.

                “I don’t want to stay here tonight.”

                “Are your parents fighting again?” I try to calm down enough to answer but I guess my silence answers for me. “Do you want me to come get you?”

                “No, I’ll be there in a few minutes.” I hang up and quickly start searching around my room. I shove all of my homework, school work, and an extra pair of clothes into my backpack. I open the window and carefully crawl through. Making sure to keep my balance, I walk across the roof and climb down near the garage. I run across the neighbor’s yard and then onto the street.

                It’s just starting to get dark. If I hurry I can make it to Baekhyun’s house before sunset. I don’t know why but I just start to run. I run past all the cars and weave in and out of the crowds of people walking along the sidewalk. I was six when my parents had their first big fight. After that their fights become annual, happening more often than they didn’t happen. Every time they argued or disagreed I would become terrified. Every child worries their parents are going to get divorced when they fight. At that moment you feel like your entire life is crashing down. Usually parents only fight for a few hours or stay mad for a day or two, but that’s not the deal with my parents. Their major fights have lasted for over ten years.

                Baekhyun lives in the neighborhood right next to mine. The houses in his community give off a more home-like feeling than any of the ones in my neighborhood. There are flowers and tress everywhere and everyone’s yard is decorated. The atmosphere sings ‘welcome’. I run up the front yard of the house on the very corner of the block and jog up to the stoop. I’m only able to knock on the door once before it swings open. Baekhyun jumps out and catches me in a surprise hug. His arms tighten around me and I hug him back. “Are you ok?” He asks, looking up at me with worry-filled eyes.

                “I’m fine.” I force a smile. “Thanks for letting me come over.” I hate always needing to invite myself to a friend’s house when this happens but it’s the only way I've learn to deal with it. If I stayed home I’d probably be kept up all night by their stupid bickering.

                “You’re always welcome here.” Baekhyun grabs onto my hand and leads me into his home. I quickly kick my shoes off and stumble up the stairs after Baekhyun. We walk into his room and I drop my bag near the foot of his bed, taking my jacket off a moment later. “Are you hungry?” Baekhyun asks. He's always so sweet and caring.

                “No, it’s ok. I just ate.” Well, sort of. Baekhyun gives me a sad smile as sit down. “Hyung, I’m fine. I promise.” When we were in elementary school I once started to cry in the middle of class because I was so upset by my family's issues. I think my outburst permanently scarred Baekhyun. Some motherly instinct always seems to kick in when he knows I’m upset.

                “What will your parents say when they realize your gone?”

                “They won’t realize I’m gone.” I lay back and rest my head on Baekhyun’s big fluffy pillow. I once attempted to run away when I was in middle school but was too scared to actually pull it off. I stayed in the park and slept on a wooden bench until three in the morning when I finally decided to go back home. When I walked through the front door, dirty and shivering, everyone else was already asleep. Baekhyun sighs and finds a smile.

                “I usually sleep in the middle of the bed, but I’ll take the right side and you can take the left side,” I smile and grab onto his fuzzy pillow. “I need to go finish washing the dishes.” I watch as he skips out and down the stairs. I should probably do my homework, but that idea sounds very unappealing. I think I can go one night without being the perfect student.

***

                “Boys, wake up! You’re going to be late,” Mrs. Byun bursts through the door, waking us up in a startle.

                “What time is it?”  Baekhyun asks, yawning. I rub my eyes and face Baekhyun’s mom standing in the doorway.

                “It’s 7:00,” She says, sounding slightly frustrated.

                “What!?” We both jump out of bed and start fumbling around the room. Homeroom starts at 7:30. I fix Baekhyun’s hair while he pulls on a pair of jeans and we both finish dressing in record time. I grab my backpack and we run down the stairs as quick as possible.

                Mrs. Byun drives us since we’d be terribly late if we attempted to walk to school. During the drive Baekhyun seems to calm down and actually starts singing to the radio. I’m still on the edge of concern. I’ve never been late to school before, and I really don’t want another detention. “How did we sleep in so late?” I ask, trying to get his attention.

                “I think I forgot to set my alarm clock,” He goes right back to singing. I have a feeling Baekhyun comes to school late quite often.  Mrs. Byun pulls up in front of the school and turns off the radio. Baekhyun goes to open his door but it’s obviously locked. He goes into some kind of panic attack for no reason. “Mom! I can’t get out! I’m going to be late! Mom!” He starts yelling and. Some students look at our car strangely.

                “You’re such a dope.” Mrs. Byun walks around the car and opens his door. “You’re not even late.” We look around and realize that most students are just getting to school.

                “Oh! Thanks mom.” Baekhyun hugs his mom and runs off, heading towards the front doors. I step out of the car and grab my backpack.

                “Thanks for driving us Mrs. Byun.” I hug her goodbye.

                “No problem, Tao. It’s always so nice having you with us.” I wave once and then follow after Baekhyun who couldn’t have attracted any more unwanted attention.

                “What was that all about?” Chen walks up and raises an eyebrow. Xui Min follows after him swiftly.

                “Baekhyun thought we were late for school.” I roll my eyes at him.

                “It looked like he was having a spaz attack,” Xui Min laughs out. We walk through the school doors and head to homeroom.

 

                “Chanyeol-hyung wants to sit with us at lunch,” Baekhyun says excitedly.

                “Why?” I shut my locker and turn to look at him suspiciously.

                “Because of me.” He shines a smile.

                “Why don’t you just go sit with him every few days?” I ask. That would make more sense.

                “Because I like sitting at our table, it’s fun. And all the seniors are kind of scary. Especially Kris.” I nod my head in agreement; that is true. Kai is a little intimidating as well. “And I think he likes sitting with us.” He just likes sitting with Baekhyun.

                We head to the cafeteria and meet up with Luhan. “Where’s Sehun-hyung?” Luhan asks, scanning the cafeteria. It’s funny that Luhan calls Sehun ‘hyung’ even though he's older. The two of them always want to sit together despite the fact they never talk much. They just smile happily at each other. I have a feeling Baekhyun is planning something because he always stares at the two of them with his scheming face.

                “He’s over there,” I say and point over to the soda line. Luhan lets out a cute ‘oh,’ and then shuffles off towards the soda line. He goes up and tugs on Sehun’s sleeve, earning himself a surprised smile form the younger boy. 

                “Let’s sit down,” Baekhyun grabs my hand and leads us to our table. I sit down across from him, facing the entrance to the cafeteria. Suho walks in carrying a bag of chips. He makes his way over and sits down beside me, offering everyone a chip. We talk for a while, discussing all of the teachers we don’t like.

                “My graphic art and design teacher hates me. She stares at me throughout the entire period. She always calls on me to answer questions and even if she’s talking to another student she stares at me.” Baekhyun rolls his eyes in annoyance. “I want to slap the .”

                “That’s a little harsh,” Suho says humorously.

                “Not when you’re the one who always has to hand out papers.” Baekhyun has always liked to be dramatic about everything.

                “Hey.” Chanyeol slides in next to Baekhyun.

                “Hi, Hyung!” Baekhyun’s attitude quickly takes a turn for the better. Chanyeol looks up at Suho and stares at him for a moment.

                “What?” Suho asks, sounding annoyed. He gets annoyed at all his old friends when they look at him. He only seems to like us second year students now.

                “Nothing.” Chanyeol puts his hands up in defense. “So feisty.”

                We share small talk for a few moments before Baekhyun seems to get bored. “Hyung, let’s play a game. What was the game you started the other day with the others?” Baekhyun looks up at Chanyeol with admiration. It takes the older boy a moment to realize what Baekhyun must have been refering to. 

                “Oh.” He laughs a little. “We started this type of truth or dare game. Every other person gets a dare or truth, and whoever refuses to answer or do the dare, has to throw out everyone’s garbage at the end of the period,”

                “Let’s play that,” Baekhyun looks at everyone else and we all nod in agreement. That sounds kind of fun.

                “Chen, want to go first?”

                “Sure.” Chen goes to sip his soda.

                “Truth or dare.”

                “Truth.”

                “Are you a ?” Chen starts chocking on his drink and his cheeks turn bright red.

                “We have to answer those types of questions?” He looks embarrassed.

                “Those are the types of questions everyone secretly wants to know,” Baekhyun says, shrugging his shoulders. “You know it’s true.”

                “I-I don’t want to go first.” Chen looks down bashfully.

                “Fine,” Baekhyun says, looking around at everyone else. “Hyung, want to go first?” Baekhyun turns to Chanyeol with excitement in his eyes.

                “Sure.” Chanyeol smiles, obviously entertained by this game he’s started.  

                “Truth or dare?”

                “Truth?”

                “How many girlfriends have you had?” I can tell Baekhyun is personally interested in finding out the answer to this question.

                “Fourteen.” Everyone looks at him in shock, “Starting from kindergarten,” he says, trying to justify his answer. Baekhyun smirks. “Alright, your turn,” Chanyeol playfully elbows Baekhyun in the side.

                “Ok, ok. I want a truth though.”

                “Alright.” Chanyeol his chin, giving the appearance that he’s deep in thought, “When was your first kiss?”

                “It was when I was five years old. Some little girl kissed me on the playground.” Baekhyun starts smiling to himself. “I think I shoved her into the mud afterwards.” We all laugh.

                “You were such a terrible child.” Sehun says and we all laugh again.

                We go around the table a few times, coming up with stupid questions and lame dares.

                “Tao.” Luhan says, “Has someone ever started a rumor about you?” I smile because there actually have been a few.

                “In the first year of middle school, someone started the rumor I had eight girlfriends at one time.” Baekhyun bursts out laughing. He's probably the only person that knows I've never even had one girlfriend.

                “Truth or dare?” I ask, raising an eyebrow at Luhan.

                “Dare?” he says, sounding unsure.

                “Oh, I know a good one,” Baekhyun leans across the table and whispers in my ear.

                “Are you sure?” I ask, surprised.

                “Yes! Do it.” Luhan looks a little nervous.

                “Luhan, I dare you to kiss Sehun.” Luhan’s entire face goes bright red.

                “Come on!” Suho cheers.

                Luhan bashfully turns to Sehun and kisses him on the cheek, causing the other to smile. A cheer of ‘awes’ fill the table.

                “You’re turn, Suho!” Luhan says, quickly trying to berid himself of all the attention. “I dare you to kiss Tao.” Everyone starts laughing and I gawk at him.

                “Why me!?” Luhan’s such a traitor.

                “Come here, Tao.” Suho says flirtatiously, grabbing the side of my face. I try to pull away but it’s no use. Suho leans over and plants a long kiss right on my cheek, rather close to my lips. Everyone starts to laugh, even Suho but he suddenly stops and stares across the lunch room. We all turn to see Lay staring over at our table, looking shocked. And Kris, standing right beside him, shares the same expression. After about a minute Kris regains his composure and tugs on the other’s arm. It takes Lay a moment to look away but they finally walk off, joining Kai and the others at their table.

                Our table falls silent and Suho’s cheerful attitude quickly disappears. His expression almost looks pained now. Chanyeol breaks the silence. “That was weird,” he says.

                Our table goes back to it’s usual small talk but it’s obvious everyone feels slightly uncomfortable now. “I once dared a girl at our table to kiss Kris.” Everyone looks up at Chanyeol, suddenly interested.

                “Really,” Luhan asks. “What did he do?”

                “He didn’t even bother to look over at her. He simply pointed to his cheek and didn’t even pay much attention to her as she pecked him,” Chanyeol says. “He wasn’t much fun.” Everyone laughs a little and then the bell suddenly rings. We all say our goodbyes and head to class.

                I wonder what Lay thought when he saw Suho kissing my cheek… And what did Suho think when he realized Lay saw him do it? He almost looked guilty. And why did Kris look so surprised?

                That certainly was an interesting lunch period.

***

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N- Like my new photo edit guys?? I'm so amazing at photoshop, lol jk, I pretty much >.< Hope you enjoy the chapter~ :) Thanks for all the comments!! :D Love you guys!♥