Never ever drinking again, he said.

The Art of the Other

SeHun wanted to die the very next morning. Actually, it already felt like he was dying as his body ached against the cold hard floorboard. Kai had left him there out of revenge since he and some random stranger ruined Kai’s beautiful pair of Levi jeans last night. SeHun caused the most damage. He clearly remembered hearing Kai’s horrific scream before a slew of profanities directed at SeHun followed after.

 

The boy groaned in hopes that someone would come over to haul him onto the comfy mattress of his bed. He needed something comfortable to help soothe the throbbing headache, the floorboards definitely didn’t help.

 

Hangovers were just as bad as man flu, SeHun concluded.

 

“I am never drinking again...” Kai’s dreary voice could be heard echoing throughout the bathroom and into the corridor, “never ever again.”

 

SeHun sneered at that lie.

 

Kai called, his voice cracking every time he called the younger boy’s name, “SeHun-ah...SeHun...”

 

SeHun remained still in the corridor, not wanting to get up at all; he was in too much pain.

 

“Yah, maknae...” Kai called again, “You owe me for ruining my jeans.”

 

Groaning, SeHun heaved himself from the floor. He hated being the younger one, he also hated the fact that the younger ones in Korea must serve the elder.

 

“Should’ve studied abroad,” he murmured.

 

Moving was a bad idea.

 

SeHun felt his stomach move, he was ready to hurl yet again. Only this time he wouldn’t have to deal with an infuriated Kai scolding him for ruining a certain pair of Levi jeans. Thank God, he thought his ears were going to bleed last night when Kai constantly shrieked about the vomit that appeared to have tattooed itself onto his beloved jeans.

 

The boy hurriedly stumbled his way towards the bathroom.

 

“Oh here you- oh , why, stop, NO!” Kai exclaimed as SeHun dropped himself in front of the toilet before hurling into it.

 

Kai pinched his nose as his eyes squeezed shut. He had seen enough vomit in the past twenty-four hours, and he swore that he’s beginning to develop a phobia from it.

 

SeHun pushed himself away from the toilet once he was done, coughing and spluttering. Kai kept his eyes shut and nose pinched, he was determined to stay in this position until he could hear the toilet flush away the bodily fluids.

 

“Oh SeHun flush the ing toilet, please.”

 

The younger did as he was told. It wasn’t until the noise of the flush subsided that Kai opened his eyes and breathed through is nostrils once again.

 

“How did you manage to get yourself in here?” SeHun questioned as he leaned against the wall, giving Kai a once over to realise that he was sprawled across the bathroom floor pantless. “Where are your precious jeans?”

 

“In the bin...”

 

“You could wash them you know...”

 

Kai narrowed his eyes at SeHun, “They’re beyond savable.”

 

They heard the front door of the flat creak open, followed by the low rumbling sounds of a rolling luggage case. The third flatmate arrived.

 

SeHun straightened his shirt as he stepped out of the bathroom, forgetting about his birds-nest like hair, he wanted to make a good impression for the newcomer. Maybe the newcomer wouldn’t be much of a drinker like Kai, maybe the newcomer isn’t into clubbing, and maybe the newcomer will stop Kai from dragging him out for more clubbing tonight – despite Kai’s earlier claim that he’ll never drink again, he could tell that Kai was the type who can go clubbing every single night.

 

When he reached the corridor, a box dropped against the floor, startling him.

 

“Ahnyeonghaseyo,” a boy with jet black hair, dark eye bags and a fairly muscular frame greeted him, “o-ppa..?”

 

SeHun suppressed a laugh, not just because he didn’t want to embarrass the boy but also encase his stomach decided to act up again. Puking on your first meeting would’ve been bad; then again groping your crush’s chest wasn’t the most fantastic thing either.

 

The two boys in the corridor could hear distant stumbling, followed by a momentary rush of water, then more stumbling.

 

SeHun had a feeling that Kai heard “oppa” and made assumptions. He recalled Kai telling him yesterday how great it would be if they could room with a girl, a hot one too.

 

Within a couple of seconds Kai casually sauntered out of the bathroom wet, with a mere towel covering the lower part of his body as water dripped from the strands of his hair and trickled down his toned body that he had been consistently working on all summer.

He no longer looked half dead.

 

Kai’s voice was slick and oozing with grease as he rounded the corner, “oh, you’re the new flat-”

 

SeHun snickered as he watched Kai’s sly face drop into disappointment upon seeing the newcomer.

 

“I’m Huang ZiTao,” the boy bowed, “just call me Tao.”

 

SeHun composed himself before replying, “I’m Oh SeHun,” he then jabbed his thumb over at Kai, “and this idiot’s Kim JongIn, just call him Kai because he thinks it’s a y name.”

 

Kai heaved out a short laugh before running his hands through hair as he made his way back to the bathroom feeling slightly embarrassed.

 

Tao watched as Kai left, confused.

 

“You don’t call guys who are older than you oppa. Only girls do.” SeHun explained, “You call guys hyung.”

 

Tao’s jaw slacked before he cursed YiXing, in Mandarin, for teaching him the wrong word on purpose. He should’ve known because that someone’s lip curled up in amusement straight after.

 

SeHun soon discovered that Tao had a delicate and innocent personality despite his tough and dark appearance.

When he helped move the boxes into Tao’s room Tao stopped SeHun before he dropped a box on top of a spider. The boy ran over, took the spider and set it free from the window. He explained that spiders were just like humans, living creatures on Earth, creatures that should be treated equally to humans.

Tao knew wushu, but claimed that he would never attack anyone. He disapproved violence. SeHun wasn’t totally convinced as his eyes were constantly transfixed on the swords in a case at the corner of the room.

And later on when he walked into Tao’s room to offer him a drink, the room was already half decorated with panda-themed objects, a panda shaped lamp, duvet with panda faces all over it, laptop covered in panda stickers and so forth. The only thing missing from the collection was a panda plushie; apparently Tao was unable to bring it to Korea from China because his luggage was already too heavy. The boy was crazy about pandas.

 

It was surprising to find out later that Tao was a year old than SeHun and Kai, making him the oldest of the flat – SeHun felt slightly disappointed that he was stuck with the position of being the youngest . Tao had taken a year off after high school in China in order to work for money to attend university in Korea. And apparently a friend of his called YiXing helped him save money by teaching him Korean.

 

“Of all the things why did he tell me to address guys as ‘oppa’?” Tao scowled, earning a giggle from SeHun.

 

Tao was still distraught over that.

 

Later on Tao suggested going over to the flat next door to introduce themselves. SeHun stiffened.

 

He had originally planned on introducing himself to his neighbours today since yesterday, but he was still too ashamed to face his crush. What if his crush told the others that there’s a ert next door? SeHun sighed at the thought.

 

Tao didn’t want to go alone. He was too afraid that he might say something wrong in Korean again. So SeHun was forcibly dragged out of the flat. Kai wasn’t an option; he was sleeping on his bed, still half with that towel around his waist.

 

“Maybe he was too drunk to remember?” Tao suggested as he effortlessly dragged SeHun towards the door after SeHun explained the reason as to why he was so reluctant.

 

“Can’t we do it tomorrow?” SeHun whined, still struggling to pull out of Tao’s grasp.

 

Tao tugged on SeHun’s arm, his eyes narrowed, “Oh SeHun you have to face your fears.”

 

And with that Tao pressed the door bell.

 

SeHun instantly turned away, but Tao quickly tugged SeHun’s arm, pulling him so that he was facing the door, and a step in front of Tao.

 

The door opened, revealing a tall guy with ashy blonde hair.

 

“Ahnyeonghaseyo,” Tao spoke as his lips curled into a grin, “we’re your neighbours.”

 

“Ah,” the tall guy responded before turning around shouting, “LuHan, ChanYeol-ah.”

 

SeHun squirmed under Tao’s hold wanting to escape this instant. He was lucky enough that his crush didn’t answer the door, but now this guy was calling him over?!

 

“Neh?” a deep voice replied as footsteps could be heard nearing them.

 

“It’s the neighbours, where’s LuHan?”

 

Another tall guy with large eyes and short brown hair appeared from behind the blonde one, “He’s in the toilet.”

 

There was still time for SeHun’s escape. But it already was impossible to escape, Tao was too strong for him.

 

“I’m Tao and this is SeHun, there’s another guy called Kai but he’s busy sleeping.”

 

SeHun wished that LuHan, his crush’s supposed name, was busy sleeping too.

 

Only the corner of the blonde one’s lips turned upwards in an attempt to smile, “I’m Kris and he’s ChanYeol.”

 

SeHun was now wishing that LuHan tripped on a bar of soap right now, or fell asleep in the toilet, anything so that he wouldn’t have to meet him today.

 

“Neighbours?” another voice suddenly sounded from behind the two giants standing at the door.

 

He was coming. SeHun wanted to bury himself in a hole right now.

 

“Tao I don’t feel well,” SeHun hissed lowly, bending forward a bit pretending that he was ready to hurl.

 

“Are you sick?” Kris asked worriedly.

 

“Who’s sick?”

 

LuHan, SeHun’s crush, then came into view. The boy halted momentarily, his eyes looking suspiciously at SeHun before they widened as he gasped, “You!”

 

“Kill me now,” SeHun spoke quietly hoping that Tao would actually pull out a sword to kill him then and there despite his claims that he would never attack.

 

“You know him?” ChanYeol questioned, looking back and forth between LuHan and SeHun.

 

“He’s the ‘bian tai’ from the club yesterday night!”

 

ChanYeol scratched the back of his head, “What’s ‘bian tai’?”

 

“Mandarin for ‘ert’,” Kris explained.

 

“You know Chinese?” Tao beamed with delight.

 

“Yeah, so does LuHan.” Kris nodded over at LuHan who was still glaring away at SeHun.

 

Despite the angry glare SeHun couldn’t help but still find LuHan cute.

 

“Can we go now?” SeHun asked after stealing a few glances at LuHan.

 

Tao ignored him, “Are you international students also?”

 

“I am, but LuHan’s an exchange student.”

 

SeHun could feel his heart drop slightly from the realisation that he’ll only be able to see LuHan for a year. Then again, it didn’t look like he would be seeing LuHan much at this rate. Maybe he’ll watch the exchange student from afar, making sure to not get caught. Maintain a distance so he doesn’t do something stupid again.

 

“We should hang out tonight,” ChanYeol proposed.

 

Hanging out meant clubbing. SeHun knew. No way did he want to end up doing the same thing to LuHan again tonight.

 

“NO!” both LuHan and SeHun opposed at the same time.

 

ChanYeol’s eyes widened in amusement, “Wow you guys are in sync.”

 

“I am not going anywhere with that bian tai.” LuHan clarified.

 

LuHan really hated SeHun. There was no chance for him now. They couldn’t even be friends.

 

ChanYeol smirked, “Fine, then don’t come. The rest of us will go.”

 

“I don’t feel like going tonight...” SeHun said dejectedly.

 

Tao squeezed SeHun’s wrist, a sign telling him to come encase Tao says something stupid again. To think that the boy wouldn’t hurt others, but here he was, cutting off the blood circulation to SeHun’s hand.

 

“No,” SeHun hissed.

 

“I’ll convince him,” Tao grinned at ChanYeol.

 

“Soju bombs are on me tonight!” ChanYeol exclaimed happily.

 

So much for hoping that the newcomer would prevent another drunken night out.

 


AN

I need MS Office Word on this new laptop e-e

lolol I just realised that even my other fic, High, started off with the main protagonist waking up from a hangover, I'm not an alcoholic guys!

My eyes ing hurts from making that poster and character profile. The fact that Korean and Chinese fans won't let people edit their photos makes image hunting a lot harder OTL