Letter Sender

A letter to my old self...

 

No one’s POV...

 

                Ryeowook continues to stare at the ceiling... occupied by his thoughts and insights. He glanced around the room and saw every award he received. Then he saw his treasure box... the very box where he hid his most prized possessions... he decided to open it... he hasn’t seen his treasures for how man years.

                He just kept on filling it, but not actually scanning it. It as big as his travelling trolley. He opened it and saw some things. He began to see... or to reminisce every item he kept. The box contains numerous objects such as photo albums, accessories, gifts and etc. But his eyes fell on a particular object... It was a bottle with a rolled paper inside.

                Now that he thought of it... he never got the chance to read the contents. Ryeowook scratched his head... it’s been left unread for 5 years... how could he forget? He found the bottle 5 years ago... the night that the accident occurred.

                Ryeowook  was about to get the letter when he recalled the heading of the letter... how could he forget? For him it was funny back then.

                “A letter to my old self” Ryeowook muttered...

                Then Ryeowook was lost in his thoughts... he wondered why the writer wrote a letter for his old self. Ryeowook recalled what kind of person he was back then... the very image of a cute, sincere, and caring eternal magnae flashed in his mind.

                He smiled at the thought where everyone adores the eternal magnae because of what he is inside and out.

                How he wanted to comfort himself right now... Ryeowook looked at the rolled paper... then an idea came to his mind: To write a letter to be addressed to himself. He went towards his desk where he thought of a good way of greetings... Then he started...

                He started scribbling... he wants to pour everything about himself. He doesn’t know why he wants to write, but somehow he just wanted to let his past self know what he is today... Impossible thing to do... But then, there’s no limit in dreaming, right? He continued to write even though how ridiculous it might seem to.

 

A letter for my old self...

 

                Anyeong Wookie!

 

                First of all, how are you? I know life is a bit tough for you... considering you are still moving your way to the top. You might be surprised on why would I write a letter for you. I’m not sure if this would reach you but I wish this would.

                You might be wondering why I wrote a letter to you in such an inconvenient method, but you see, I wanted to let you know what kind of life you’re going to have in the future. I’m living a good life right now and there’s so much to share, but before that;

                CHUKA-HAMNIDA!!!    

               

                Ryeowook paused and smiled at his first entries. His past self might be curious on why would he congratulate him. He imagines himself frowning but at the same time, excited.

               

                For reaching the top for the next few years :D you have become a successful person!

                YAAAAAYYYYY~~~~

                You might be wondering what kind of person I—you have become... well nothing has changed except that we’re still a cry baby, but it became lesser. Keke~~~ Our passion for cooking and caring for the member remains except... my—our image changed.

 

                He paused again... this is it, he’s going to write it... for him, it’s difficult to describe yourself... you cannot judge yourself alone. But he wants to let his past self know what he’s now...

 

                I can’t recognize my self in the mirror whenever I face it... why?

                From my—our real self tunred to an unrecognizable person... I don’t know what happened then.

                Well, other people said that it’s better to look like the other members who are hot and y. Well you know that we are not that type of person... we’re just simply... like our selves. So I followed what they said.

 

                Yes... Ryeowook could remember it. Other people would say, why can’t he be like Siwon, who has abs? Like Eunhyuk who can dance? Others would say he’s a vulnerable guy... and thought that he’s too feminine to be a guy...

 

                I worked hard to attain it. I said that I must be like the hyungs!

                Then it came a time that I have to show off what I’ve worked for and it felt great! They said I’m the man! They complimented me, praised me because f what I have become. I’ve even managed to make girls drool over me, fantasize over me and woo for me!

                Omo~~~ I was really happy that I’ve became their center of attraction! And most of all, they love me! :D

 

                RyeoWook remembered the positive feedbacks he received nowadays... It felt great when someone praised you. Ryeowook sighed... and continued writing.

 

                I was proud of seeing myself as what I was. And it felt so achieved!

                The hyungs loved me and complimemted me... but Heechul hyung... was disappointed—I really wondered why. This is what they wanted me to be, right? To become like them?

                Then it came a time when I was browsing the internet that I watched a video of me performing at the concert... something came to me... I felt...

 

                Ryewook stopped writing and thought of the word on how to fit with what he’s writing... his face scrounged up of the very word that came to his mind, but he has to write the truth...

 

                Disgust...

 

                I saw myself doing those inappropriate things...is it really me? Is it?

                I read some comments below the said video... one comment struck me...

                ‘Where did the eternal magnae go? :c’

               

                Ryeowook could remember how disappointing it was... letting a fan... no letting fans down because of this new image. With that, the tears in Ryewook’s heart seemed to reached his eyes and a single tear fell.            

 

                That was it... he was gone, replaced by this unknown person dancing in that video... using my body...

                Then for the first time, checked my self in the mirror... there I see an unrecognizable person standing in front of me... I could not find a single of my self in that mirror... I found my real self... locked inside, trapped in this image.

                It became hard... that I have to conceal the true me now and give way to this new me from now on...

               

                He recalled the incident he had earlier in the bathroom... where he saw an unknown person in the mirror. He felt more tears fell from his eyes as he could no longer see himself in that mirror... how he never wanted to be seen like this... but the damage is done... nothing could take anything back anymore...

 

                I’m writing this letter for you, my old self... just to let you know... I am sad :’(

 

                No... he doesn’t want to just inform it to his old self, but he wanted his old self to do something in order to stop this to happen. Ryeowook hoped that this would change the time... to change what he is now before it was too late.

 

                                                                                                From: Your future self... Kim Ryeowook (2012)

 

                RyeoWook admired his piece of work. He rolled it... He looked for a bottle, but he can’t seem to find one in his room when he noticed the very bottle that contained the letter he picked years ago. He took the bottle and placed the rolled paper inside it.

                He placed the letter on his desk... he’s going to read it later after he’ll going to send his letter to the Han river. He corked it tightly so that water won’t go in. He went outside to find DongHae in front of him.

                “Anyeong!” DongHae greets happily.

                “Anyeong, hyung” Ryeowook said and puts on a jacket.

                “Where are you going?” DongHae asked.

                “To the Han River” Ryeowook said as he gripped tightly at the bottle containing his letter.

                “Uhm... it’s late already... why are you going there?” DongHae asked, true it was nearing midnight, but he still wanted to send the letter.

                “Just... going to throw this” Ryeowook said. DongHae noticed there’s a letter in it, he smiled brightly.

                “Sounds fun! Mind if I tag along?” DongHae asked.

                “Sure hyung” Ryeowook said.

                After a few minutes, they went towards the River... Ryeowook looked at the river... then, at the sky.

                The stars were bright... so bright. It reminded him the night he found the bottle with the message in it. He couldn’t believe it... years come and go just like that. DongHae admired the river and smiled at Ryeowook. Ryeowook stood by the riverbank and stared at the view...

                Ryeowook felt sudden sadness... it felt like he’s passing his sadness over to this small bottle. Ryeowook looked at it...

                “Here... written everything I felt for myself...” Ryeowook muttered and pulled his every strength... and threw the bottle on the middle of the river.

                It gave a small splash...

                For some reason, Ryeowook felt comfort. That he was able to confide his hurts on that letter... he knows it’s impossible for that letter to reach his past self. But... who knows. DongHae was amazed...

                “Uwaaa~~~ I want to write a letter too!” DongHae said cheerfully. Ryeowook smiled at his hyung as they trod back to the dorm...

                A 5 year old letter was still waiting to be read.

                As soon as RyeoWook enters his room, he quickly went towards the letter. He found it amusing for not being able to read it for 5 years. It was like a time capsule that prevented him to read it. He took the yellowish, crunchy paper into his hands and unrolled it.

                He starts reading it, it seemed like forever before he was done reading it...

                In a few moments, tears streamed from his eyes... as he read the sender of the letter:

 

From: Your Future self... Kim Ryeowook (2012)

 

 

 

 

 

AN: So there you go... I'll leave the conclusions to you... sometime you have to reflect on your actions whether you like it or not... because sometimes you might regret it. I wrote this fiction... to let everyone know that beneath a thick mask was crying soul inside... thank you for reading, guys :) BTW... do you still recognize the eternal magnae on the picture above?