My Boyfriend

Letters for Punk

 

 

 

Returning the letter was harder than I thought. It was nothing easy compared to returning a lost object to its rightful owner. How much more if you had already peered at its contents and found yourself guilty of committing it?

 

“Kim Jong In!” the owner of the letter, the one who wrote it, rather, was waving her hand at me gleefully. I was not in the very least prepared to see her yet; but, the world is too small for us that it eventually had to let us meet at some point in time, sooner than I expected.

 

“Hi.” I walked towards her. I just prayed that she won’t notice how awkward I am acting at the moment. Breathe in Kai, breath out.

 

“How are you?” She asked me.

 

“I… I’m fine.” I stuttered. How awkward can I get? I usually don’t stutter in front of any other girl but this is an exception. It’s the first time I stutter in front of a girl.

 

“That’s good to hear.”

 

“I…Uh… I wanted to return you this,” I handed the letter to her with my shaking hand. “I read it by accident, I’m sorry.”

 

She looked at me with unfathomable gaze, but she didn’t take the letter from me. Then she spoke with a little voice, “do you want to talk?”

 

“Sure?” my heart pounded in my chest wildly. I’m nervous. I’m actually nervous. I don’t know how to act particularly in front of her. I just don’t get it. Why does she affect me this much?

 

“You know,” she began. “My boyfriend? We are opposites actually. He was the person everyone adored while I am the person no one even wanted to be friends with.”

 

“How could you say that? I like you.” I blurted out. I didn’t actually know I voiced that out. I only knew it when you looked at me with a smiled. I blushed at the realization the she had heard me.

 

She placed her finger on her lips motioning me to keep silent, “Listen to me for a little while.” I nodded my head in response and she went on with her story. “Just like everyone in here, I wanted to be friends with him. However, I couldn’t muster up the courage to go talk to him so I wrote him a letter. I thought he would throw it away without reading it so I sent him letters everyday hoping that he would take a glimpse even just on one of those. He actually surprised me when he told me that he read my letter. That was the happiest day of my life because he actually took notice of me, my letter on top of those love letters he receives every day. Up until now, I’m still writing him a letter because I know he’ll read it.”

 

“I don’t know why you’re telling me all of this. To be honest, I don’t think you should go on waiting for the guy who has forgotten about you. Just forget about him. You’ll find someone else better than him – much better than him.”