The Groom

We Got Married: Shindara

 

It’s been a month since Nari, my long-time girlfriend, broke up with me. My happy and energetic mood was replaced by a sad and dejected mood and I could already feel Leeteuk-hyung and the other Super Junior members getting worried.

 

The only person who knew all about it was Kyuhyun. But seeing the other members’ reactions, he must have told them already.

 

Well, what do you expect? It’s Kyuhyun. He’s pure evil.

 

A week ago, the Super Junior pretty boy leader came home all smiles. He was waving a CD and said a little too enthusiastically, “Gather round, people. I hold the future in my hand!” We all raised eyebrows at his claim and he grimaced. “Not really but...this is still quite entertaining.” We followed him like good dongsaengs although Kyuhyun was very vocal about his dissent. Leeteuk slapped the back of our maknae’s head and let out a menacing laugh as he inserted the CD into the player. He sat next to Ryeowook when it started to play.

 

Donghae let out a loud hoot when the program’s name was flashed on the screen and exclaimed, “O, it’s Strong Heart!”

 

“YG Special?” Eunhyuk turned his head on Leeteuk’s direction and said, “I thought the recording is just today. How did you get this?”

 

The leader half-chuckled, half-frowned as he explained. “Apparently, a staff there has a crush on my sister. He told me that we were mentioned by Daesung-ssi and gave me a copy of the broadcast. He’s so weird. Why would someone have a crush on my sister?”

 

Siwon shushed him as the program started and we all watched in silence, except for occasional whispers coming from Heechul and Yesung. Sungmin, on the other hand, was just quiet, his eyes glued to the screen as the talents for YGE were introduced.

 

“I can’t believe she’s older than us,” Yesung commented when Dara Park of 2NE1 was introduced. I heard assents from almost everybody and I thought the same too.

 

Dara-ssi’s older than me by a year and I already look like her dad or something. Does she even age?

 

I miss Strong Heart.

 

I really do. That was the only time I could have fun rehearsing with Leeteuk and Eunhyuk. But the management wanted me to concentrate more on other things—working out and etcetera—so they pulled me out. Which was a real bummer because now I’ve got too much time in my hands.

 

The excitement became heated when it was Seungri’s time to talk. Apparently, his topic ‘Naughty Sandara Park’ caught everyone’s attention.

 

Naughty? But she looks so pure.

 

Kyuhyun became the most energetic among us. The word ‘naughty’ was right up to his alley and he literally placed his face near the TV, almost kissing it. “Noona, I never thought you’re like that! Kiss!” Heechul and Donghae pulled him back, holding his arms to detain him. He still reached for the TV, screaming, “I like naughty people! Let me go! Let me go!”

 

I chuckled and said, “Ya, hold your horses, Kyu. Why the hell would you like naughty people?”

 

“Because I’m like them!” he replied keenly.

 

Sungmin frowned. “You’re not naughty, you’re evil. Let me repeat that. Evil.”

 

Our maknae scoffed at us and finally sat still. We all went back watching and gave loud oohs and aahs as Seungri continued to reveal his noona’s waywardness. But when the third guy was mentioned…

 

“What about the third guy who waited outside your house on a cold day? He waited for you, why didn’t you come outside?”

 

“Woah! Foul! That’s foul!” yelled Heechul. “All the fanboys are patiently waiting for the dating ban to be lifted, and that person decided to sneak on them?! Unbelievable!”

 

“Dude, you don’t even have her number,” Ryeowook pointed out and got a deathly glare from Heechul in return.

 

“Whatever. It’s still unfair.”

 

Donghae shushed them up and said, “Be quiet, will you? Boom-hyung is saying something.”

 

“Is that third person a singer as well?”

 

We all waited and cracked up when Seungri said, “How did you know?” Everybody was laughing their guts out except for Heechul and Sungmin.

 

Wait, Sungmin?

 

I understand Heechul’s reaction. He’s been a fanboy ever since 2NE1’s debut, but Sungmin? It totally boggled my mind. I don’t really think that one radio confession would actually make our aegyo-filled dongsaeng fall for someone. Unless…

 

I nudged his shoulder and whispered, “If you don’t smile this instant, I’m going to think the third guy was you.”

 

He blushed beet red at my words but didn’t smile. In fact, he looked a little bit hurt. Feeling I hit a nerve, I shut up and busied myself watching the television. The doorbell rang and Sungmin went to the door to see who it was. We paused the CD for a while when one of our managers entered.

 

“Annyeong, everyone.” He glanced at Heechul who was having his tantrum and asked, “What’s with him?”

 

“He’s having his monthly period,” Eunhyuk joked and we all laughed. “What’s up, Hyung?”

 

Our manager took out a piece of paper and we instantly knew what it was—another letter from the management. A letter would mean another project. “Well, the production staff called the president. The fourth season for WGM is being organized. So the president volunteered one of you. Who will it be?” He turned to Sungmin and asked, “Sungmin, you want?”

 

Sungmin scowled and said, “I’ve been on Pit-a-Pat Shake already!” He walked out and went to his room, banging the door on the process.

 

“He also has his period,” Donghae answered our manager when he asked what was wrong with Sungmin.

 

I raised my hand, much to everyone’s surprise and said, “I’ll take the gig.”

 

“What? Are you sure?” Leeteuk asked, his eyes worried. “I thought you hated the show?”

 

I smiled sadly and said, “Yeah, but I have nothing else to do.”

 

My girlfriend was my life.

 

But she broke up with me.

 

So I’m taking this fake marriage as a way to forget.

 

Forget that I don’t have a life.

 



 

The day for me to meet my TV wife has come. And I was starting to regret it. Not the marriage part. The bringing-your-group-members-to-see-your-wife part.

 

Everyone else looked so excited when I received the letter from WGM. It was Siwon who read it at the breakfast table.

 

“Congratulations, Shin Dong Hee. Tomorrow you’ll be meeting with your TV wife. You’ll find her at her agency’s building wearing a pink shirt with blue stars. Please wear this blue shirt, so she would know who you are.” Siwon flipped the letter and a smaller piece of paper fell. He picked it up and started to read. It was my TV wife’s address.

 

“YGE?!” Ryeowook blurted out when he realized where it was. He snatched the paper from Siwon and said, “OMG. It is YGE.”

 

I grabbed the paper from him and stared at it. Girls from their company can be counted from my toes alone.

 

Who could it be?

 

Despite me saying no, everyone volunteered to accompany me to the YGE Building. I knew most of them weren’t really there to support me. It was just the thrill of finding who my wife will be that made them go.

 

The producer gave me a cue to speak to the cameraman and I turned to his direction. “Right now, I’m in the van, on my way to see my wife.” I glanced at my back where the rest of Super Junior was. “They’re with me because—“

 

“We love him!” they chorused and I scratched the back of my head in frustration.

 

“Yes, they love me. I guess.”

 

The van finally stopped and we all went out, but stopped on our tracks when we saw everyone wearing a pink shirt. And when I say everyone, I meant everyone, including the guard. I turned to the camera and said, “Am I going to marry the guard?!”

 

Both the cameraman and the producer chuckled at my question. I stepped inside, with the camera crew and my co-members trailing behind me. We stopped on the elevator and waited for it to open, and when it did, a familiar-looking blonde girl stepped outside. She was wearing a pink shirt with stars, but the stars were red.

 

“CL-ssi?” I asked with a frown.

 

She looked at us and said simply, “No…I’m not your wife.” We all watched her walk away from us and I couldn’t help but think she looked like a zombie with dark circles under her eyes.

 

We all boarded the elevator but stopped on the next floor. I led the way, as if I knew where to go, and peeked in every room, looking for the girl with the blue stars. Minzy and Bom passed us by but they were wearing shirts with yellow and green stars, respectively.

 

We continued to go from room to room, floor to floor but every girl we met wore a pink shirt with a different colored star. I was already getting impatient with the whole mystery part when Kyuhyun gave a yelp. We all turned our heads in his direction, concerned that he may be hurt, when he exclaimed, “Omo! They have a game room!”

 

Leeteuk grabbed him by his ear and said, “We’re not here for that!”

 

They continued bickering and I chuckled. Getting married might be a good move. At least, I could get away from all the childishness of our group.

 

I would miss all of that, though.

 

We were on the last floor and exhausted every room except the last one across the corridor. I ran to it, eager to end the suspense and opened the door. I saw someone wearing the pink shirt with the blue stars. It was the person I least expected. It was TOP…of BIGBANG.

 

You’ve got to be kidding me.

 

“Oppa? You’re my husband?” he said when he saw us. He did an aegyo and gave a feminine squeal. “Omo! This is all so shocking!”

 

Even the crew was at shock and we all stood there gaping at him. A door opened from across the room and a thin, milky white arm appeared. The voice said, “Ya, Seunghyun-ah! Give me my shirt! My husband will be coming anytime soon!”

 

TOP snorted and removed the piece of clothing from his body and gave it to the person owning the arm, saying, “Aish, you’re no fun.”

 

Great. Who will it be? G-Dragon?

 

The voice sounded feminine so I sort of doubted it. And when she came out, she looked as shocked as we were.

 

My wife is Sandara Park?