Bad Woman

The Red Scarf

P/S: I suggest you play Nabbeun Yeoja (Bad Woman) by FT Island in the background.

 

Enjoy and PLEASE COMMENT.

 

                       

                 Like any other night, Seoul was alive. People are running here and there chased by time itself. Couples were having the time of their lives, drowning themselves amidst the city lights. For the lonely ones, the pavement was willing to accompany their heavy journey towards their destinations. In a distance, a tall figure was approaching. Kris Wu walked down a familiar street, sighing heavily as he dragged his feet scraping his soles on the pavement. It was getting harder for him to empty his thoughts lately. He needed them out but he kept on failing to do so. Slowly he stopped dead in his tracks and looked upwards to the starless sky. It's just a normal night, he thought. He buried both his hands in his pockets as the cold was starting to get to him. He was pondering hard when he heard voices from within a pharmaceutical store just around the corner. The voices were not gentle but were rather barking and out of anger. For whatever reasons the person was mad, Kris thought it would be best if he did not witness it. But something tells him he just had to see what was happening.

 

                Inside the store, an old man was waving his hands up in the air for what seemed to be gestures out of anger. He was scolding a young woman whose back was facing Kris. The woman replied the angry man while bowing non-stop, Kris assumed to be apologising, but somehow this did not soften the man's heart. Just when the man's right hand was about to fly across the woman's cheek, Kris dashed into the store, pushing the door wide open and grabbed the old man's hand, stopping him midway. The young woman was already covering her face out of fright. Everything was silent and it seemed like the time stopped for a couple of minutes. The old man's voice was ragged and his eyes indicated that he was about to give a blow towards Kris instead. Kris in turn gave him a cold look and let his wrist go.

 

"Ahjussi, I'm sorry for interrupting but I can't let you hit a woman." Kris confronted, looking down on this old man as he towered over him.

 

"Who are you? Why are you defending her? She's a thief!" the man exclaimed. Kris diverted his attention towards the young woman. She had a unique face, one Kris thought was one of a kind but her eyes were sad. Her jet-black hair fell perfectly down her back, so smooth like cascading water. She was crying and her skin was a bit pale but somehow, with her red lips she managed to look so beautiful. Kris was quite taken aback by the appearance of this woman but he quickly gained composure and asked the woman.

 

"What did you steal?" Kris asked in his deep voice.

 

"I didn't steal anything! I was buying some medicine and I just placed the money on the counter because I was in a hurry and I didn't know the money wasn't enough. It's the usual cost for the same medicine and I had nothing more on me to pay this ahjussi." she replied in between sobbing. Kris was once again amused by her but this time it was due to the way she speaks. She was so soft-spoken and seemed so sincere that it was impossible to believe this young woman was a thief. Kris turned towards the old man and asked how much did the woman owed him.

 

"I'll pay the extra amount." Kris stated without meeting the woman's eyes.

 

"What are you doing?" she asked, sounding mad suddenly.

 

"Do you or do you not need this medicine?" Kris asked with equal agitation.

 

"I do but you don't have to-"

 

"That's settled then." Kris cut her short. He proceeded to the counter and placed a few bills before walking towards the exit acting like nothing had happened to have disrupted the peace within the store.

 

                The woman chased after Kris as he exited the store. Upon reaching outside, her hand was already grabbing his. Kris was shocked due to the contact. Her hand was freezing cold and he stopped in his tracks. He was silent for awhile.

 

"Excuse me. Please wait." she pleaded. Slowly Kris turned to face her and her cheeks were already flushed due to the coldness. Only then that he realised that she was not layering herself. She was not lying, she really was in a hurry before.

 

"Yes?" Kris frowned.

 

"Please. Let me repay you. It's the least I can do after what you've done. You don't know how much this means to me." she was pleading so sincerely that it was almost heartbreaking to see her doing so.

 

"I was sincere back there. You don't owe me anything, I can assure you that." Kris looked into her eyes. Still he found nothing but sadness in them and he was intrigued to know the reasons behind it. He was rejecting this woman's plea but at the same time he wanted to know her better for reasons he himself did not know. For the first time ever, Kris was actually taking interest into someone. He was quite shocked at his reaction and he was quite afraid as well. She made him feel this way. Who was this girl?

 

"Please. Let me buy you a meal or something." she continued to plead. Kris stared into her eyes, drowned in them and he finally agreed.

 

"Hold on. How are you going to pay for anything if you don't have anything on you right now?" Kris asked, suddenly remembering the incident earlier.

 

"I'll run home to get some. I promise it won't take me long since my place is not far from here. Please just stay here." with that, the woman ran immediately and in mere seconds was out of sight. Watching her actions, Kris slowly curved a tiny smile at the corner of his mouth and shook his head. What has he gotten himself into?

 

5 minutes later.

 

                The same familiar figure was running towards him. Kris was standing absolutely still for the past few minutes, so content with his surroundings. Once she reached him, she was completely out of breath. She actually looked much paler than before and Kris' eyebrows furrowed. He was genuinely concerned.

 

"You know you didn't have to run right? You know I'll hold on to your words." he assured her, searching her face for any sign of affirmation. Instead of replying, the woman simply waved his statement away and laughed. Her laugh was music to his ears and Kris remained glued to his spot, processing these crazy thoughts. What was this girl doing to him? He had only spent not more than 20 minutes with her and already he felt comfortable.

 

"I'm sorry for not introducing myself. That was pretty bad of me. I'm Joohyun." she bowed slightly and smiled sincerely. Kris observed her actions and were obliged to return them.

 

"I'm Kris." he replied calmly, bowing slightly in return.

 

"That's a unique name. I don't think you're from around here." Joohyun assumed, secretly capturing Kris' spectacular frame with her mind. He was so tall but somehow it was not awkward for her. She felt ... safe.

 

"That's because I'm not." he confirmed her statement while smiling. Joohyun was caught off guard. It was her first time seeing him smile and it was enough to cause her stomach to flip and her insides to churn. He was the most handsome man she had ever seen. Joohyun managed to regain her composure and finally asked in confidence.

 

"Come, I know a good place to eat dinner. We can talk more there." Joohyun invited, while putting up gestures asking him to follow her. Instead of protesting, Kris walked closely beside her as instructed. From afar, anybody who would take the time to speculate this exchange would have thought that they were a couple. 

 

The reality of the situation was, they really did look good together.

 

------------------------------------------------------------

   

             One week had passed and all Kris had in mind was the black-haired girl who possessed a smile which could instantly lift his mood no matter how down he was. He ached to see it again and he hated the feeling at the same time. It was alien to him. He never thought he would feel such attachment to anybody. All these years, he had depended on no one but himself. Frustrated with the paperwork in hand, Kris jammed his thoughts simply because of one woman. One woman who he did not even know for sure who she was. He moved away from his desk and approached to sit on the edge of his bed. Slowly he rubbed his face with both his palms, completely clueless as to how to chase the feeling away. Deep down inside, Kris knew that he just had to meet Joohyun once more. He just had to.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------

 

                 The following night, Kris found himself waiting on a bench closest to the pharmaceutical store after returning from work. It was the same day of the week since he had last encountered her. He had had enough of his jumbled up thoughts making him unable to concentrate on his work all day so he decided that there was only one way for it to stop. He was not expecting anything that night but somehow he had hoped that she would show up anyway. Kris had a warm cappuccino in his right hand to keep him warm and comfortable. I'd wait here all night if I have to, he thought. 

 

               Almost two hours had passed and Kris was already shivering due to the cold. His hair was covered in snow and he did not even bothered to shake them off. He was sure that Joohyun would turn up anytime soon. Looking down on his lap, Kris hugged his body and prayed that his body would not betray him. The coldness was slowly seeping through his layers of clothing and he knew he would not able to withstand the coldness much longer.

 

"Kris?" a familiar voice called him out. Kris slowly looked up and to his relief, it was her. 

 

            Joohyun, unlike last time, layered herself with plenty of clothing, a red scarf sits comfortably around her neck and her cheeks were not flushed. This time round, Joohyun's cheeks were a healthy shade of pink and her eyes were not as sad as before. However, Kris realised that she was a bit thinner than the last time he saw her. Smiling, Kris nodded in her direction, unable to say anything due to the bitter coldness.

 

"My God Kris-ssi, have you been staying here the whole night?" Joohyun asked, somehow sounding mad at Kris' ridiculous behaviour. She was in front of her and with her hands on her hips, she looked so much more adorable, Kris thought. Kris slowly nodded as a respond. She brought her right hand up to his forehead and felt his temperature.

 

"You're burning, Kris-ssi! We have to get you to warm up and quick." before Kris could protest, Joohyun was already pulling him to stand up and hugging his waist to help him walk. Kris wanted to apologise and thank her but all he could muster was a smile. Panicking, Joohyun brought him to her place as it was much closer since they were already running out of time

 

             Joohyun had Kris to lie down in her living room immediately upon arrival at her place. Kris managed to make out the fact that this young woman was living alone and he was not sure if he liked that idea. A part of him was mad and worried that she would have no one to protect her in case something bad ever happened to her. She quickly grabbed all the blankets she could find and actually buried him with it. She walked back and forth from one room to the other, frantically searching for something. Finally, she sat down beside him and looked him straight in the eyes.

 

"We have to get you out of those clothes. They're already soaking wet. You'll get worse if you don't change." Joohyun stated, slightly demanding but he liked the fact that she was worried. Kris managed to nod and slowly he got his coat off and pulled the shirt off above his head. For about two minutes, Joohyun remained silent as her eyes fixated on Kris' toned body - his impressive biceps and abs. Kris noticed her staring but instead of stopping her, he was staring at her in return. They remained in that state for what seemed like hours. Her face was serene, so calm and so beautiful and all Kris wanted right then and there was to own her. To make her his and nobody else's. 

 

"Here.. you can wear these. I think it'll fit you, Kris-ssi. I .. um.. have to get the kettle running." Joohyun said trying so hard to change the subject but Kris was still staring at her, transfixed by her charms. The way she talked, the way she acted, everything about here was enthralling. Instead of following her instructions, Kris was quick enough to grab her wrist and pulled her back to his side. His arms immediately wrapped around her tiny frame, enclosing the space between them, his breath tickling and warming her neck. To his surprise, she did not protest. Slowly Joohyun brought her arms to embrace him as well. They stayed like that longer than Kris had expected, embracing each other and Kris was finally able to feel the ultimate warmth of a loving figure. 

 

"Kris... " Joohyun finally spoke, reluctant and at the same time trying to let go.

 

"Please. Please don't leave. Stay here with me." Kris pleaded so softly it was barely audible. Joohyun was taken aback and slowly she hold both his cheeks and stared at him in the eyes. For some reason, Joohyun's eyes were even sadder than before. She mustered great strength to encourage him.

 

"I'm not leaving." she reassured him, rubbing his cold cheeks. Not as soon, she thought.

 

         She embraced him tightly, letting all her sorrows and her worries drift away in the cold night. For whatever reasons for why she opened her home to this man, embracing him like this - she was not about to speculate further. One thing she knew, this was a gift for her and being in his arms felt so right. Like nothing could ever go wrong.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------

 

              A month had passed and the couple had experienced so much together. Kris was a happy man, living his life with a purpose and Joohyun made him realised that there was hope for leading a better life than just scathing by the years. They spent a lot of time together and every now and then, Joohyun would ask Kris to do things for her and she would always say "just once" as a form of a plea. Kris would always feel disturbed and on a normal day just like any other day, he finally confronted her on the matter.

 

"Joohyun-ah. Why do you keep saying 'just once' every time you want me to do something for you?" he searched her face for a slight clue. Kris began to notice that Joohyun was getting even thinner and it aggravated his concerns. Joohyun simply smiled and looked at him in the eyes.

 

"Let's not question things or you're treating me to ice cream again." Joohyun smiled cheekily causing Kris to drop the subject and he tickled her as a form of punishment. Joohyun was laughing so hard and had to hold his arms to stop him from punishing her further. Joohyun's face dropped as if she had remembered something bitter and she fell silent almost immediately.

 

"What's wrong? Did I hurt you?" Kris asked, panicking.

 

"Kris, I have to pour something out but you have to promise me you'll listen all the way. Do not stop me or interrupt me no matter what." Joohyun stated slowly. Confused, Kris nodded gently and asked her to continue.

 

"First of all, I'm sorry. I'm sorry for everything, Kris. Don't ever ask my why but please just accept my apology," slowly she fished out a familiar red scarf from her pocket and placed it on his palms. "Secondly, whenever I'm not around, I want you to wear this or just keep this with you at all times. No matter what." Kris was about to protest when Joohyun added.

 

"Please don't ask me why I'm doing this. You promised me you won't and I'm holding onto your words. Please." remembering the first time they met when she was also pleading, Kris was silent. He had no choice but to agree but a part of him felt like something was so wrong. Pushing all the bad thoughts from his mind, he leaned towards her.

 

                Slowly, Kris planted a soft kiss on her forehead and Joohyun smiled. She leaned to place her head on his chest to feel his heart beating. It was always calm, always so soothing unlike hers. She felt protected and so loved. She did not care the fact that a month ago this young man was a stranger. She had him and that was all that mattered. The truth of the matter was, Joohyun was Kris' first ever love and Kris was Joohyun's. They formed an ultimate bond together, slowly he linked their fingers together where it fitted perfectly and comforted the love of his life. Watching her eyelids shut, Kris sudden fear was to lose her but deep down Kris knew that nothing was ever going to break them apart. Nothing.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------

 

               It was just a normal day for Kris, buried with piles of paperwork to go through and it seemed never ending. He questioned sometimes why was he even there and slowly he had the urge to meet up with Joohyun. He had not received any calls or text messages from her all morning and he was already getting a bit worried. Unable to stabilise his thoughts, he grabbed his iPhone and sent a text message Joohyun's way.

 

Joohyun-ah, where are you?

 

               Twenty minutes had passed and still Joohyun had not replied. Kris was beginning to feel a knot forming inside his stomach, fearing something bad had happened to her. He glanced at the clock on the wall, praying under his breath that the day would end already. He could not wait just sitting in his office without any news from her. It was driving him mad. A phone call interrupted his thoughts and he quickly snatched his phone. The call was from Joohyun and he felt a smile forming.

 

"Joohyun-ah!" he answered immediately.

 

"Hello, yubuseyo? It this Kris?" Kris frowned immediately hearing a male voice from the other line. He sat up straight quickly.

 

"Yes this is Kris. Where's Joohyun?" he asked demandingly.

 

"Sir, I'm calling from the general hospital. Since you texted I figured you had connections with Joohyun. Can you please come here as fast as you can? I'm afraid Joohyun wouldn't be able to withstand it much longer."

 

Joohyun would not be able to withstand it much longer.

 

               The words echoed in his head and Kris froze in his seat. Without so much ado, Kris grabbed his coat and dashed out of his office in a split second. He completely ignored the quizzical looks shot his way by his colleagues. 

 

Meanwhile, at the hospital.

 

"Please doctor. Promise me whatever happens and no matter how much he asks, please don't tell him what's wrong with me. I beg you." Joohyun pleaded the doctor with tears streaming down her cheeks. The doctor sighed and finally agreed, patted her shoulder softly. Just as their conversation ended, Kris barged through the door looking as if he had seen a ghost. 

 

"Joohyun??" he asked, tears streaming down his cheeks. Joohyun could not contain her emotions and burst out in tears, immediately pulling him into an embrace.

 

"Mianhae, Kris. Mianhae." she managed to apologised in tears. Kris noticed Joohyun looking real pale and her eyes were weak. He felt his insides churned and his heart was breaking into thousands of pieces just watching her at that state. Why was this happening to him?

 

"Please. Don't leave me. Not now, Joohyun-ah." Kris begged, crying his eyes out and placing his head on her shoulder holding her so tight to him. 

 

"Mianhae..." Joohyun hold both his cheeks, wiping his tears away for the first and the last time. "What we had was real, Kris. Please treasure it with you forever and please don't forget what I've told you. I'm sorry for not telling you earlier for fear that you would quit on me. I'm sorry for leaving you like this but know that if I hadn't have a deadline, I'll be beside you everyday. Please remember me always. You are a gift for me, Kris. My life was dull and everyday I knew I was getting closer to leave this world and you made everything worthwhile. Saranghaeyo, Kris. Saranghae.." she trailed off and together they cried their eyes out, hating the world to have been so cruel to their love. To have paired them up when they were already running out of time. 

 

Saranghae... Kris.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

              It has been a month since Joohyun's funeral. Kris stood firmly overlooking the ocean, his hands inside his pockets. The air was still cold but his insides were warm. His eyes were tired of crying every single night. He felt dead at heart and witnessing the unchanged nature around him as if nothing had happened, made him even more bitter. How could the nature stay the exact same way when a lot has happened in such a short period of time? Was it fair? Slowly he pulled a familiar red scarf out from his pocket and stared at it as the minutes passed. Just when he was about to wrap them around his neck, he saw a written message on the corner of the scarf, in ink. He was startled for awhile and finally he read it.

 

Kris,

 

What's with that frown? Smile, love. For that smile was the first reason for me to fall for you that night. I don't want you to give up on life, Kris. When I first saw you, you were lost and so was I. Together we managed to figure out that a reason does not have to be seen for you to confirm it's really there. I know it will be hard for you but that night you told me you were holding on to my words. Now, I'm asking for you to do it again. You gave me a purpose in life when I had none. You gave me light. Please know that I will always love you, Kris Wu. Don't ever forget me and don't ever treat any other girl for ice cream, ever. 

 

Saranghaeyo, Kris.

 

With all my love,

Seo Joo Hyun.

 

               Even though it was hard, Kris managed to curve his lips into a sincere smile.

 

"Nabbeun yeoja." he said as a tear rolled down his right cheek. He planted a kiss on the red scarf before turning around to walk towards the opposite direction until he was completely out of sight. 

 

Seo Joo Hyun, I will always love you. Because of you, I'm a new man. Because of you, my life was perfect. Thank you for everything.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------

 

There it is, my second fanfic. I'm sorry to have made it such a sad one but I can't help it! I'm sorry as well to have not warned you all there's a death of character. I figured it would spoil the ending. I hope you liked it! It was hard for me as well since I had to type them out in tears haha.

 

Kamsahamnida everybody!