Chapter 4: Yoona

Jr. Spring High

"Few things are more depressing than eating alone in a crowded cafeteria. Well, maybe that's an exaggeration. But there I was, sitting by myself, while everyone else around was having fun with their friends. The big room was filled with the noise of laughter and yelling.  I tried to make each bite of tuna fish last as long as possible in hopes that either Ryeowook or Taeyeon would show. Where were they anyway? I'd eaten lunch with Kim Ryeowook and Kim Tae-yeon practically every day since Jessica and I started Jr. Spring High, and usually there she was." Im Yoona said to herself. Taeyeon was rushing through the lunchroom with her bag in tow. Her long ,straight black hair bobbed on her shoulders. Taeyeon gave Yoona a cheerful wave and headed straight to Yoona's table. "Hey, Yoona," Taeyeon said breathlessly, seating into the seat beside Yoona. "Hi," Yoona replied as she watched Taeyeon pulled a yogurt out of her bag. "Where's Ryeowook?" Yoona asked. "Don't know," Taeyeon said as she ate her yogurt. "Have you seen him today?" Yoona asked. "Hmmmm," Taeyeon paused for a moment, then shook her head. "I guess not," Taeyeon added. Yoona's eyes narrowed. "Taeyeon and Ryeowook have been best friends for years. Usually they hang out together as much as possible. I wondered for a moment if they were having a fight. But no, Taeyeon would probably mentioned something about it to me. But Taeyeon seemed upset." Yoona said to herself. "So where were you, why are you late?" Yoona asked. "Didn't I tell you? Mr. Shin called a last-minute drama-club meeting." "Oh, ok" Yoona said. "A strange little pang stirred in the pit of my stomach. I wasn't sure why. Maybe it was because Taeyeon is always going on about the drama club these days. She'd joined only a few weeks ago but she's already seemed like her life had changed drastically. All of a sudden she had a lots of great new friends." Yoona said to hereself. "A filmmaker is shooting in our school, He needs extras for a school scene. Mr. Shin is going to rent a bus so that we can all go." Taeyeon said. "That sounds great." Yonna said. Taeyeon kept shoveling yogurt into . "At lunch we used to talk about what Taeyeon, Ryeowook and I were going to do. But that was back in the days when the three of us were working on the Spec, the school newspaper. Or when the three of us and  Siwon decided to put out Zone together: Jr Spring High's coolest alternative magazine. That had been fun. But recently we'd decided to turn Zone into a web site: Zone.com which had been a major amount of work. And now that the site was up... there was really nothing for us to do anymore as a team. No more deadline pressure. No more deadline pressure. No more work sessions stretching late into the night. No more hanging out and laughing talking just... suddenly I realized Taeyeon was staring at me." Yoona said to herself. "What?" Yoona asked, glancing up. Taeyeon smiled. "There's plenty of seats on the bus if you want to come." Taeyeon said. Yoona frowned. Standing around on a movie set all day was not exactly Yoona's idea of fun. "Wait a second, why was I mad? Taeyeon was just trying to be nice to me." Yoona thought to hereself. And then it hit her, Yoona was jealous not of Taeyeon's being in the drama club of course but of her being really enthusiastic about something that didn't involve herself; Yoona. "The fact of the matter was that I should have been doing the same thing. I needed to find my own activity: something to fill the time that Zone once had." Yonna said to herself. "Hey, is something wrong, Yoona?" Taeyeon asked worriedly. Yoona shooked her head. "Nope," Yoona answered. "And for the first time she'd sat down, I smiled. I had a plan. I was going to get involved. I didn't know with what yet, of course but it didn't matter. Whatever it was, it was going to be good. and best of all, I wouldn't have to worry about being stuck alone at lunch again if Ryeowook and Taeyeon didn't show up if I will join a sports club, music club or something I will have more friends and I will not worry if Ryeowook and Taeyeon is not with me in lunch at least I'll have my new friends to eat lunch with me and have some fun." Yoona thought to herself.

 

            ~END OF CHAPTER 4~