Loss. Love

Sleepwalking

When Kyungsoo finally saw her sitting on the bench with a novel in her hands, he felt relieved she didn't look exactly like she did in the photo, which bears a disturbingly uncanny resemblance to his first love. 

Her name is Oh Jiwon. Park Chanyeol's best friend in middle school. She looked up instinctively when Kyungsoo approached.

After he introduced himself, she still looked a bit confused. It's almost always like that. People didn't understand what their job was about even after explaining. The most common question was: "Are you a private investigator?" Otherwise, the majority of them would just nod as if in comprehension but their wary looks betrayed their true feelings.

With Jiwon, she belonged to the latter.

 

"Do you remember Park Chanyeol?" He showed her a photo. 

Her eyes flickered with a sense of recognition. 

"Why do you ask?"

"He said you're his best friend in middle school. And he's looking for you. Do you want to meet him?"

The girl glanced over Kyungsoo's shoulder. 

"He's here?"

"He's standing right over there by the tree."

Chanyeol's head was lowered and he's kicking some imaginary object with his foot. 

 

"I guess he heard the news..." She uttered before she could stop herself, throwing a look at Kyungsoo. 

He didn't probe, but smiled reassuringly. He had this peculiar ability to make people lower their guards with his unassuming air, which made him pragmatically effective for the job. 

She relaxed and sighed.

"He's not actually best friends with me... he's.. best friends with my brother. And my brother... passed away recently."

Kyungsoo didn't quite grasp what this entailed. As if reading his mind, the girl continued, "My brother and Chanyeollie... they were very close before. They got to know each other through me. Something happened between them after that... they fought... and they didn't see each other anymore."

Her explanation hadn't shed any further enlightenment upon Kyungsoo, but he said nothing, only nodding his head. As if prodded by encouragement, she carried on: "I-It's nice to know that... after so many years, he still remembers."

After a few seconds of silence, she spoke again: "Can I talk to him?"

____________________

 

Kyungsoo lingered around as Chanyeol and Jiwon conversed quietly at the bench. At one point, she had one arm around Chanyeol like a big sister as he nodded and lowered his head despondently, wiping tears away from his eyes. It's a bit unsettling to see a giant like him being comforted like a small boy.

It didn't seem like the typical love reunification Kyungsoo was familiar with. 

 

And suddenly something clicked in Kyungsoo's brain. The one Chanyeol loved wasn't Jiwon.

It's her brother. 

 

After several minutes, Chanyeol returned to Kyungsoo, giving a somewhat embarrassed smile. 

"Thank you." He held Kyungsoo's hands and bowed. He snorted back some mucus, shook his hand again and repeated: "Thank you."

____________________

 

The meeting with Jiwon sparked a drive of spontaneity in Kyungsoo. After bidding farewell to Chanyeol, he sat in his car for a full 5 minutes. When he turned the ignition again, he knew where his next destination is.

That place where both of them knew.

 

 

 

_________________

 

Ah, sorry for the many fillers... I wanna plot out some things so they will wrap up nicely in the end you see ~ heehee~ Do stay with me! ^^