Day 553

A Little Too Late

      

        You button your beige long coat together, putting a loose strand of curled hair behind your ear. Looking at your watch, you see the time.

        "11:15," You mumble, "Christmas morning." and bitterly smile.

        Leaving your rented apartment, you arrive at the nearest station in a matter of minutes. The cart was almost empty. Most people are at home celebrating with their family and loved ones. You feel bad really, going against Kris' words may lead to what they predicted. But you don't want to live without knowing what could've happened. It is painful to see Yixing like this, the least you can do is to be with him. Didn't the vow promise to love each other regardless of death and sickness?
The sounds of the train tracks glides smoothly between your ears.

        "Dosan Station." A female voice announces through the speakers, allowing you to prepare to get off. Walking out of the station, you watch the light snowflakes land onto the white carpet, thickening it layer by layer.

        You clench your star pendant in the pocket of the jacket, the very same one that Yixing gave you on this special day, 4 years ago. Holding the necklace feels like keeping the beautiful hope that you can finally love Yixing the way you did before. The pendant is very small, but encraved with tiny sparkling diamonds, as strong as your love for Yixing.

        You stop at the park entrance, sitting down on a bench.

        "11:50." You whisper to youself as nervousness rushes inside you. 5 minutes feel like an hour when Yixing arrives.      

        You're early." A beautiful laughter rings in your ears.

        You look up, seeing the face that brings warmth to your heart on a winter day. "Wh-what do you mean?" Although you have been familiar with Yixing for years, his small smile still causes your heart to skip a beat.

        "It's only 11:55 right? We agreed to meet at 12." He grins.

        "How...did you know? I thought you couldn't se-." You stop without finishing the sentence.

        "When you lose one of your senses, the others grow stronger." Yixing's lips slightly curl upwards, "The clock tower," he points, "I can hear it."

         You chuckle, but your heart tugs with subtle pain when you hear Yixing acknowledge his blindness. It wasn't out of pity, but because you love him so much that you can't bear the idea of him suffering.

        "Tell Yixing how much you have missed him.How much you wish to be by his side."

        "Sunmin? Sunmin? Can you hear me?" Lay's gentle voice snaps you out of your thoughts.

        "Yeah, sorry...I was thinking." You smile.

        "It's okay." You notice his dimple on the side of his cheek. "Let's go inside the park, I hear the winter scenery is really beautiful." Yixing looks at you before heading towards the park. You unconsciously follow and reach out with your hand, quickly pulling back just before you touch Yixing's arm.

        "Tell him, tell him now."

        You walk through the maple trees with snow tainted branches, each little snowflake dances down from the sky and through the branches then onto the ground. You carefully watch as one land on Yixing's hair, and tries to get it off for him.

        Yixing looks at you, his expression a bit confused.

        "Um, there was a snowflake...in your hair." You explain yourself, but realize how mindlessly you've just been.

        "Oh, I see." Yixing shows his small smile, "Thank you." He looks up, "I can imagine the view to be really pretty right now, right?"

        "Yixing, I have something to tell you."

        You watch as his soft hair moves along with his head, bringing his attention to you.

        "This may come out as kind of sudden...bu-"

        "I know what you're about to say." Yixing says out flatly.

        "Hm? You...do?" Your heartbeat stops for a while as excitement climbs through your anxious worries. "Yixing already knows?"

        "You like Kris, right?" Yixing looks at you, showing no signs of kindness or anger.

        Without an expression, he takes a step towards you.

          "Wha...what are you talking about, Yixing? I think you got the wrong idea! The one I like isn-"

          "To be honest, you aren't the first one. There were plenty of staff members that was in the same situation as you, asking for my help." Yixing's face shows a hint of annoyance and unfriendliness.

           "N-no, Yixing, let me explain pleas-" You feel your eyes b with moisture, and forcing the lump in your throat down.

           "I can't really stand girls with fake masks like that. It reminds me of my terrible ex-girlfriend that I ha-"

           "Slap!"

           Staring at Yixing, your body didn't move. Tears streaming down your cheeks, silently like the snowflakes falling down. So this is how Yixing saw you as. Fake. He did not only see Ha Sunmin like that, but you as well. Your heart feels cold now, like the ice cutting through your body. Yixing's figure no longer emitted warmth, but despise towards you.

             "I'm sorry." You whisper, "It seems like I've made the wrong decision asking you to come out today. I'll hand in my resignation letter as soon as possible."

              You walk past Yixing, cheeks stinging with coldness from the tears and wind. Your last glance of Yixing was him standing there without any words and movement.