When Death Plays With You

When Death Plays With You

Tao had always feared death to the point that he hates it.

Ever since his parents died from a car accident, he has always thought of life as unfair because only months after their death, his older sister had died from a disease, leaving Tao alone in the world.

If it wasn't for Kris, Tao would not know where he would be so when Kris told him that he had leukemia, he didn't know how to react.

"What did you just say?" Tao froze the moment Kris announced it. His mind wouldn't register what his boyfriend had just said.

"Tao... I'm sick. I have leukemia." Kris hugged Tao so tight that Tao couldn't breathe.

"But Kris, you told me you would never leave me. How can you have leukemia?" Tao released himself from Kris's embrace, his eyes full of hurt.

"I know, babe. But... it just happened." Kris tried holding on to Tao once more but Tao moved back, afraid to be hugged again.

"Tao..." He said.

"No!!! This can't be true! You can't be sick. Please tell me you're joking?" Tao panicked. He couldn't take the news of his boyfriend's illness, he didn't want to believe it.

"Tao, look at me." Kris held Tao firmly and lifted his face, forcing Tao to look at him.

"I'm sorry, Tao. Please, don't act like this." His eyes were so sad that Tao just wanted to kiss him but his frustration wouldn't allow it.

"You told me you would never leave me! You said you wouldn't make me live alone!!! You're a liar! You're nothing but a big fat liar! I hate you!!!" Tao stormed off the room, running to wherever his feet took him.

Kris was left alone in the room, frozen from his boyfriend's sudden action. He couldn't be mad at his boyfriend for suddenly leaving him because he knows how much pain he must be feeling right now. So Kris patiently waited for Tao to come back. He waited and waited at his house for months until his body could not take it anymore. He was sent to the hospital and the doctors had said his fate. He would only have a month left to live. He waited too long for Tao that the cancer cells had already spread and could not be treated by chemotherapy anymore.

 

In the few months that Tao had not seen Kris, Tao had been constantly practicing his wushu, always staying inside his house, not daring to go out because his feet might take him back to Kris's house. He hated Kris for giving him pain but he pitied Kris because he was fighting his illness alone, without the warmth and support of his loving boyfriend.

So many times did Tao attempt to go back in Kris's arms but his heart would not let him go because he does not want to lose another important person in his life. He decided to forget Kris so that he would not have to experience that pain of losing someone again. But Tao could not forget about him and when he could no longer take the loneliness and pain, he hurriedly went to Kris's house only to find it empty. He tried calling his phone but there was no answer.

He did not give up though and tried again for a few times until someone finally picked up.

"Kris!" Tao shouted through the phone.

"I'm sorry, but this is not Kris." A girl answered from the other line. Tao felt hurt, he thought Kris had replaced him. He was about to hang up when the girl spoke. "Could you... could you be Tao?"

"Y-yes. I... I am Tao. W-who are you?" He stuttered, he was afraid the girl would say she's the new girlfriend of Kris and that he shouldn't bother them anymore but what she said was not what he expected. "I am Kris's nurse. Kris always talks about you and he wants to see you so much. I know I should not be interfering with a patient's personal life but Kris needs you. He only has a few days left to live so please... come here."

 

Tao did not waste any moment. He quickly went to the hospital the moment the nurse told him which hospital Kris was staying at. He regretted leaving Kris a few months ago because now, Kris was dying. Tao wanted to beat himself up for being a coward and leaving Kris instead of holding on to him and making more memories for him to remember in a lifetime. But it was too late for regrets. Tao would just have to live with it and make Kris the happiest man in the world before he leaves.

Tao reached the hospital in half an hour and he was standing in front of Kris's room. His hands were shaking as he held the door knob. Before he could open the door, he felt strong arms wrapped around him from the back.

"I missed you."

Tao would know this voice anywhere. Put him up in a public market full of shouting people and he would still be able to hear and recognize this voice. He turned around to look at Kris. He was shocked to see how thin and pale Kris had gotten the last time they saw each other. He could not stop himself from bursting into tears the moment he saw how weak Kris had looked.

"Shh... Don't cry, baby. I'm here. I'm here." Kris hugged Tao as tight as he could, reassuring Tao of his presence.

"I am so sorry... I never should have left... I never should have been a coward..." Tao cried harder.

"Shh... Baby, I don't want to see you cry. I am not mad at you so stop crying. I'm just glad you're here now." He patted Tao's back and kissed his tears away. He could not help but feel a pang in his heart as he saw his boyfriend crying. He missed him so much and seeing him cry the first time they meet again was not what he had in mind for a reunion.

 

When Tao calmed down, Kris led him to his room.

Tao eyed the basket of fruits that was on the table and Kris laughed.

"You want to eat?" Tao cheerfully nodded and got an apple from the basket.

He ate it happily while Kris watched him. "Don't you want to eat, too?"

"No, I'm already full from watching you eat." Kris smiled. Tao could not help but be amazed with his boyfriend's looks. He was still so handsome despite his illness.

"You know it's rude to stare, right?" Kris laughed.

"I'm just admiring my boyfriend. How could you be so handsome?" Tao slowly walked over to Kris.

"Maybe because I'm an angel and angels are handsome beings." Kris pulled Tao to his lap and lightly kissed him.

"No, you're a dragon, not an angel." Tao said before kissing back. He missed those pair of lips that comforted him every time he feels cold or alone.

 

There was a knock on the door and a nurse came inside. The two quickly broke from each other's hug and stood up.

"Oh, Mr. Wu. You seem to have a visitor." The nurse said, smiling at Tao. Tao recognized that voice and smiled back. "You must be the lucky boyfriend, then."

"Yes. Nice to meet you." Tao approached the nurse to hug her before whispering, "Thank you."

The nurse giggled and Kris looked at them in confusion.

"I was just telling her how lucky I am to have a handsome boyfriend." Tao said.

"Well, I'll be going then. But before I forget, the doctors will be here to check up on you today. Behave, okay?" The nurse said before leaving the room. Kris sighed before sitting on his bed.

"Baby, what's wrong?" I approached him, reaching for his hand.

"It hurts when the doctors come and check on me. It's not just the normal check-up." He took off his top to show Tao the scars on his back. Tao gasped at what he saw. He saw this in a drama he watched. He saw how painful the girl felt when the doctor was getting her blood. He felt like crying again as he realized how his boyfriend has been enduring this without him.

"I'm sorry... I'm so so sorry..." Tao fell to his knees.

"You don't have to be sorry. Just smile, okay?" Kris pulled him up and hugged him again.

 

The rest of the day passed by with the two of them cuddling in Kris's bed. When it was time for his check-up, Kris asked Tao to leave but Tao insisted on staying. He had to be strong for his boyfriend so he could have someone to hold onto. But Tao almost fainted when saw how the doctors were getting blood from Kris's back, when he heard Kris's shouting and whimpering. He continuously Kris's face with one hand while the other was tightly held by Kris's hand for support.

When the check-up ended, Kris slept while Tao watched the sleeping figure before him.

"Kris, I love you." He whispered into Kris' ear before falling asleep on the chair beside the bed.

 

Kris woke up and felt a pain in his back but all his pain washed away as soon as he sees his boyfriend, peacefully sleeping on the chair with their hands intertwined. Tao was mumbling in his sleep. "Kris... Kris... I love you."

Kris laughed at his boyfriend's cuteness but his laugh soon turned to a frown when he heard him say, "Don't leave me... I love you... Please."

Kris could not stop himself from crying silently as he watched his boyfriend. How could he leave his boyfriend alone? Tao was like a lost puppy when they met four years ago when his family died and now that he was living a normal life, Kris was the one leaving soon. And he promised to his boyfriend that he would never leave him the way his family did.

Kris didn't realize that someone was already wiping his tears away. He looked at Tao who was now awake wiping his tears away. "Kris, don't cry."

Kris smiled sadly and kissed Tao's forehead. "I love you."

"I love you too." Tao whispered, smiling his best though Kris knew he was forcing it.

 

"I want to go home, Tao. To your home." Kris finally said after the long silence that filled the room.

"But... would they allow you to?" Tao thought hard about it. He wanted to take Kris home but he wasn't sure if it was the best idea.

"They will. I promise." Kris assured Tao, kissing him lightly on the forehead again.

"Okay, I'll go to the doctor and ask permission. Don't leave, okay? Stay here. Watch TV." Tao said before walking to the door and leaving.

Kris sighed and put out his notebook from under the pillow. He'd been filling this notebook with his thoughts ever since he came to the hospital almost a month ago. He knew it was almost time and that he would have to write his goodbye letter for Tao so he wasted no time and started writing.

"Tao. My baby. I know this is hard for you to handle. You've been too hurt in the past by the people leaving you behind and I know that I'm doing the same thing. But please forgive me for not keeping my promise." As soon as Kris started to write, he couldn't stop writing, as well as the tears flowing through his cheeks and into the paper. It didn't take him long to finish the letter before tucking the notebook back under the pillow. He went to the bathroom to wash his face and looked in the mirror. He looked so sick right now that he could not even recognize himself. He sighed before going back to his bed in time for Tao to come back.

"Hey, babe. What did the doctors say?" Kris smiled.

"They said you could leave now. I'll go pack your things." Tao cheerfully said and hurriedly started packing his bag.

 

Tao has never felt so complete in his life until now. His boyfriend was here in his room right now, peacefully sleeping like nothing's wrong with him. He smiled at his boyfriend and reminisced the first time they met.

 

"Hey! Watch where you're going!" Tao shouted at the tall man who bumped into him. 

"I'm so sorry. I was in a hurry so I didn't see you." The man bowed and the moment he lifted his head, Tao felt his heart skip a beat. He knew then that this man was going to be special to him. And yes, he is indeed the only person who changed this boy named Tao from someone with a heart-breaking past and a cold personality into someone who could look forward into life again and melt the world with his smile.

 

Tao dozed off and without realizing, Kris woke up and felt a pain in his body. A pain that was different from others. He knew it was his time and hurriedly went to his bag to get his notebook. He lied down again on the bed to look at his lover, his soul mate, his Tao. He silently cried as he caress Tao's cheeks and whispered, "I love you... and I'm sorry."

 

Tao woke up from the shaking of his bed and his eyes widen as he heard Kris whispering "I love you... and I'm sorry."

"K-Kris? Kris?!" Tao panicked and suddenly sat up. With tears falling down his eyes, Kris smiled and handed the notebook to Tao. "Take care, okay?"

Tao accepted the notebook and kissed Kris' shaking lips... for the last time.

Kris' breathing became heavy until at some point, he wasn't moving at all. Tao took a look at his boyfriend who was now lying lifeless in front of him. He cried his heart out as he realizes that he is once again alone in this world, without another person to care for him. His life was over.

He opened the notebook Kris gave him as a last present. The first page had a picture of Kris and Tao with a plushie hat on, smiling in front of the camera. He smiled at the memory of their first time going out of the country. The next pages were filled with Kris's struggle with leukemia. He told his days in the hospital, saying it was boring without Tao and it hurts without Tao. Tao felt guilt overcome him as he remembered the day he left Kris when he found out about his illness. On the last page, Tao could not contain himself and hugged Kris so tight. He wanted to feel the warmth of his body again for the last time. He tried to read the last page again, it was a letter to him dated today.

 

Tao. My baby.

I know this is hard for you to handle. You've been too hurt in the past by the people leaving you behind and I know that I'm doing the same thing. But please forgive me for not keeping my promise. Do not hold a grudge against me when I'm gone because I'll still be keeping part of my promise to you. I promised to you that I won't ever leave you and protect you no matter what. Even when I'm gone, I'll still be protecting you... from heaven. I'll be up there watching you and guiding you.

Today, I felt something weird. I felt like my time is coming. That's why I asked you to take me home with you... because I want to die with you next to me. So forgive me if you are shocked that by the time you wake up, I'm forever sleeping.

Please don't live your life the way you did before. There are a lot people, good people, that you will meet in the future that can help you the way I did. I don't care if you forget about me. Just please live, okay?

I love you so much that my heart cannot contain it anymore. And I'm sorry.

 

Kris...

 

Tao didn't realize when but he fell asleep after reading Kris's letter. The moment he wakes up, he looks to his side and sees Kris peacefully sleeping beside him. Kris has gone to heaven and he does not have to suffer anymore.

But that didn't mean Tao was happy. He knew what he wanted. He knew what he would do when Kris died. He decided on it long before he went to the hospital to go back in Kris' arms. So he did what he planned. He kissed Kris one last time before going to the roof top of his house. When he opened the door to the rooftop, he felt the cold breeze of the wind which sent chills along his spine but he ignored it and continued walking to the edge of the rooftop.

"Kris. I'm sorry for being stubborn. I just can't let you go alone. I love you too much."

Tao took one last look at the sky. It was so clear and beautiful. A good day to die for the one you love.

In one swift move, Tao crossed over the bars and jumped.

He heard a whisper in his ear saying, "See you in heaven."

He smiled at that and moments later, he felt his consciousness drift away.

 

"Just wait for a while, Kris. I'll be there soon..."

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: It's finished~!!! I finally finished it! ^.^
Well, I hoped you liked it. And I'm so sorry for killing Tao like that. I know that people who commit suicide don't go to heaven but in this case, I just didn't want Taoris to separate. So there... And before I forget, I am against suicide. It just so happened that it fit the situation in this fic.
Thanks to all those who took the time to read this. Hope you could also take some time to comment. ^.^