The A-ward

Rayard

 

 

The first chapter is very short, but it's just for the sake of getting the story started. Please share your thoughts in the comments - all ideas for improvement are appreciated!

 


 

Once we got out of the car and were on our way to the A-building, we could feel the dark atmosphere. You didn’t have to be a psychic to feel the impact it had on your mind. It was almost like it was thrown at you as soon as you approached the area.

The doomed spirits who haunted the remains of the dilapidated buildings slowly trespassed the armor of flesh we were born with; crawling under our skin, causing us to shiver. We quietly went into the building and began the search of the past.

The old and moldy smell hit us the moment we opened the squeaking door. The already gloomy atmosphere got even gloomier when we saw what twenty years could do to a building that used to be so mighty. Thanks to Sunny who possessed more of an adventurous enthusiasm, rather than the fear of it like the rest of us, we managed to slowly scramble further into the first building.

A couple of rooms that caught our interest were on the top floor. The walls in the first room had been drawn on, and carried a strange sadness that followed us throughout the rest of the night. The smallest room, the second one, had nothing but a wheelchair that faced the barred windows; as if someone still sat there and looked out at the sky. Even I, who was skeptical of all the talk about wandering spirits and such, heard a voice in the back of my head telling me we needed to get out of there. And honestly, there were a lot of places I'd rather be at nightfall, than right there. We weren’t welcome.

After finishing the top floor, the others wanted to go down to the basement - and although I said nothing, I felt like it wasn't much of a great idea. I didn’t like basements and certainly not the ones in pitch black darkness. Therefore I could safely say that dark basements of the buildings that have a reputation of haunting, dark spirits score well on the scary-scale. The sight that met us in the basement could have scared the crap out of anybody.

Jessica’s ear-piercing dolphin-scream cut the silence into tiny, tiny pieces. “I swear I saw a dead body in that corner,” she sobbed after regaining the ability to speak, and bent down to pick up the flashlight she had dropped in fear.

Sunny pointed her flashlight towards the corner Jessica saw the supposedly dead body. “Over there?” the petite girl questioned, almost begging for confirmation. I had ever understood Sunny’s strange love for fear.

It's very easy to be fooled like that in the dark with a pulse of 220, and luckily Jessica was wrong and there was no dead body. Instead, we noticed what looked like old, dried red paint on the floor and walls. I wanted to believe that it was dried paint, but I knew we all silently agreed that it was not. The sight was revolting, and we ran out of the room as fast as we could.

We abandoned the A-building and began the search for D. We knew it should be close, but not quite where. Between the A and C-buildings there was a steep path up that lead into the forest. We followed it and arrived to a building that was an exact copy of the first building. It stood lonely - for some reason very isolated from everything else.