Phase One: Friendship

Metamorphosis

It was the first day. Neither of the boys knew that today would be the day that changed their lives forever, but that’s exactly what it was. The first day of…KINDERGARTEN!

“MOMMY! WHERE ARE MY SHOES??????? I CAN’T GO TO SCHOOL BAREFOOT! MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM”

“CALM DOWN YUNHO! THEY’RE IN THE CLOSET!”

“Oh. Sorry mommy! I was going to look there next!”

The little boy’s mother chuckled lightly at the antics of her adorable five year old. Today was his first day of school, and she knew he would be nervous, but she’d never expected it to be this entertaining.

---------------------------------------------------~^^~------------------------------------------------------------

“MOMMMMMYYYY!!!!!!! I CAN’T GO TO SCHOOL NOT WEARING A SHIRT! I WANT TO SHOW OFF, BUT I DON’T THINK SCHOOL IS THE RIGHT PLACE!”

“AISH JAEJOONG! I ALREADY TOLD YOU THAT YOUR SHIRT IS IN THE LAUNDRY BASKET IN YOUR ROOM!”

“Oopsie….I was just testing you, mommy!”

Mrs. Kim smiled at her little boy. Since when did a five year old have the idea of saying he wanted to “show off”? Exactly what did he plan to show off? She giggled at the silliness of her baby boy, finding the morning before the first day of school to be quite interesting indeed.

---------------------------------------------------~^^~------------------------------------------------------------

Both Jaejoong and Yunho climbed out of their cars at the same moment, so it was inevitable for their gazes to meet. As soon as they set eyes on each other, both boys knew that the other was special. At that young age, they couldn’t understand exactly what that sensation was, but it was definitely a beginning.

As soon as class began, the two boys found themselves sitting next to each other. They shyly exchanged glances until the teacher began to speak.

“Ok, class! Welcome to the first day of Kindergarten! I know that this is also the first day of school for many of you, so I want you all to know that as your teacher, I promise to help you in any way I can and answer all your questions. Now, we will begin by introducing ourselves! Who wants to go first?”

At the same instant, both Yunho and Jaejoong raised their hands, and the teacher let out a soft giggle.

“Well, since you both seem eager to begin, I’ll let you decide.”

At the sound of that, both boys blushed. Yunho, being the gentleman he is, told the other he could go first.

“Hi! My name is Kim Jaejoong and I’m five and I like video games and I like to play on the swings, but only when someone pushes me because my legs are too short, but they can’t push me to hard or I might fall…”

“Whoa there, Jaejoong! We don’t want you to run out of breath! Thank you for sharing with us!” The teacher smiled at her young and eager student, and he sent her a beaming smile of his own.

“Hi! My name is Jung Yunho and I like all the things that Joongie said he likes! Oh, and I’m his new best friend!” The young boy looked over at Jaejoong confidently, but Jaejoong’s face was hidden in his small hands, as he was desperately trying to hide his blush.

Well, this was how the friendship of these two young boys began, with Yunho’s confident statement, and Jaejoong’s embarrassed acceptance.

They say the first step to love is friendship.