하나 - Hana

A Challenging Affection

Hey there! Just wanted to say thanks for viewing my story! c:  This chapter wont be so fun right now, but just wait for Chapter 2! Many stories start off boring, and then very worth -read soon! 

 

Me and Soo Young patted our bellies and sighed.

"Unni, are you sure we're not spending too much money?" 

"It'll be fine. We haven't had a full meal in a while. I raised the money myself. I just wish umma could've eaten with us"  I replied, reassuring my little sister everything was alright.

Nowadays, here in America, getting a job was hard. The economy was low. My mother had just been laid off her previous job 2 months ago. We have to live in a low income apartment and it was hard to support both of us. My so called "father" had abandoned us, while stealing my mom's hard earned money that she was going to spend for a risky surgery Soo Young had to get to stay alive. Thankfully, even if the money was taken, donors had given us money for it.  Right now, my mother is still searching for a job. I help my mother by selling some of my belongings that aren't a huge value to me. We strive , but we have a lot of ambition! 

 

Me and Soo Young had exited the store and played in the local park. I sat on the swings and laid my head on the chain while holding onto it. What can I do to  help my family lose less money? Or even not lose money at all? I wanted my sister and mother to be satisfied with their lives. Umma is already growing white hair, and I hate seeing her stressed out so much. Aiish...

 

"Unni! Unni! Can we go to that store over there? It actually has Pororo!" 

I snapped out of my daze. "Ah, okay sure" 

It's amazing seeing my 7 year old sister still so energetic when we're all going through a tough time. 

The moment we walked in the store, a flyer hung next to the cash register. 

"Student Foreign Exchange Program. Free Scholarships Offered! Get to know the world around you, and learn about the cultures so the world can connect!" 

Hm, that's odd. I haven't heard about this before. Tilting my head to one side, i continued reading the small font.

"Apply online now! Over 2000 applicants a year for each language. Languages Include: Russian, Japanese, Chinese (Mandarin), Korean, Arabic, and Hindi!" 

Omomo! Was there just KOREAN? Or was my imagination just crazy after taking the Nyan Cat challenge a few hours ago?

"You get put into a host family for a year or semester (optional) that we think suites you if accepted. Treat them as real family and you also get to attend an actual Korean Highschool! You're supplied with a phone and some cash for transportation and food. Wish you guys luck! Go online for more information!"

"Annyeong!" 

I jumped in shock. 

"Did I scare you? I'm sorry!" An employee worker apologized while bowing. He had a blue apron on, had spiky black hair, was around 5"7 , wore glasses, and also looked Korean. 

"Nono, it's fine." I said while bowing myself and giggling a bit. 

"Oh, I've noticed that you were pretty interested in this program. No one really knows about it right now, and since it's very competitive I put it up temporary. ...Since no one really comes into this shop nowadays. You're a lucky lady." 

"Well, it seems like it'll lead to a great opportunity! Are you also applying?" I asked giving him a huge smile.

"An eye smile! Lot's of Aegyo!  Haha. Yes I am! For the semester to Japan! I hope I win!"

"Hwaiting! .... " I leaned forward to his name tag. "...Sung Min?" 

He smiled widely. "Thank You. You too!" 

After buying Soo Young a Pororo notebook, we left the store happily and went on home. 

When we arrived, I ran to my room and twirled all over.

Heck, I even sang "TOP Girl" By GNA while showering because I was that happy. 

I had to work abnormally hard so that my mother could save more money with me gone. 

She could rent a smaller apartment, buy less food, not worry about supplies and such for school. 

I felt guilty just leaving my mother alone with Soo Young, but I felt like it was for the best. When I arrive in Korea, I'll also think about what dreams I was searching for...I had one in mind. But I absolutely doubt i could achieve this one. Maybe I can try...no...nevermind..i dont know.." 

But when I find out my dream I really want to accomplish, I'll gain a large amount of cash so that my family could stop worrying.

Now to the hard part, applying. I have to go against over 2000 other applicants for this opportunity. No worries, I have confidence. 

Ailee, ...Hwaiting!