Until the Last Breath

Until the Last Breath

It was another plain day where i stood there waiting for the costumers to come. It was a very warm day or i can say, it was a bit too warm.

The coffee shop wasn't that big. I sighed as no one came inside the shop. I mopped the floor and accidentally, the mop hit a wheel. I lifted my head and i saw a very beautiful girl was sitting on a wheelchair. I bowed as i said sorry numerous times. She smiled and forgave me. She bought two cappuccio and paid for it. Her smile shifted my plain day.

That was the day where me and her got closer..


Again, i stood in the same place, not even moving, just like a statue.

"Dong Hae-ssi, mop the floor!" said the manager. I nodded and grabbed the mop. I mopped the floor and again, the mop hit a wheel. I lifted my head and she smiled happily to me.

"Oppa!" she exclaimed.

"Soo Ri! Do you want to buy another cappucinno?" i asked and she nodded. So i gave her what she wanted. Two cappucinno for sure. Well, i didn't know why she bought two and not one. But at the time, i didn't really care. As long as i can saw her smile, i didn't care about anything at all.

Maybe everybody is wondering why she was using a wheelchair. She had a very weak body. She said that she was easily got sick because of her low immune. I was so worried about her. But i know that she's a very strong girl. She'll be recovered as soon as possible.. I guess..

She told me that she loved my coffee. Especially my cappucinno. Well actually, i didn't make the coffee. Just because i wanted her to praise me, i lied. Yes, i was telling a lie. But my feelings for her is not a lie. After my work time us done, we used to walked together and spent our time in a park near the coffee shop. She told me that she was a volleyball player back then. She had once nominated as the team's ace. She was so happy that time, until then her team lost just when she was choosen as the captain. She was really disappointed. And that was the day when her immune dramatically dropped and she had to stay in the hospital. She told me that she hated it so much. She didn't like the hospital's smeel, it made her wanted to throw up. She said that she cried everytime the nurse told her to get an injection. She missed her high-school life so much. She wanted to play volleyball again. While she was telling her story, she cried, she cried so hard. I wiped her tears and i said that she looked ugly when she cried like that. And she smiled right after i told her that she is beautiful when she smiles.

There comes time when i went to the hospital and i saw her got an injection. But i wasn't there beside her. I watched outside as a man standing beside her bed. He her hair slowly.

I had asked her once about a boyfriend and i was shocked when she said that she had a boyfriend. And without asking who was her boyfriend, i knew that the guy who stood beside her, was him. She smiled althought her eyes were teary, and i knew that it was hurt. But knowing that the man she love was standing beside her, it lessen the pain. After the nurse left the room, i went inside and she smiled. As well as her boyfriend, although he didn't know about me at all.

"Oppa, how long have you been outside?" she asked.

"About 5 minutes before you got an injection" i replied.

"Then why didn't you get in?"

I couldn't stand seeing her with her boyfriend. That's why i didn't went inside the room. I didn't replied her question and her boyfriend cut our conversation, made her forgot about why i didn't went inside her room. And then i knew that her boyfriend's name is Kyu Hyun. He was her volleyball teammate. It was hard seeing her smiled happily to her boyfriend while i was looking at them. I was mad that time because she didn't talked to me just because she got her boyfriend there with her. I know i was selfish. I sighed as i went outside her room and walked passed thru the doctor's room. I peek isnide and i was Soo Ri's parents was talking to the doctor. I could her the conversation clearly. The doctor said that Soo Ri should stay in the hospital until she got better. The doctor couldn't tell how long it was but maybe about 3-4 more years. As i remembered, Soo Ri hates the hospital so much. I guess she would be very upset if she knew that she had to stay there for the next 4 years.

I ran hurrily when the parents went out from the doctor's room. I saw her mother cried and her father calmed her down. I couldn't say any word and just left them alone. I went back to her room after i drank a cup of coffee in the hospital's food court which i assumed that it tasted horrible. I saw her parents inside her room.

"I'll get out from the hospital about 6 more month, right mom?" i saw her face full of expectation. Her mom nodded forcely and she smiled. Her mom told a lie. How i wish i could told her that she had to stay here about 4 more years. But whem i saw her beautiful smile, i couldn't help but do nothing. I stared at her when her parents were talking to her boyfriend. She glanced at me and gave her warmest smile to me. I walked towards her.

"Are you going to be alright?" i asked. She raised her shoulder, gave a sign that she didn't know what would happen to her. I sighed.

"I'll fight until my last breath" she said and it made me wanted to hug her. I know that she's a strong girl. She covered her tears with her laugh. She covered her sadness with her smile. And i guess it works. I wanted to her hair but his boyfriend was there. So i threw away my intention and fisted my arms real tight. After 5 minutes i stood there without doing anything, i said to her that i wanted to go back to my home. She stopped me and said that she had no one to accompanied her at night. She wanted me to accompanied her. She couldn't feel asleep if there was nobody around. I said yes and she hugged me really tight. I saw her boyfriend was staring at us awkwardly and he forced her to let go of me.


I was talking with her aound 9 PM. She told me that she was so happy that i could accompanied her at night because Kyu Hyun worked at a convenience store until midnight. She felt so lonely. Finally, i could her hair slowly and i gasped when i saw her staring at me confusely. I stopped and apologised to her. But she said that it was ok.

"I've consider you as my oppa" she said. No. I didn't want to be her oppa. I wanted her to be mine. But i couldn't said it to her. I nodded and gave her a little smile. I told her to sleep. She nodded and closed her eyes. I smiled as i heard her snore. I her hair again and kissed her forehead. My face blushed but thank God she didn't woke up. I turn off the light and i went outside her room. I saw her boyfriend walked towards me. I bowed and he bowed back.

"She was sleeping" i said.

"I know. I'm just worried about her. Thanks for accompany her today. Now you can go back. I'll take a good care of her" he smiled to me. I nodded and i walked away. I turned my head around and i saw him went inside her room. I was envious of him. But i couldn't do anything.


I was working that day and i saw Kyu Hyun was pushing a wheelchair and yes, it's Soo Ri. They wet inside the shop and she ordered two cappucinno, as usual. I glanced at Kyu Hyun and he gave me a one-side smile and i gave back a forced smile. I gave the cappucinnos and they went out after she paid for the cappucinnos. The sat outside at the smoking area. I couldn't take my eyes off of her. She smiled and sometimes she pinched Kyu Hyun's cheek. After that, Kyu Hyun stood up and pushed Soo Ri's wheelchair. She glanced at me and waved at me. I waved back. And then they disappeared. How i wish i could scream out loud to her, saying that i love her to much and she meant everything to me. But no, i just can't.

Day by day had passed. Soo Ri's condition began to dropped. I was so worried about her. I came to the hospital everyday after my work is done. I knew that Kyu Hyun felt irritated with my presence. But what should i say? I'm in love with that girl and i couldn't resist my feelings towards her. I could saw that she was in a major pain. It was hard for her to breathe. Kyu Hyun her hair slowly and she gave him a weak smile.

It broke my heart.

Seeing a very weak girl in front of me, laid down weakly on the bed, so many interval connected to her body, and an infusion into her vein. And all i saw was her eyes, full of love, seeing the man she loves in front of her. I couldn't take it anymore. Tears started pouring down from my eyes. I sobbed and i could feel her hand my shoulder.

'God, if i can do anything for this girl, i will'

That was what i said while i was crying. Because i love her. She had brightened up my plain day that i used to see.

"Why are you crying?" she asked weakly. I sobbed and shook my head. I knew that she didn't believe me. But i couldn't say anything. It was too hard for me. Oh God, i love her.

The nurse came inside and told her that she wanted to gave her an injection. I wiped my tears and i stared at her worrily.

"I'm fine oppa. Look, i'm smiling. It doesn't hurt" she smiled. No, she wasn't fine. Yes she was smiling, but i knew that it was hurt. I slanted my eyes when the srynge ed to her vein. She gasped and closed her eyes tightly. I knew, it was hurt wasn't it? Kyu Hyun embraced her. He made sure that the pain will go away. She nodded. I stood up and bowed, then i left her room. I shut the door and sighed. My eyes were still teary. I went to the hospital's public toilet and saw my own reflection on the mirror. My eyes were red. I flicked my eyes and i washed my face. When i lifted my head, i saw Kyu Hyun behind me. I bowed again and he smiled.

"Why were you crying?" he asked as he washed his hand. I shook my head. I wiped my face using a tissue. I said that my eyes were teary, that's all. But he didn't accept my answer and asked the same question to me. Still, i didn't gave a meaningful answer.

"I'm sure you cried because of her weak body, am i right?" he said. I tuned around but then he stopped me. "Don't worry, i'll take a good care of my girlfriend" he continued. I walked outside the toilet and went to Soo Ri's room. She was trying to catch a breath. I walked towards her and she gave me a smile. She tried to move her hand but i knew that it was hard. I stopped her movement.

"No, don't. It hurts for you" i said. She said that she wanted to my shoulder again. I said that she didn't have to me anymore. I said that she must pay attention to her own body. If it hurts, i told her not to forced herself. She nodded and closed her eyes, trying to sleep.


Another plain day. I got a news that Soo Ri's condition was back to normal. I ran as fast as i could to the hospital. I was so happy when i was her sitting on her bed and her mother fed her. She glanced at me.

"Oppa!" she shouted. I smiled and walked towards her. I bowed to her mother and her mother left us alone. I asked how was her condition and she said that it was better than before. Sure, the intervals had been removed from her body, but still her face looked so pale. Her voice was so weak and her lips was so white. I didn't believe that her voice was so cracking. Her voice used to be so beautiful as he smile. I just gave her a little smile after she said that she was ok. I asked where was her boyfriend and she said that he was on a trip to Jeju Island with his family. I thought that he was so selfish. His girlfriend laid down weakly on the bed and all he did wasgoing on a trip? She smiled and said that it's not a big deal. She was hoping that Kyu Hyun will be alright on jeju Island. I was mad. How come she never mad at her own boyfriend. I said that Kyu Hyun is so selfish, he didn't care abouut her. She then yelled at me.

"Ya! You don't know anything about him! Don't talk back about Kyu Hyun! I love him and he cares about me so much!"

I was shocked. I was always there for her and yet she still hadn't notice my feelings to her. I apologised for what i had said about Kyu Hyun. She nodded. I knew that she didn't forgive me. I stood up and bowed.

"I'm sorry. I think i have to use the bathroom" she permitted me and i got inside the bathroom. No i wasn't going to use the bathroom. I was avoiding an eye contact with her. I was ashamed with my words. Just because i was envious, i talked bad about her boyfriend whom i didn't even know anything about him. I walked back to her room and i saw her her chest slowly. She inhaled and exhaled heavily. I walked towards her and her back slowly.

"Are you ok?" i asked but she didn't replied my question. I knew it. She was mad at me. I sighed and turned around. But then she stopped me. I turned around and saw her pale face. Her eyes got widened and she hardly could speak. I quickly take an inhaler and gave it to her. She inhaled and her breathe was back to normal. She glanced at me. A tear fell down from her eyes. I wiped it and she began to cry loudly.

"I thought.. I thought it will be my last breath" she sobbed and hugged me. I began to think. What if it was her last breath? What if i didn't gave her the inhaler quickly? I began to cry and hug her back.
'No God. Don't take her away from me.' i said deep down inside my heart.
Yes, never ever take her away from me.


She wanted to go to the hospital's park so i pushed her wheelchair to the park. She told me that Kyu Hyun told his feelings to her in a park near their school. I smiled seeing her happy face. It's a sunny and warm day. Soo Ri wore a blue sweater and she said that Kyu Hyun bought it for her when she won a volleyball championship. And then she showed me a bracelet, it was from her parents when she celebrated her 18th birthday last year. I asked her when is her birthday, and it's excatly one more week. I planned to give her a present. We stopped in front of a bench and i sat on it while she was beside me in her wheelchair. We talked about our past and i told her about my parents that had passed away when i was 15.

"Oh my, I-uhm.. Sorry" she said. I smiled and shook my head.

"It's alright. I'm used to it now" i replied. I glanced at her and i saw her face full or worries. I piched her cheek slowly and she pout. I laughed when i saw her cute pout. I told her not to worrying about me because i'm fine. I asked her what she wanted for her birthday. She said that she wanted a meaningful present. I didn't know what she liked or what she wanted so i thought that i would found out what she wanted later. We went back to her room after we had a nice quality time together. Just about when we arrived, a nurse came to her room. The nurse said that she had to had a medical check up. I was willing to push her wheelchair but the nurse said that she had to be alone for the check up. I let her go. I waited for 40 minutes and she went back.

Her face was pale white and she was shaking. I came to her worrily and asked what happened. But i got no answer. She laid down on the bed and closed her eyes, still shaking. I knew that she wanted to take a nap so i went out of her room and i ran to the doctor's room. I push the door harshly and i saw Soo Ri's parents were already inside the room. They told me to sit down. The doctor explained what kind of sick that she ails.

Her heart didn't worked properly so that's why it was hard for her to breathe. She was ok, but the doctor cannot tell us when will the pain gone away. I thought that it was ok, until the doctor showed us her x-ray. I was like, oh my God. I could saw that there was a little hole in her heart. The doctor had covered it but still, her heart was broken. All i knew, she had a low immune. But actually, that was the real pain that she felt.

I came to her room and she was sleeping quietly. I walked towards her and i her hair slowly.

"Soo Ri" i started. "You know how hard it was when my parents died?" i asked and i got no answer from her. I smiled. "It was though for me to came home without my mother and father greeted me. And it was though to see their gravestone" i stopped and i took a deep breath before i continued. "Well-uhm.. It wasn't easy for me ro see the person i loved left me alone like that. So, Soo Ri.." i glaced at her sleeping face and i closed my eyes. "Don't go. Please don't leave me" i tried so hard not to cry. I opened my eyes and i saw Soo Ri was looking at me with her teary eyes.

"S-Soo Ri" i touched her cheek slowly and she smiled.

"Oppa, i won't leave you alone" she said. I found myself crying in front of her. Again, i couldn't hold back my tears. It was hard for me to see her weak body. She fought for her own disease although she knew that it was really hard for her. She gave me her pinkie and she said that she would never leave me alone. I nodded and we made a pinkie swear.


It was D-3 before her birthday and her condition dropped again. She had a high fever and her breathe was hard. I began to worried about her again. Kyu Hyun hadn't come back from Jeju. Although Soo Ri's parents had called him, he didn't answered the phone. I couldn't talked to her until midnight, her condition was better. I hadn't came home so i knew that her condition was back to normal. I was sleeping beside her when suddenly i woke up and i saw her staring blankly outside the window. I held her hand and she looked at me. She smiled and i giggled. I was so sleepy so i laid my body on her bed and i fell asleep.

I woke up and she was looking at me deeply. I flicked my eyes and yawned. She laughed. It was a day before her birthday. I was planning to buy her present today. I asked her how does she feels and she said that she had been really fine and nothing was hurt. But suddenly, she gasped and she couldn't breathe. I grab the inhaler quickly and gave it to her. But still, it had no effect at all. I quickly called the nurse and 2 nurses came in a rush. They brought Soo Ri to the emergency room and i was still inside Soo Ri's room. I was frozen and i couldn't say anything.

After 10 minutes i was standing like a statue, a nurse came by and told me to see her. I walked to the emergency room and i saw her with so many intervals, and an infusion connected to her vein. The nurse told me to wear a mask so i wore it. I walked inside the room but she didn't move. She was sleeping.

"Soo Ri.." i started. "I-uh.." before i could finish my sentence, Kyu Hyun came i a rush and yelled.

"Soo Ri! Soo Ri!" he shook her body and i pushed him away. All this time, he never shown up to help his own girlfriend. He never picked up the phone, he never ever cared about her.

"You told me that you'll protect her, huh? Aren't you ashamed of your own words?" i slanted my eyes and he palmed his face. Suddenly, the doctor called both of us to come to his room. Soo Ri's parents were already there. I saw her mother was crying. The doctor explained that the hole was getting bigger and bigger so she nedded a new heart. But at the time, there was no heart supply. Her mother cried loudly, as well as Kyu Hyun.

"Me"

Her parents, Kyu Hyun, and the doctor stared at me weirdly.

"Let's do the heart transplantation, use my heart" i said. Her parents didn't believe what i just said.

"It doesn't make sense, Dong Hae-ssi" said her father to me.

"And it has to be a dead body to give their heart" said the doctor.

"I've decided it. I'll give my heart for her." i clarified. I looked at the doctor. He was lost for words. "Let's do it today" i continued. They gasped. "I can't stand seeing her like that anymore. I want it right now!" i said. The doctor nodded anxiously. I glanced at Kyu Hyun whose jaw dropped down. Yes, i've decided it. If i couldn't confessed my feelings to her, i'll gave her my heart.


The doctor laid me down on the operation's bed. He the light above me. I slanted my eyes. Kyu Hyun and Soo Ri's parents are still inside the operation's room.

"Dong Hae-ssi.. You can't just give your life for my daughter like this.." said her mother and she sobbed. I shook my head and just smiled weakly. Kyu Hyun couldn't say anything. I called him and he walked towards me.

"Dong Hae, you-" he sobbed once and i smiled.

"Can you please give this to her on her birthday?" i gave him a letter. He nodded and sobbed again. I turned my head and i saw Soo Ri was laying down across me. "Can i say something to her before the operation begin?" i asked to the doctor and the doctor nodded.

"Ya Soo Ri" i called her. No answer. "I-uhh.. Mad at you, you know? Ha ha ha.." i laughed, a forced laugh. "You said that you will be alright and now your condition dropped again. I want to tell you that you've brightened up my plain day ever since you came to the coffee shop. To be honest, i wasn't the one who made the cappucinno for you. I lied. I lied because i wanted your praises. I know i was a fool. But, you know what? I love you. I love you wih all my heart.  I know you love Kyu Hyun, but.." I glanced at Kyu Hyun and sighed. I looked back at her. "I still love you. We made a pinkie swear that you will never leave me, right? I'm sorry i'll be the one who leave you. I'll love you deep inside my heart. So please, take care of my heart" i looked at her deeply and a tear fell down from my eyes. I quickly wiped it and sighed. "Good bye" i said as a crynge ed into my vein and i felt tired and sleepy. I exhaled my breath before i close my eyes.

Yes, my last breath..


 

"Soo Ri, Happy Birthday!

I know i know, i'm not there for you. Kkkkk ~ How are you right now? Are you ok?

You wanted a meaningful present, right? So there i gave you my heart.

I have a crush on you since the day i met you for the first time. Can you feel my heart beats so fast everytime i think about you?

 

Soo Ri, please take care of my heart. And be happy with Kyu Hyun, got it?

Happy Birthday Soo Ri ~

I LOVE YOU

-Dong Hae-"