Research [Choi Minhwan x Lee Minhyo]

Dreamers

 

Part One [Hwan]

I did a good job of guarding in front of the ice cream section so that we wouldn’t have to worry about anything melting in the car. It was all part of my plan.

“Jonghun hyung!” I called from the back seat of the car as we began our journey home.

“Can we make a quick stop to the library? I want to look a few things up.” I requested.

“Why not just use your laptop?” Jonghun asked me.

I gave him some bullcrap excuse about how I liked the authentic feel of sitting in a library chair and researching, and mentioned how being photographed with a book would be good publicity, so they should all check out books. He solemnly complied and made a sudden right turn. The real reason was I didn’t want traces of my researching for Minhyo’s records on my internet history. The company funded my computer, and if that came up on their records they would certainly be alerted. 

When we arrived, the library was cleared from younger children, save a few that were too young for school. We all crept off to our areas of interested, I slid into a hard wooden chair and adjusted my glasses on my tiny nose. I envied Jonghun’s strong nose that could keep a pair of sunglasses rooted, unlike mine that would let the sunglasses slide down and swallow my face.

I entered my library card number, which I knew by heart, and did a swift check around my perimeter to see if any of my bandmates were hovering. All was clear, so I pulled up the name of my old school, which provided classes for every level of school. I scanned the simple homepage, too much in a rush to appreciate its beautiful interface. I clicked on ‘about our graduating class.’ Jackpot. I found Minhyo’s photo quickly, and took in all her matured beauty. She was still as skinny as ever, but her face flaunted more adult features and a shy smile, rather than the rambunctious grin she trademarked in the years of our friendship. I read all about her slowly, letting the information stick. She won the title of ‘most shy,’ was a tennis star, did the most volunteer hours in her class, and was going to attend a very sought-after college in Seoul. Jackpot, I knew exactly where that college was located. If her goals remained the same, she would be studying medical sciences, and I knew exactly where the medical building within that college was. 

It was strange though, from her tellings, she used to be the life of every classroom, yet she was voted most shy. She hated exercising, yet she was a tennis star. She had such a tiny patience span, yet she had the most hours in her class. I suppose time molded her, hopefully she still remembered me.

“Min-hyo?” an awkward voice behind me sounded out her name. I hurriedly scrolled down the list of students and turned around. Jaejin.

“Just checking my old school.. and that girl caught my eye.” I explained. I heard the lies in my voice. I was digging my own grave. “You do realize you’ve been staring at he photo for quite a while there, hyung? I guess it’s none of my business.” Jaejin trailed off.

“It isn’t.” I said, much too quickly. Behind Jaejin, I saw the other three making their way toward me. 

“I can’t bare the smell! Minhwan, we’re leaving.” Hongki hauled me off the chair, and dragged me out of the library. The rest of the band trailed along, Jaejin with his hand over my mouth to keep me from protesting.

Research pt. Two [Rin]

“As you can see, this library is quite spacious.” my new roommate, Moon Minhee said. The taller girl was somebody I liked from the start. Although she was a little blunt and warned me of her sloppy bathroom habits, I was warming up to her. 

“It’s a great study spot. I’m new to this area as well, but I’ve visited here a few times.” she continued.

My high school’s colors were displayed on an unoccupied monitor across the room, catching my eye. 

“Hey, somebody’s on my school’s website!” I said, perplexed. 

We approached the computer and I noticed it was the ‘about our graduating class page,’ not too far from my picture. It was odd. I looked around, but nobody was even remotely near the computers. 

“Wasn’t your school really far from here?” Minhee asked.

“Yeah, this is weird. We should probably leave, I’m feeling kind of watched.” I slowly tried to hint Minhee at my superstitious ways. She laughed and nodded, and we exited the library. As we stepped out, a huge black Lexus almost ran us over.

“Hey, watch yourself !” Minhee hollered at the large truck that seemed to be full of boys.

“Tch, ignorants. So where to next?” I asked. 

“Uh, I actually have to meet my boyfriend at his dorm. I’m sleeping over and spending the day with him tomorrow.” Minhee blushed as the conversation switched to her personal life. 

“So, what’s his name? Does he go to our school?” I pried.

“Er.. no he doesn’t go to our school. He’s already employed.” 

Minhee seemed to be rushing to her pearl white BMW. She politely opened my passenger’s side door and then flopped onto her seat, starting her car. She tapped her thumbs on the steering wheel to the beat of the song the radio, which had just come to life. I suddenly became more interested in my roommate’s life. Did she have a relationship with an older man that I should be concerned about? What our roommate relationship going to be safe?

“Really? What’s his job?” I asked.

“He’s part of this boy group thing.” She said.

Woah. Woah. It was pretty hard to avoid the Korean music hype when you lived in Korea, so I wondered if this person was someone worth knowing about.

“Is he famous by any chance?” I kept myself nonchalant.

“I guess, kind of.” she murmured, suddenly absorbed in beating stoplights and switching lanes every few minutes.

“I solemnly swear not to say anything about this, stop being so secretive, Minhee!” I whined. I hope she thought us close enough for me to be ing about this. We have lived together for a week, after all.

“Okay, okay. Well, he’s in the group Shinee. He’s known as their maknae, but he’s still my oppa. Maybe you’ve heard of him? Lee Taemin?” she sounded less than excited to be explaining.

“Y-you’re Lee Taemin’s girlfriend?!” I shrieked and almost his the car’s roof. This was very, very exciting for me. Lee Taemin was my favorite SHINee member.

“Yeah, yeah. But I think I’m going to be breaking up with him soon. His company found out about our relationship and is starting to exploit me. It’s mandatory I go on certain dates with him, blah blah blah. And tomorrow I have to go to this interview where he’s going to formally introduce me to Korea and some of his idol friends or something, it’s just terrible and I don’t think I can handle it.” Minhee poured her heart out and seemed to be nearing tears.

“But if you love him, it’s all worth it right?” I panicked, the girl in charge of transporting us home was breaking down.

“That’s the thing, Minhyo. I don’t know if I love him enough to be so linked with him. Once I’m introduced tomorrow, I’ll always be linked with him. I’ll always be Minhee, the girl who dated Shinee’s maknae.” she let go of the wheel to mime a billboard. I shifted nervously and shifted back when she put her hands back on the wheel.

“How’d you meet him?” I asked.

“Well, there was this festival in Seoul a while back. I was looking for the guy who gave me my first kiss, who happens to be FT Island’s guitarist and my older brother’s best friend. My brother had already reunited with him backstage, and I was lost amongst all the bustling people readying the next performers. I was really desperate to find him, so I asked Taemin, who looked very different back then. I don’t remember what I wanted of Seunghyun, because I only remember Taemin calling me noona and asking me to drink coffee with him. It was a few months into our dating that Taemin discovered he was a year older than I was.” she chuckled fondly and I could only stare at her with my mouth wide open.

“Song Seunghyun gave you your first kiss?! Choi Minhwan walked me to school every day when I was younger!” I exclaimed.

“Not a surprise. Who isn’t linked to an idol in some way?” Minhee sighed.

Minhee only entered our apartment to pick up some clothes and her makeup. She bid me goodbye and left to be with Taemin, leaving me wondering who else she knew.