Chapter 3

Could This Ever Be?

 

  The silence of the hotel room was broken by the insistent knocking.

 

  Taecyeon fumbled out of the bed, and walked towards the door, half-awake. When he opened the door and Nichkhun was there.

 

“Wooyoung is... missing.”

 

  Nichkhun's face looked heavy with worry, it was crumpled, and if you looked close enough, you could see a tear threatening to drop. He was thumbing his feet to the rhythm of anxiousness and frustration. Nichkhun's breathing was uneasy. “Wooyoung-ah, where are you?” was all that filled his mind.

 

  "Woah, calm down." Taceyeon said, ushering Nichkhun in, "Are you sure about that? You still look pretty wasted to me." 

 

  "I'm perfectly sober, and I checked everywhere." Nichkhun replied, annoyed by Taceyeon's accusation.

 

  "Did you call him?" Taecyeon ask.

 

  At this point, Nichkhun was beyond annoyed. "Of course I did, do you think I'm stupid."

 

  "Hey, I'm just trying to help, okay." Taecyeon snapped, unhappy with the hostility.

 

  "I'm sorry, I'm just worried." 

 

  "I know," Taecyeon squeezed Nichkhun shoulder reassuringly, "I'll settle it, don't worry."

 

**

 

  “Okay, so I called Minjae-hyung, he is helping to find Wooyoung as we speak. He says that the rest of us should stay in our hotel room, and he will inform us if there's any news.”

 

"Just sit around?" What an absurd idea. He grabbed his coat, “I'm going to look for Wooyoung.”

 

“Don't be rash Nichkhun, Wooyoung is a grown-up and he can take care of himself,” Taecyeon  said, “And don't you remember? We still have a schedule!”

 

**

 

  “Screw the schedule!” was the last thing Nichkhun said before he slammed the door behind him and walked out. 

 

  Wooyoung was not a grown-up in Nichkhun's eyes. He will always be the little brother that he never have. The one that always whines for ice-cream, and never grows old. How could he bear to let him be alone in a foreign country. What would happen to him if he was not there with him? That was something he did not dare to imagine. He had no idea why Wooyoung would just run out like he did but answers can wait. The most important thing is to find Wooyoung. 

 

  He held on to his phone; he redialled the same the number over and over again. It was driving him insane that Wooyoung would not pick up his call. He tried to message him. 

 

“Wooyoung-ah, where are you? Hyung is very worried about you. ):”

 

“Wooyoung-ah, please don't do this to hyung. Just call me... please D:”

 

“Wooyoung-ah, did hyung do something wrong? Let's talk about it? Call hyung okay? ;)”

 

  He checked his phone every five seconds. He even texted Junho to double check that his phone was not spoilt. Just to be sure, he even rebooted his phone three times. But, there was still no reply. 

 

  He had to sit down. Taecyeon was right, he was still wasted. He was having the worse hangover. He closed his eyes, and rubbed his temple to calm his throbbing headache. He did not let himself rest long though, just in case he might just miss Wooyoung in those split seconds. When he was about to stand up, the memories of last night suddenly hit him, and it hit him hard. 

 

  Angry with himself, he punched the metal pole. It should hurt a lot, but all he could feel is the emotions raging inside of him. He could harldly catch his breath. “Oh no, what did I do Wooyoung...”

 

  He hated himself. Was he the reason Wooyoung ran away? Was he afriad of him now? Will things ever be the same with Wooyoung again? He should have known better. What possessed him to think that he could drink more than Taecyeon. He should have never hurt Wooyoung. He wanted to kill himself. It would be better than this. Better than having his Wooyoung run away from him. He should have hid his feelings better.

 

  He did not know what to do anymore. How can he face Wooyoung now? Regardless of what happen, he needed to find Wooyoung. Nothing else mattered for now. So, Nichkhun took a deep breath to calm himself down. When he looked up, and was about to continue his search, he saw an Italian bistro. He could not help but remember. 

 

**

 

  He remembered when he got his first paycheck as a trainee. He treated Wooyoung to pasta in a very similar restaurant because he could not believe that Wooyoung had never ate pasta before, so, he promised him that once he got his paycheck, he will make sure that Wooyoung get to enjoy the best food on earth.

 

  “This place looks expensive hyung.” Wooyoung said with a worried pout on his face.

 

  Nichkhun looked at him, puzzled. His korean was still under construction back than.

 

  “This place,” Wooyoung repeated, “looks expensive." He rubbed his fingers to convey money. They often had to use charades to fully understand each other, but, he still enjoyed his conversation with Wooyoung nonetheless.

 

  “Haha, don't worry about it!” Nichkhun said, rubbing Wooyoung's hair, “C'mon, let's go in!”

 

  He could not help but feel  please that Wooyoung worried about him.

 

  A very nice waiter bought them to their seats. Honestly, Nichkhun could not remember his face because he could not take his eyes off Wooyoung. Wooyoung was being overcautious because it was his first time in an Italian restaurant. It was a very endearing sight. 

  When they were seated, Wooyoung looked through the menu – stunned. He did not understand anything written in the menu. Scanning through the menu, his eyes opened wide, and his mouth dropped. Nichkhun could clearly tell that he did not know what to order.

 

  “How about I order for you?” Nichkhun ask, flashing an eye smile to Wooyoung.

 

  He enjoyed babying Wooyoung. It became part of his daily routine. Back than, he did not know why, but now, he knows it is because he loved Wooyoung.

 

  “Okay!” Wooyoung said, with a wide grin on his face, passing the menu with both hands to Nickhun, “I'm sure I'll like whatever Khun-hyung likes!”

 

  Nichkhun's heart fluttered.  He was about to share something he loved with Wooyoung. He was excited, very excited. 

 

  In the midst of their conversation, the food came.

 

“Hehe, it smells nice!” Wooyoung chirpped, “don't mind if i dig in!”

 

Nichkhun always enjoyed watching Wooyoung eat because he always looked so happy. He will eat with much concentration. Staring down at the food and not looking up until he finish every bite (This is how Nichkhun is never caught when he stares at Wooyoung eating), doing this while always still having a big smile on his face. He ate especially quick today. He must have liked it. That made Nichkhun very happy.

 

“Yummy!” Wooyoung said, with two thumbs up.

 

“I'm glad you liked it,” Nichkhun said, smiling. He realised that he is always smiling whenever he is with Wooyoung. “Here, take mine as well, hyung is not hungry.”

 

He lied, he was starving, but he would much rather see Wooyoung eating.

 

“I can't...”

 

“I insist, we can't let food go to waste can we?” Nichkhun pouted.

 

“Well, don't mind if i do!”

 

While Wooyoung was busy gorging down the food. Nichkhun said, “If you like, hyung will bring you here more often.”

 

“I would like that,” Wooyoung said, “I like eating with you.”

 

I like eating with you...

 

**

 

Why did he say those words to Wooyoung. If he did not, then maybe they would be eating some pasta right now.

 

Come back to me, come back to me Wooyoung. Hyung is sorry.