The Scarecrow’s True Face

Scarecrow

 

The slight chilly rain that started when I stepped out of the house has already turned into a huge downpour. I scanned the place again but not even one soul was in sight. I smiled dryly and made my way to my car which was parked on the side of the road.

 

I sighed deeply as I sat, letting my hands rest on the steering wheel, and closed my eyes. My fingers tightened around the wheel, until it has turned pale from deprivation of blood.

 

After seconds that seemed like a lifetime, I finally opened my eyes and stared at my hands which were pale white. I loosened my grip in an instant. I massaged my hands until the feeling came back, and that’s when I felt the ring I was wearing on my left ring finger.

 

I raised my hand against the light, staring at the golden band. Somehow, I can’t feel the usual warmth the sight of that ring gave me. Outside, the rain continued to pour endlessly. Despite it not hitting me, I felt so cold.

 

Dear rain, are you trying to freeze my heart instead?

 

I started my car and drove away from the solitary place. And while driving away, it made me remember the memories that will forever be with me.

 

A year and a week ago, I, Dara Park, was supposed to pick up my best friend, Lee Chaerin, in the library she frequently visits. But being the total moron that I am, I forgot and made her wait for two whole hours. After parking my car, I rushed in blindly and called her.

 

“Chaerin!”

 

I earned bewildered looks from everyone inside and I clapped my hand on my mouth. What did I say earlier? I’m a total moron. Only people like me shout in a quiet place like the library.

 

I apologized, this time quietly, and saw a girl about my age wave at me. I smiled and sat on a chair beside her only to receive a playful, but hard punch. I rubbed my arm which she hit and she laughed at my horrified expression.

 

“Shouting in a library…very original,” she said with a smirk. “Late, too. Let’s not forget about that.”

 

I rolled my eyes and groaned. If she only asked me to pick her up in a mall, I would definitely be earlier. But with Chaerin, books in the library were far more important. I snuggled closer to her and said, “Forgive me, okay? It will never happen again.”

 

“Fine,” Chaerin grinned. She flipped a page of the book she was reading, and said without even looking at me, “Just let me finish this chapter.” I pursed my lips. A chapter meant the whole book, and I was itching to get home. But since I was so late, I decided to let her do what she wanted. I owe her that much.

 

I leaned back on my chair and crossed my arms, bored by the silence inside the hall. Chaerin had some books stacked up on the table and I silently read the titles. I stared at her after I did, because the books were mostly historical and it involved some heavy reading. She paid no attention to me though; she’s clearly engrossed with the book she was reading at the moment.

 

I scanned the place and much to my surprise, I saw another pair of eyes staring into mine. The beautiful pair of eyes was owned by a young man. He was wearing a uniform for library personnel and I wondered why on earth a guy like him wanted to work in a dreary place like the library. He was undeniably good-looking, with a well-toned body to match that face of his. He blushed when our eyes met, and turned his attention back to the book he was stacking. I sensed he got frazzled with me catching him stealing glances because the books neatly piled turned into a toppled mess. I laughed to myself and turned to Chaerin who was nearing the end of the book.

 

“Now I know why you like going here,” I naughtily teased and nudged her with my elbow. Chaerin gave me a puzzle expression and I pointed the young man with my mouth. Blushing furiously, she closed the book and said, “Ya! It’s not what you think! I c-come here for the b-books!”

 

I laughed at her nervous and defensive retort. Chaerin was so innocent when it comes to boys. Well, we both are, but I appear like the mischievous one. “Besides,” Chaerin spoke and I turned my head in her direction, “he’s new. He just came in last week.”

 

I glanced again at the guy and smiled. “Is he single?”

 

“How should I know?” Chaerin asked. She playfully pulled my hair and said, “Stop looking. This is a library, not some club where you can hunt unsuspecting boys.” I chuckled, but it did not make me stop looking at the new guy.

 

I personally thought he was cute and he certainly fell under my type. But I felt that Chaerin likes him, so I decided to keep my hands off of him. No guy was worth more than my friendship with her.

 

Chaerin finally finished the book she was reading and we left after she borrowed a couple more books. But once we reached outside, we saw the rain falling heavily and our frustrated groans came out automatically. No one brought an umbrella.

 

Then like a knight in shining armor, the cute guy from the library came out and offered to us to my car. We shyly accepted and the guy flashed me a happy but bashful smile. He looked so cute when he did, and I wondered if I was falling for him, which was stupid, because it was the first time we met.

 

The next day, I found myself in the library, this time reading with my best friend. I wasn’t interested in any of the books; I just wanted to see the cute guy again. And just like yesterday, I saw him stealing glances and I couldn’t help but feel guilty yet happy. Guilty because I was starting to like a guy my friend probably likes. Happy because he’s looking at our direction.

 

But this time when we left, the guy gave a letter—to me. I was surprised and I felt so nervous, I only opened the letter to read when Chaerin and I reached the house.

 

Kwon Jiyong, the cute guy who gave me the letter, confessed his feelings for me on that piece of paper. I was filled with mixed emotions as I skimmed through his letter. Before I could even finish, the paper was snatched from me and Chaerin was reading it out loud.

 

“He’s asking for a date?!” Chaerin exclaimed after she read the last word written. She gave a hearty laugh, and I cringed in embarrassment. If I was surprised by Jiyong’s confession, Chaerin’s reaction left me speechless. “Go for it.”

 

“Ya! I thought you like him,” I warily said.

 

“It was just you who thought that,” Chaerin said and she stuck out her tongue. “It’s fine with me.”

 

I huffed angrily and hugged her, glad for her support.

 

So from the first date, Jiyong and I had more until we became a couple. He was more than a pretty face. He was caring, sweet, fun and dynamic. Every day I spent with Jiyong made me fall in love with him more.

 

But with every moment Jiyong and I were together, the time I saw Chaerin became less and less. And that was when I noticed the change in her.

 

She was not as enthusiastic as she was when knowing the updates on my relationship. In fact, every time it was brought up, she’ll clam right up. Maybe I was at fault. I was neglecting her.

 

Oddly enough, Chaerin became close to Jiyong. Whenever I got too busy with my other activities, they get together and hang out. I haven’t thought much of it, until three days ago.

 

Like every afternoon, Jiyong and I spent it together doing random stuff—going to the beach or visiting the countryside. That day, we decided just to take a walk on the park and we had fun. Jiyong was walking me home when he suddenly hummed a melody—the same melody Chaerin taught me.

 

“Where did you learn that?” I asked.

 

“From Chaerin,” Jiyong replied. “She said that whenever one of you feels sad, the other would sing it for her.”

 

I smiled, but deep inside, I was feeling a little jealous. This was sick, because Chaerin is my friend. Me and my jealous genes.

 

When Jiyong called me this morning to confirm our meeting, I saw Chaerin give a cold stare and I was deeply unnerved.

 

Does she like Jiyong?

 

That was when I decided to end everything.

 

Even if it hurts.

 

A few minutes later, I finally reached home. I was about to open the door when I heard someone call my name.

 

“Dara…”

 

It was Jiyong’s voice. I scanned the place and saw no one. The front yard and the street were completely deserted. I tried to shake it off, but the voice I heard seemed so real. It was like Jiyong was only a few feet away from me.

 

I took a deep breath and entered the house. Chaerin was sitting on the couch, watching TV and enjoying a bowl of ice cream.

 

“You’re home early,” I heard her say.

 

I gave her a half-smile then went straight to the kitchen. I felt thirsty and I decided to have some of the pureed mango juice in the fridge. I grabbed the door handle and thought, I would have been late if…

 

An alarm went off after I saw the pictures on the fridge door. There was something wrong…

 

Awfully wrong.

 

Something doesn’t belong.

 

When I left the house, there were only two pictures. My throat went dry and my breathing became shallow. Because the third photo, the one with me and Chaerin in the library, it wasn’t supposed to be there.

 

The only copy is with Jiyong.

 

We interrupt this program for our breaking news.”

 

 My attention was caught by the announcement over the TV. I don’t know what it was all about but something made me go back to the living room, wanting to hear more.

 

Another victim of hit-and-run was found in Gyeongnam-do District. The police have not ruled out robbery, as it turns that the person is missing his wallet, probably to make the victim unknown. If you know this man,”

 

A picture of the victim was flashed and my eyes widened with horror as I recognized who it was.

 

It was Jiyong.

 

“…please approach the police or call the number flashing across the screen.”

 

Jiyong? No wonder he didn’t show up for our meeting.

 

I glanced at Chaerin who was staring on the screen and that’s when I saw it. Something shiny was hanging on her necklace. At first, I thought it was a pendant but when I got closer, I felt my heart drop.

 

It was not a pendant.

 

It was a ring.

 

The pair to mine…

 

…Jiyong’s ring.

 

The alarm that went off when I saw the picture back in the kitchen was blaring in my head now.

 

It can’t be, can it?

 

What are you doing with Jiyong’s ring, Chaerin?

 

My thoughts screamed in my head, but the fear in me withdrew my voice and I couldn’t speak. My chest was constricted and I was afraid I would actually faint. I wanted to scream at her, ask her for an explanation, but I couldn’t find my voice.

 

Tears started to fall from my eyes. I thought I lost my voice forever until I have asked, “Chaerin, what have you done?”

 

I wanted Chaerin to look at me, but when she did, I wish she didn’t.

 

Because her eyes were different. Everything about her was different.

 

The person standing in front of me looked nothing like her.

 

The innocence in her was replaced by something menacing, something dangerous.

 

“I’m sorry, Dara-yah,” Chaerin spoke but even her voice changed to something I don’t even recognize. “He wasn’t supposed to die, but he got in the way. He got too close and it cost him his life.”

 

If I was scared awhile ago, I was horrified now.

 

“Please don’t look at me like that. Believe me; everything would be better now he’s gone.”

 

She smiled, but even the smile looked evil to me. I froze in fear, in disbelief. Chaerin came forward, hugged me and whispered in my ear, “Haven’t I told you that I hate crows?”

 

That’s when it hit me.

 

Chaerin turned to something I fear more than a dummy in a field.

 

She turned into a living scarecrow…

 

And she has the desire to kill.



“The victim of the hit-and-run in Gyeongnam-do District was already identified as Kwon Jiyong, a student of Seoul National University. Investigation regarding his death is still in the process. Also in the same district, a house burned. Its residents, Dara Park and Lee Chaerin, were found inside, dead. The police have considered it as an arson case. On the other news…”