Birthday Gifts

I Love You, Mister Stranger

 

banner credits to @Lalab_Shi

-------

The next days passed by like a blur. I started to give up on finding out who Daddy-Long-Legs is. I decided instead to go with the flow. Daddy-Long-Legs never stopped writing. He never stopped making me smile too. And he never stopped on making me wonder who he is. Sometimes, I would find a candy, a chocolate bar, or a lollipop along with the note. According to him, he believes that the sweetness of these foods adds up to the sweetness of my smile. Now who would not get smitten by his words? If he’s saying these things to me personally, one would think he’s courting already.

However, one day, when I arrived at school, there was some kind of an unexplainable feeling that orders me to go back to that trash can and spy on whoever sends me those messages. I don’t know, but I got a strong feeling today.

So, whatever… it wouldn’t hurt, would it? I followed my instinct. I decided to not attend my classes this morning again.

I kneeled behind the trash can and peeked. I wanted to not blink; I wanted to just stare blankly. But, I know that’s impossible. I don’t think that Daddy-Long-Legs would appear and disappear as fast I blink.

I sighed as I felt tired. Weird though, only 30 minutes have passed.

After a while, the bell rang signaling the first class. Students started to retreat to their rooms. In no time, the hallway became empty.

An hour passed and no one approached my locker. I yawned as I felt sleepy, but I couldn’t risk missing a thing, he might have arrived while I drifted to sleep. Therefore, I pinched myself.

I jumped to my feet when the bell rang again, signaling the next class. I quickly kneeled behind the trash can seeing students coming out of the classrooms. I expected that by this time, someone will finally approach my locker.

I haven’t noticed that I was holding my breath. I was too anxious now. He might show himself now. I can’t help it, I’m too excited. If I see him, I would never let him go.

“What are you doing here?!” a voice came behind me making me jump.

I faced the source of the voice and glared at him and cursed under my breath.

“You scared me!” I exclaimed, pounding my fist on his chest.

“Hey! Hey! Is that how you welcome me?” he asked while laughing. “Aren’t you happy that I came back?”
“Kwon Jiyong!” I exclaimed again.

“What are you doing by the way?” he asked again.

Suddenly remembering what I was doing before he scared me, I turned my back to him and sighed in frustration.

“What?” he asked behind me.

I ran towards my locker. To my horror, there was a note. “Aish! There! That’s what I’m talking about!”

“What are you talking about?” he asked again.

“Aish!!!!” I stomped my feet.

“Hey! Stop that!” he said, kneeling down to touch the floor. “Have mercy to the floor!”

I stared down at him and went to attend my next class.

 

Oh, what good music. This is what I like about piano music. They’re relaxing to the ears. They make you want to sleep with the piano music lingering in your mind while you’re still asleep. But, wait, isn’t that music familiar? Ah, yes. That’s what Daddy-Long-Legs and I composed, though not together.

Aish, I should be sitting up to check who’s playing this. I know it’s Daddy-Long-Legs already but my eyes refused to open. I still want to sleep.

Silence filled my ears after a while. Oh, so Daddy-Long-Legs stopped playing piano. I finally sat up and rubbed my eyes sleepily. I noticed I was wrapped yet again with a man’s coat, which I assumed to be belonging to Daddy-Long-Legs. As expected, there was a note on the keys.

 

                Happy birthday…

 

My eyes widened. It’s my birthday today? I asked myself. How could I even forget my own birthday? How stupid could I get?

I climbed down the piano. I was about to leave when I saw another that I didn’t notice a while ago on the piano seat. I picked it up and read the note.

 

                Look for a pink guitar.

 

I frowned. Is this some kind of a treasure hunting? Nevertheless, I followed what he said. I walked towards the musical instruments and saw a pink guitar that immediately stood out among the plain-colored guitars. I picked it up and saw something hanging on its neck. On the guitar was another note. I picked it up and read.

 

                Do you like my gift? I know you like music and you like pink, so I took time in picking this cute pink guitar. Also, the locket is a bonus. Open it, you can see my picture. Kekeke. Oh, and I got one too, with your picture in it.

 

My face lit up. Is he serious? Is he going to reveal himself finally? Oh my, I love this birthday! I quickly took off the locket on the guitar’s neck and opened it with fumbling hands. What I saw then immediately made my smile faltered.

Oh, he’s talking about HIS picture alright. Oh yeah, Daddy-Long-Legs. It’s a picture of the anime version of Daddy-Long-Legs. I closed the locket angrily and lifted it up in the air ready to throw it away. But then, I changed my mind. This is a gift anyway. Aish! He fooled me!

Deciding to go home now, I stepped out of the music room and headed to my locker to post another message to Daddy-Long-Legs. I was struggling with all the loads I was carrying. I hanged the guitar behind me; I hanged Daddy-Long-Legs on my right arm and my bag on my left arm.

When I was able to reach the lockers area, I was shocked by the lone student I found.

“Oh, Dara! You’re still here?” Kwon Jiyong noticed while he was rummaging with his things in his locker.

However, I noticed something. But I tried not to make it too obvious to him. A knowing smile curved my lips while I was writing a note and stuck it up on my locker. I faced him after with the smile still on my lips. “Oh, nothing, I was just in the music room. How about you?”

“Oh!” he gasped then faced me. Noticing my smile, he tried to mirror my expression. “You look happy. Anyway, I was already at home when I remembered that I left something. So I came back.”

I nodded knowingly.

“Oh, that’s a guy’s jacket,” he noticed.

I stared at him, amazed how he opened it up.

“It’s Daddy-Long-Legs’ coat,” I said matter-of-factly. “Speaking of coats, why aren’t you wearing yours?”

I expected him to blanch. I expected him to fidget. I expected his jaw to open wide in horror. I expected all of the signs of nervousness in him.

But I failed.

He just blinked and smiled continuously.

“I told you, I was already home when I remembered I left something. I already started undressing to change to a casual one when I remembered it,” he explained.

He passed by me but I caught his wrist.

He turned to me. “What’s wrong?” he asked.

I held my hand out.

“What?” he asked innocently.

I didn’t say anything.

“What?! You’re creeping me out!” he complained.

I chuckled. “It’s my birthday.”

“What?!” he gasped. He grabbed my wrist a little bit forcefully. “Come! Let’s buy a cake and celebrate.”

 

After we bought a cake on a bakery, we decided to leave and celebrate at his apartment. We both got excited knowing that he still has some bottles of wine. It’s really time to party, even if it’s just the both of us.

However, when he was already on his motorbike, trying to kick the engine to start, it won’t.

“This looks like trouble,” he mumbled.

We walked the bike to a nearby repair shop. When we reached there, he was discussing with the repairman about what’s wrong with his bike. I felt out of place for a while. Because I felt that it would be long, I put my helmet beside his on the bench.

“Ji…Jiyong,” I called.

He stood up and turned to me while he left the repairman fixing whatever is wrong with his bike.

I took his helmet and showed it to him.

“This helmet, why does it have a crack on it?” I asked.

He looked clueless. “What crack?”

“This,” I pointed to the crack in front.

“Oh, nothing,” he waved it off and about to turn to his bike.

“Don’t lie to me,” I warned him.

He stared at me. He looked hesitant but he answered with a serious tone though. “Do you remember when I offered to drive you home when we were in the hospital?”

I thought for a while. Then, I remembered. I stared at him again. “I’m sorry.”

He shook his head. “It’s okay, it’s just a crack,” he said and turned back to his bike.

I glanced around the repair shop suddenly having an idea.

“Ahjussi,” I called when I approached one of their workers. “Do you sell helmets here?”

The ahjussi shook his head.

“Where can I buy one?” I asked.

“Do you see that street few blocks from here? The one without streetlamps? Turn on that curve and you’ll see the one and only bike shop. They sell brand new helmets.”

“Thank you,” I said and bowed.

I turned back to Jiyong. He still looked busy with his bike. I won’t be long. Maybe he won’t notice. With a strong thump inside my chest, I took a step and went towards the street without streetlamps.

-------

Unnie's Note: [wondering why it isn't the typical Auhor's Note? you would find out below]

Sorry, a boring chapter. kekeke, and not to mention a short one. i was too busy with school. TT_________TT

ANYWAY! A TEASER:

An idea popped in my mind. A smile curved my lips and I ran exciedly towards my locker. After I wrote the note, I looked for a specific number and didn't hesitate to text it.

---------

Any guesses for the next chapter? Let me hear your voices and comment below.

Anyway, thank you so much for the overwhelming responses for this fic. I know it's too ordinary to deserve such kind of support from you. 

PS: i realized something. don't call me 'Author-nim', i think it's too formal. Kekeke. I want my readers to call me by my name [which is Zainy] or by Unnie. I want a friendly and light atmosphere when it comes to interactions with you. :D