What are you doing here?

An Angel Just for Jang Hyunseung

  I went down to the living room after wearing my school uniform. I didn't tie the top button of my shirt and just let my tie hang loose since I was too lazy to. I put on my navy blue blazer and blue pants. I messed my hair a bit too. It was my first day of school and I was really excited to go because I've never been to one. I heard from some guardian angels say there were thirty-five to forty students in each class. What do they do with so many students?

  Hyunseung was chewing on a sandwich filled with potato chips when I arrived. In his other hand was a soda. Was that his breakfast? Humans are so weird. Like those I met in the café and now this guy. Hyunseung glanced at me and turned his attention back to the...thing that is black and slim and shows people talking and...people. What the heck's that? Is it a computer? Yoseob once told me about them when he had come down to Earth to meet his friend.

  "What's with the uniform? Lee Howon is gonna flip when he sees you," Hyunseung said to me without looking away from that strange 'thing'.

  "Who's Lee Howon?" I asked curiously.

  "School president. God, he's such a freak. Can't he learn to live and let go?" He muttered to himself.

  I remembered that 'thing' again. "Hyunseung, what is that thing?" I pointed at the 'thing'.

  He gave me the eye and when I say the eye, I mean the look that makes you wonder what's wrong with you.

  "You don't know what that is?" He looked a little bewildered.

  I shook my head in answer. Hyunseung stood up and touched my forehead. He took a deep breath.

  He finally answered my question," That is a television set or a TV for short. It's a plasma TV."

  "Ding, ding, ding," The pendulum clock swung from left to right and vice versa.

  "Ah, time to go to school. It's a five-minute walk from here. Let's go!" Hyunseung held my hand and rushed outside. I quickly grabbed my bag while we were running.

  We ran until we reached the school. Apparently, it was a five-minute run to the school. My mouth hung wide open when I saw the school. The gate was big and the door to the inside of the school was far, far away. There was a path that led to the door. On the left side of the path, there was a garden and on the other side was the entrance to the the backyard. The name plate wrote 'Cube Academy'. Hyunseung and I walked to the school together. Inside, the hallway stretched all the way to darkness. There were several corridors that led to different rooms. There were sign posts everywhere. Hyunseung told me to follow them to the General Office and asked me to meet up with him in the school hall. I nodded and he left. The bell rang at once. I did as I was told and entered the office nervously.

  The office was big, as expected from such a huge school. A lady signaled me to go and talk to her. Ms Shourin Lee, her tag read.

  "Yong Junhyung?" She inquired. "17 years old, turning 18 tomorrow. Taking rap, dance and music classes."

  "Yes," I replied as God had told me to do so. 

  "Okay, here's your schedule and please meet the principal in her office. She's waiting." She pointed at a mahogany door.

  I strutted towards the door and rapped lightly on the door. Slowly, I opened it. The room looked cozy. There were some shelves, filled with trophies, next to the window. The window was covered in Doraemon stickers and purple curtains were hung over it. There was a loveseat near a white cupboard. Inside the cupboard, there were porcelain cups, china plates et cetra. In front of the loveseat was a glass table with magazines on top of it. A desk was in the middle of the room; behind it was an office chair. Sitting on the office chair was a middle-aged woman. Her hair was grey and tied up in a bun.

  She turned around and faced me. Her forehead creases were quite clear. Her lips were twisted in a smile and she had adorned an eye smile during the whole smiling process.

  "Why are you standing? Please sit down," She said pointing to one of the chairs in front of her desk. I obediently sat down.

  She continued from before, "So how is your day going? Smooth or rocky? You know how first days are: tiring, nerve-wrecking, frustrating..." She listed a bunch of adjectives my brain could not register. "Then again, it's your first time studying in a school. Anyway, my name is Ms. Kim Eunhae, English name Sonja but please call me Principal Kim or PK for conveniency. Oh and please tidy your uniform. I don't mind about such things but Lee Howon will filip if he sees you like this."

  I was about to ask her how she knew this was my first time coming to school. However, she disappeared after telling me to go to the school hall. Honestly, I was rather used to the weirdness of Earthlings by then.

  Hyunseung looked up, "Ah, Junhyung-ssi, you're here. Please meet my friends."

  He pointed at a handsome guy. Red headphones hung over his neck. He donned a red blazer and black pants. Is he from another school? "Doojoon”

  Next was a spiky-haired guy. I think he's the oldest. He was also wearing a red blazer with black pants. "Dongwoon”

  After Dongwoon was a boy with thick lips and apparently an eye smile. The boy was wearing a navy blue jacket and blue pants. "Kikwang”

  Finally, there was a cute boy doing lots of aegyo while greeting me. He was wearing a red blazer with black pants. "Yoseob”

  Doojoon, Dongwoon, Kikwang and Yoseob....Hmm...Yoseob, Yoseob, Yoseob!

  "W-What are you doing here?" I half-screamed at my childhood friend.

  "Don't scream! You're in public," Yoseob said calmly.