Sunflower

Sunflower

 

While I looked up at the sun in the powder blue sky patterned with white cotton balls, my hand reached down to pat my best friend's stomach to wake him up. His first day of summer vacation had finally arrived. The boy squirmed under my gentle pats, indicating that he was too tired to get up. Watching him incited a lively chuckle to escape from my lips.

          "Jonghyun, wake up." I whispered close into his ears. So close that I could spot the ear fuzz on his ear lobe. With that, he shivered and his eyes fluttered open. In return to his obedience, I flashed him a smile.

          "Hm?" His voice was groggy and unsteady. Of course the one man who convinced me to sneak out of the hospital at 2 o'clock in the morning and wait with him until the sun came up would be the first of the two of us to fall asleep. "What time is it?" He asked while he elongated his mouth to yawn.

          For fun, I decided to . "It’s time for you to get a watch." I laughed as he gave me a whiny groan in response. "Seriously, though. I don't know." I replied. However, if I were to guess, it must be around 7:00 AM since I predicted that Jonghyun fell asleep around 5:00 AM.

          "Is the sun up yet?" He asked while sitting up, with my hand supporting his shoulder. I nodded and looked up at the sky to show him without words. The sun was shining brightly like a sunflower in the sky, like the millions that were planted in the field Jonghyun and I were sitting on.

          "Isn't it beautiful?" Jonghyun smiled at me, and I just silently giggled at the sparkly glint his eyes were radiating. "I'll get to see this everyday with you for two months." Jonghyun reached for a sunflower nearby his thigh and gingerly plucked it from the soil beneath us and offered it to me.

          With a smile on my face, I accepted the beautiful flower and placed it in between my hands on my lap. The sweet smell that seeped through my nostrils when I held it close to my nose and the softness of its stem and petals was amazing. It was all so mesmerizing.

          "Kibum?" Jonghyun turned towards me and held my hands in his own, making me drop the pretty flower.

          "Jonghyun -" But before I could complain, he delicately squeezed my hands. "What's wrong?" I asked, confused at his sudden actions.

          "Let's run away. Together." He held my confused stare for a while before I smiled and looked down at my white gown. Wait, what? Oh, that's right. I didn't bother changing into my regular clothes, so I ran away while in my hospital attire.

          "Jonghyun, I love you." I started off, but although the words were affectionate and smitten, his expression turned into one of a puppy who was neglected by his owner. "Baby, I do. But," I looked into the distant hills that I would look at through my windows back in the white building behind us. "Right now, I can't. I have to get better. I need to-" But Jonghyun didn't want to hear my excuses.

          "You need to what!? You've been trapped here for seventeen years for God's sake Kibum! I want to spend every day with my boyfriend. With you! I can take care of you. I have the money!" Jonghyun grabbed my petite wrists and looked me in the eye. "Please." My heart sank. His words weren't meant to be offensive, but I felt like my heart was jabbed multiple times.

          "J-Jonghyun," I stammered, tears pricking my eyes. "Is this not good enough for you?" I asked, forcefully biting my lower lip to keep myself from coming undone in front of him. Jonghyun looked at me with wide eyes and slowly shook his head, seemingly bewildered at my question.

          "Kibum, what do you-" "Is sitting here not good enough anymore?" I asked, trying to hide the pain, but failing miserably as I felt the tears roll down my cheeks.

          "No! Of course not!" Jonghyun grabbed my shoulders like he used to when we were little. When the doctors would come to take blood from me, I was so much of a crybaby that the other kids in the hospital would make fun of me. Even though the needle wasn't even injected in me yet, I would already be a mess. Jonghyun, unlike the people surrounding me, would calm me down by holding my hand and hugging me as the doctor gave me the shot. It worked and I would instantly stop crying. Right now, however, I wasn't so sure if his hugs would do the job.

          "Am I not good e-enough for you anymore Jonghyun? Do you w-want to leave me?" I asked, while hiccups began to form as I spoke. My hands desperately held on to the back of Jonghyun's shirt, terrified that he might leave me and frightened that he would say yes.

          "Kibum, I won't ever leave you. I'll always be here. Don't cry anymore, it's bad for you. I'm here. Please, don't cry." He worriedly whispered into my ears, but I couldn't concentrate on them because of the painful headaches that were forming in the back of my head.

          My hands fisted into his shirt and forcefully buried my forehead on his chest, trying to erase the pain. I felt Jonghyun start to pick me up while I still forced my head on his collarbone. The next thing I'm aware of is that I'm on the same bed I've been sleeping in for all my life. I recognized the hard mattress and cold covers in an instant. Standing above my head was Dr.Lee, Jonghyun's cousin. His clipboard was in his right hand while the left hand busily wrote down data I was unsure about.

          "Kibum? Do you feel alright?" He asked while he dropped the board to his sides after seeing that I was awake. "Jonghyun said you were crying again. Do you need to talk to Mrs.Cho again?" He asked and I whispered a "No."

          Mrs.Cho was the therapist of this hospital, and I knew that if I were to visit her again, I wouldn't see Jonghyun for very long anymore. I know from past experience. 

          “Did Jonghyun make you cry again?” He touched my forearm to tell me that he would beat him up for me, but I smiled and shook my head. Even though it was Jonghyun’s fault, I didn’t want Jinki, Mr.Lee, pummeling my boyfriend.

          “I only cried because he gave me a sunflower.” I lied. Of course after that, he was going to interrogate me.

          “A sunflower?” He asked.

          “A beautiful sunflower.” I responded, still smiling up at him.

          “I see. Kibum, your heart is like a teenage girl’s.” He chuckled and ruffled my hair. Unconsciously, my tongue darted out and let out a ‘mehrong~’ sound. As a reply, Jinki smiled and stood up.

          “You’re very strong Kibum.” His tone dramatically changed. “Just wait seven more years Kibum. Just seven more.” He whispered over and over as he walked out the door. He even flashed me a seven as best as he could with his fingers, it didn’t end well. The clipboard fell down and gave a loud clank as it collided with the tiles.

          I know. I’ve been counting. In seven years, I’ll be healthy again. In seven years, I’ll be able to go out of the hospital. In seven years, I’ll be with Jonghyun. It’s all laid out for me. In seven years.

          “Kibum!” Taemin called out to me in the hallway while he carried the fabrics I needed for my designs. “I have them all right here. Where do you need them?” He panted.

          “Where’s Minho to do all the handiwork?” I furrowed my eyebrows at the sight in front of me. I took one of the roll of the zebra-print fabric from the brunette.

          “Just follow me Taemin. I don’t want you to overexert yourself.” I smiled while he returned the gesture. I began leading him to the elevator, where we would take a shortcut to the highest floor, which was where my office was located.

          “Hyung, what are these new designs for anyway?” Taemin curiously asked while we boarded the elevator. “Is it for a new magazine?” He bombarded me with lists of magazines that the designs might be for. I laughed in response and shook my head to all of them.

          “I just had inspiration. That’s all.” I said, looking up at the number that flashed above the doors. Floor six, three more floors. Maybe it was my imagination, but I felt impatient to get to my office. Like, something was bound to happen, but I didn’t know when or where. I decided to ignore it and busied myself with a conversation that Taemin started himself.

          “Minho never helps me out! He’s a terrible employee hyung! You should fire him!” Taemin insisted while his lower lip jutted out into a pout. I shook my head in refusal, but he pestered me with a verbal list of why I should indeed fire Minho.

          “Taemin, I know you loathe him. However, I’m not going to fire an important worker of mine just because one person is too lazy to do his own handiwork.” I eyed Taemin playfully. He just groaned and stepped out of the doors when we finally reached the top floor. Before I could follow him out, Taemin all of a sudden dropped the rolls of fabric which caused me to start yelling.

          “Taemin! Yah! What do you think you’re doing!?” I swatted his arm, hurriedly diving in to the ground to pick them up. Taemin just stood there though, like a boulder. A very light boulder. “Hey! Come on!” I insisted, but before I could nag him anymore, I heard my name being called by a familiar voice.

          “Kibum-ah.” His voice rang through my ears and I immediately recognized it. I looked at him wide-eyed.

          “Yah…” I gasped, unsure of what was going on.

          “It’s been two decades since I realized that you were the one for me.” My heart began pounding and all of a sudden, it dawned on me on what he was doing.

          “In those twenty-something years, I realized,” He paused for a moment to walk up to me. He stood there with a foolish smile on his face. But I didn’t mind, I probably had the same expression planted on my face.

          “I realized that I want to be the one that stops you from crying. I want to be the one that can hold you and tell you it’ll be just fine.” He reached into his pocket and looked at me like he was making sure I wasn’t giving him a bad reaction. In his process of kneeling down and mine of holding my hand up against my mouth to keep from sobbing, I noticed something about his suit. It wasn’t anything special; it was white and fit his body just right. What caught my attention was the decoration on his left chest. A sunflower.

          “Kim Kibum, I want you to be husband. Will you please marry me?”