Bed of Roses

Forty Winks

You sighed heavily upon opening your eyes and immediately became aware of the warmth emanating off the arms tightly wrapped around your body. You were greeted by the sound of a heart beating a steady rhythm through the chest you were resting on. Smiling, you slowly climbed up the figure lying beneath you and paused to take in the blissful sight of Kai still snoozing through the afternoon nap you both ended up falling into. 

You took a moment to recall how he showed up earlier that morning, clearly drowsy, to help you move into your new apartment. As soon as he had helped you carry in the last box of your belongings he had led you by the wrist to the disoriented couch sitting awkwardly in the midst of your cluttered living room and pulled you into a snug embrace as he rested his chin upon your head. Before long you had felt his tense muscles relax into the cushions and his breathing even out and grow heavy—he had fallen asleep and soon you ended up following suit.

Now you were hovering a few inches above his face, careful not to disturb him, just to admire his handsome features. You scanned his face over and over, starting at his well-crafted cheekbones then shifting your gaze over to his eyes, down the bridge of his nose, and then finally to his mouth. You lingered over the sight of his pouty lips a while longer before making up your mind to lean down and plant a gentle kiss. Pulling away from his face, you recognized a smile playing on the corners of his mouth.

"So do you always do that when I sleep?" he asked, eyes still shut, with a mischievous tone peeking through his voice.

Flustered, you buried your face back into his chest before responding with a muffled "No. Maybe... no."

You didn't have to look up to know a grin was probably plastered across his face. He seized you before you could move away and further enveloped you within his arms, as if to completely rid himself of any space between the two of you. With your ear pressed firmly against his chest, you could clearly hear the pounding of his heart increasing. He quickly realized this and pulled you slightly away from him. You peered up at his face and noticed it was dressed in a shy expression and you couldn't help the little smirk daring to flash over your face. It was typical of him to exhibit his charismatic image only to have it overshadowed by his coy and quiet demeanor.

"So does your heart always beat this quickly when I'm with you?" you inquired, imitating the feeling of the question he had asked earlier.

He laughed and pulled you back into his embrace as he had done before. "Yes. Definitely... yes." was his response.

You wrapped your arms around Kai and sighed as the two of you drifted back to sleep. He was your own personal bed of roses and being in his arms was an experience that could be compared to heaven—with him, time stood still in an eternal paradise.


Thank you for all your comments/subscriptions! I really appreciate them!
And thanks to you for reading~