Chapter 1

A book of debt after story

 

“Hmm…” I sat on the couch of the Son’s mansion. The request from Chairman Son just turned my life upside down. I’m proud of myself for bringing Dongwoon and Chairman Son together with a bonus point, Dongwoon. I entered into his life unexpectedly, and I love him so much.

Now, I had move in together with them and earned a whole new family to me. They decorated a spare room for me to move in.

“Still reading?” Dongwoon flopped down the couch, beside me. I nodded, still focused on my book.

I tore my eyes away, finally finish reading the last sentence. Then I realized Dongwoon was staring at me quietly, waiting for me to finish.

“Sorry,” I apologized, a little guilty for not bothered about him.

“It’s alright. So, what’s the case this time? Where are we going?”

Ever since Dongwoon entered my life, he had been helping me out with the book of debt. The book of debt was my most treasured possession, returning favors to people who helped my mum. Travelling all over the nation was like a norm to both of us. Sometimes, I do wonder where my mum met all these people in Korea.

“There’s this old couple in New Zealand who came to Korea and stayed at the hotel, where my mum worked as a housekeeper. They helped my mum when she was harassed.” I was nearly in tears when I finish talking. I never heard things like that before from my mum. It made me sad to know how much my mum had to go through, just for me.

Dongwoon my hair softly, a touch of comfort.

“I’m fine, I’m fine,” I wiped off those trapped tears. “So, let me give them a call and ask if they need any help.”

“Sure, I’ll be here,” Dongwoon smiled, winking.

“Right…” I tried to stay calm, walking away to take the phone. Okay, that just killed me inside. I got through the phone with the old couple and they were happy to have me in New Zealand. I agreed, a little excited for a trip overseas. It would be my first ever.

“So, are we going New Zealand?” Dongwoon asked, as I came back into the living room.

“We? Nope, just me,” I smiled back, settling down beside him.

“Only you, alone, in a foreign country?” Dongwoon asked, bizarre at my proposition. “NO WAY!”

“What? Why?” I protested.

“You can’t do anything without me,” Dongwoon smirked proudly. I snorted. “Besides, who is going to pay for the plan tickets?”

 “Aish, I can’t hear a thing and I’m sleeping.” I stood up, heading back into my room. I just lost the ‘war’. So, with that we were off to New Zealand. Yes, we.

“When can you stop smirking?” I asked, annoyed. Dongwoon was smirking the whole time. It took us a day to fly from Seoul to Auckland, New Zealand. Long hours flights were exhausting.

“Never,” Dongwoon smiled. “So, where is the couple living?”

“Here,” I handed a piece of address. We flagged a taxi, and loaded our luggage in. Scenery in New Zealand was simply just amazing. Once we were out of the city, green grass fields covered the land, which stretched miles and miles. Cows, sheep, horses gathered on it, munching on all the grass. Trees and greenery filled the sides of the expressway, making a garden out of it.

“Thank you,” Dongwoon thanked the driver as we got out, facing the country side. The taxi had to drive in to get to destination.

“I love this place.” I looked around, taking in a breath of fresh air.

“Me too,” Dongwoon agreed.

“Oh! Is this Min Young?” An old lady in her sixties came out of the old wooden English house.

“Ah, hello, nice to meet you,” I bowed, used to the greeting in Korea.

“I’m Mrs Dean. It’s nice to meet you too, such a pretty lady,” She introduced herself.

“Thank you,” I smiled. “This is Son Dongwoon.”

“Hello, nice to meet you, I’m Dongwoon.” Dongwoon greeted Mrs Dean kindly.

“Ah, good to see you young man,” She smiled kindly.

“Old man!” She yelled across the field, at her husband.

“Come inside first.”

We three entered into the comfortable house, it was old, but there’s a warm feeling. The house was nicely kept, clean and neat. Everything in the house was handmade – the cushion covers, curtains, decorative dolls.

Sitting down in the cozy house, we got into a deep chat. Mr Dean joined us and treated us to some homemade pies. Enjoying tea and snacks, we conversed, talking about everything. Our chitchat included my mum and my request.

“Well,” Mrs Dean thought hard. “Then, do you mind helping out in our wedding anniversary?”

“Wedding anniversary?” I asked.

“It’s our 40th anniversary this weekend.” Mrs Dean smiled, embarrassed.

“40th?!” I was shocked. They still seemed so loving.

“Yes, we celebrate our wedding anniversary every year. But once in every ten years, we would invite our friends and renew our wedding vows with under their witness.” Mr Dean explained.

“So, it would be like a wedding ceremony?” I smiled at their loveliness.

“Yes, at the church just a few miles away.” Mrs Dean answered.

“Oh my gosh, it would be such a honor! Can I really be the planner?” I was so touched.

“Yes, sure, my dear,” Mrs Dean smiled, nodding.

“Thank you!” I grinned.

It would be a sweet wedding.