Scrapbook

Scrapbook

 

You were browsing through the scrapbook your friends made for you. It was amusing how they were able to get pictures and messages from your family and different group of friends that they didn’t even know. You smiled and started to reminisce how your life came to be this very day.

Spotting a picture taken when you were 7, you laughed silently. You had the typical hair of a 7 year old at that time, full bangs and short hair. Beside you was your best friend, dressed funnily in the same way you are. It was Halloween and you went trick-or-treating together. Both of your parents were so excited so they had to take a picture of both of you.

You started to recall how you became friends in the first place. It was the first day of 1st grade. No one knew each other. Your mom brought you to your classroom and handed you your lunchbox. She patted your head and said she’ll pick you up later. You nervously entered the room. Almost all seats were taken but you spot an empty seat beside a boy who was silently sitting down. He had black hair, thick eyebrows and strong eyes. He scared you a little bit.

Both of you were shy so there was a huge wave of silence for a few minutes until your pencil rolled from the table. It made a sound and both of you almost automatically reached down for it then – bump! The two of you retreated and rubbed your foreheads in synch.

You said sorry while your seatmate reached for the pencil. He handed it to you and said “I’m sorry.” You said it was okay and shyly got the pencil from him. Another wave of silence.

“My name is Kris,” he flashed a smile and brought out his hand. You shook it, smiled back and introduced yourself. And as they say, the rest was history.

*

You flipped the pages and see the transition of your life in school. Class pictures, presentations, dramas, field demonstrations, field trips, all of those in that scrapbook. One thing remained constant though, Kris was always present in almost all the pictures. Groups of friends differ from picture to picture, but Kris was always there beside you with his slight smile. He never really liked smiling that much.

You reached the high school section of the scrapbook. More memories flowed through your mind. You recalled events like it was just yesterday.

The books fell out from your locker when you opened it. You sighed and lazily picked them up. Surprised, you retrieved your hand when it touched somebody else’s hand. You looked up and saw a familiar face. It was your classmate Tao from elective class. He had daunting and slightly slanting eyes and thin lips. You both stood up and he handed you your books. You managed to say a thank you.

“Uhm,” he trailed off. You looked at him expectantly, wondering what he was going to say. “I know this is a bit sudden but,” he played with his thumbs for a bit and looked straightly at you. “Will you go to prom with me?”

You were shocked. You never expected for someone to ask you to prom, and Tao nonetheless. You stayed silent for a while, still recovering from the shock. “You can say no,” he laughed. His lips curved into a slight smile.

You two were pretty close, being partners whenever the teacher asked for a paired seatwork or activity. You talked about the most random things sometimes like food, college or the weather. You thought he was intimidating the first time you saw him but that quickly changed when you saw him smile and laugh. He was actually cute.

Weighing the chances you have, you said “Yes Tao, I will.” He beamed. “We’ll talk more about it during class,” he said. He was still smiling when he said “See you!” and his heels. You gave out a small wave. You felt your cheeks getting warmer when you turned back to your locker. You didn’t really like him like him, but it was still a nice feeling getting asked out to prom. You glanced at your watch and realized you were late for your meeting.

*

There was your prom picture with Tao. The pose was pretty awkward with his hands on your waist and yours on his shoulders. You enjoyed prom though. Tao was a real gentleman and there was never a dull moment with him.

You remembered how he picked you up from your house. Your mother can never forget how he said “Don’t worry, I’ll protect her. I know martial arts.” And so he demonstrated, at your house, in your living room and he ripped his pants. Good thing your mother knew how to sew and quickly sewed his pants while you laughed hysterically at one corner while he stayed in the bathroom to hide.

It was a night to remember. You had so much fun with the good food, some dancing and friends. Kris took one of your classmates as a date. You see your group picture, you beside Tao and Kris beside your classmate Krystal. You all had such bright smiles, once again except for Kris.

There was one thing that you can never forget. It was after prom and Tao had brought you home. You were both standing at your doorstep. “I had a really fun night,” you said smiling. “Me too. Thank you for going with me,” he replied. “I guess I’d better go,” you said to break the silence. “Good night.” He called out your name. You looked up and didn’t realize that he was getting too close because everything happened too fast. Tao leaned in and planted a soft kiss on your lips. You were still too shocked to react when he pulled away. “Good night,” he said and smiled.

Nothing really happened between you two after that night. You both tried to make something work out but eventually Tao became too busy with his martial arts to be concerned with anything else. You understood because he was passionate about his craft and you were busy with your writing as well. Kris even teased you about it. “You two should’ve been a couple already.” “What about you and Krystal?” you asked. He just mumbled in response.

*

You read an article you wrote for your school paper. You laughed at your writing style before and thought how it was so high school. You were thankful for all what you learned during your years as a writer for the school paper, especially to your editor-in-chief who was almost like your brother.

Next to the article was a picture with your editor-in-chief during the turn over ceremony. There you were, standing next to a tall guy with a really bright smile, turning his eyes into crescents. He chose you to be the next editor-in-chief for next year. You were ecstatic and nervous at the same time. When he graduated, he told you to contact him whenever you needed help.

During senior year, you had chat sessions with him almost everyday because you kept asking questions. At one point he said to you, “One day, I’ll surprise you at school and prove that you are doing well with the school paper and you are worrying too much.”

And so he did. When you were conducting a meeting with the staff, there was a knock on the door. Suddenly he entered, and everyone in the room stood up and greeted him. You introduced him to your staff. “If you guys don’t know yet, he is Suho, our former editor-in-chief.” They greeted him again and sat down. You carried on with the meeting with Suho observing at the back of the room. You became more nervous but the meeting went on successfully.

The meeting was over and you and Suho were the only ones left in your room. He went up to you and said “I told you that you are doing fine.” His smile was everything good in the world. “Thanks,” you said, feeling accomplished.

*

Another picture taken from your senior year was another picture with Kris. He was holding a gold trophy because they won the district basketball tournament. As a proud best friend, you just had to take a picture with him.

During the congratulatory party that same night at his house, he took you to the balcony, overlooking their garden. It was a beautiful sight with the full moon shining up above, a few stars twinkling about and the flowers’ smell drifted along with the wind.

You asked him what was up, taking you up there so suddenly. He said it was nothing; he just wanted to talk to you privately. You commented at how beautiful the scenery was and he just nodded in agreement. He suddenly added “But you are more beautiful.” You were surprised and stared at him for a while, waiting to explain himself. “You always have been.” He didn’t look at you in the eyes. He stared at the floor and said “You know I always cared for you.”

You approached him and said “And I have always cared for you too. That’s what best friends do, right?” He shook his head and smiled. “I have always loved you, as a best friend and beyond that.” You can hear your heart beat faster. “You have not noticed, but I never gave up.” He looked at the moon. “I even played the championship for you.” Your heart felt like it was going to burst.

“Kris…” you faintly said. He turned to you and said “I know it’s all too fast and you don’t like being rushed.” He took your hand. “But I’ll wait for your answer no matter how long it takes.”

*

There was a blank page at the end of the scrapbook. You twisted the cap off the glue stick and added glue at the back of a picture. You stuck the picture at that blank page and secured it.

The couch suddenly sagged on your left side. “What’s that?” He said and looked over your shoulder. He was trying to get a glimpse of the picture you just added to the scrapbook.

“Our wedding picture,” you replied. You turned your head and kissed him on the cheek. He started to wrap his arms around your waist and gave you a back hug. You snuggled deeper into his embrace and said “I love you Kris.”

“I love you more.”