Life and Death

Life and Death

 

--

 

Baekhyun.

That was the name God decided to call life. He created life, along with death whom he called as Tao.

They were good friends. Best of friends.

When they're young, they didn't know anything. They played in heaven happily, Baekhyun and Tao, life and death. They slowly fell for each other without even noticing it. Blushing everytime their eyes meet, heart beating so fast when their skin touched each other coincidentally.

As they grow up, God told them to start doing their jobs. Baekhyun stays everywhere while Tao stays in one dark place. They're far from each other yet close as before. Because life never stays far from death. But unfortunately they can't meet each other often, and every single free time they had was brushing their lips together and whispering a simple, 'I miss you'.

One time, Baekhyun came curious. He sees a lot of them celebrating newborns but crying over funerals. Humans are weird, he thought. He asked the God, but God said he should find out by himself. Baekhyun spent years of searching the answer but got nothing.

The time Tao met him accidentally when there's both death and life in the same place, Baekhyun didn't waste his time and quickly asked Tao.

 

"Why do people love me but hate you?"

 

Tao eyed him knowingly. "We haven't meet for ages and that's the first thing you really want to know?"

Baekhyun rolled his eyes, "I've been searching for years and I promise I'll smack you on your face if you told me you don't know."

"What if I said I don't know?"

"Like I've said--"

"We're made together, live together, and maybe soon disappear together," Tao cut him, not knowing if he should use the word 'born' and 'death' in his sentence or not. "Why would you think I know the answer?"

"Because you're smarter?"

Tao's laugh exploded, "since when I'm smarter than you?"

"Ever since God made us!"

"Fine, I know the answer. But this is the answer I found out myself."

"See? You're smarter."

"I don't think you'll agree with my statement."

"Just say it already."

 

Tao took a deep breath, eyeing his partner.

 

"As you see, humans are selfish. They're the ugliest thing that exist in the world."

"Are you trying to say the answer or telling me your hatred towards human?"

"Listen," Tao rolled his eyes. "This is why they love you. You're their everything. You gave them everything that makes them happy while me," he stopped to cough, "is taking back everything you gave them."

"I don't even know that. They shouldn't be hating you. I can give them again that 'everything' you took."

"That's the point."

"What?"

"That 'everything' I've taken will never be back again. Even you're the one who's giving it back. You're just making another."

"But why--"

"You start things, I end things. That's how we work."

"God never told me this."

Tao shrugged, "God wants us to find it out ourselves. Now let's get back to work."

"But I'm confused."

"Confused of what?"

Baekhyun sat down on the chair beside him, "Me is horrible. I'm not as good as you. I mean, not everybody's living a good me."

"But at least, they're still breathing. When it came to me, it means an end."

"You're way peaceful for them who's suffering because of me."

"Look, you're not that bad. Humans love you."

"God says that I'm just a place for humans to stay for a while before coming back to him. Which came as you, the final destination."

"Coming to me means pain, Baekhyun."

"Myself is a pain too. I'm just a fake happiness. Lie." He said, slowly discovering his true self.

"You're not. Well, it might be true, but--"

"Then let me ask once more," he said, looking straight to the death's eyes. "Why do people love me but hate you?"

Tao bit his lower lip, not sure of answering the question. But he should tell him.

"Tao?"

"Because you're a beautiful lie, and I'm a painful truth."

 

Silence.

 

"I didn't mean to--"

"I know."

"Eh?"

"But being a lie is not what I expected myself to be."

"Well, it's the God's decision. Being a truth is not worth at all, except you're being a painless truth."

Baekhyun let out a heavy sigh.

"Hey, cheer up. I don't want to see you like this." Tao kneeled in front of his lover. Hands squeezing tight the other's.

"I'm just a little bit upset."

"That came to me when I discovered myself too."

He chuckled sadly. "Let's get back to work?"

"Can't we stay like this for a while?" Tao rested his head on Baekhyun's tights; sitting down the cold floor. "I miss you so much."

"I miss you too." Baekhyun played with Tao's raven black hair. "I just hope we can stay like this forever."

"But that won't be possible." Tao sighed, "We both got our own jobs and we're very different."

"I know. I hope I was made as a human." He said, not knowing that he should've used 'born' instead of made.

The black chuckled, "That means, you're living yourself."

"Yeap. And ended as you."

"That'd be very nice."

"Because we're going to be together."

"Forever."

 

God watches the two skipping their jobs. He didn't mind a day without life and death. It'd be giving him a rest as well. But the plan in his head saying the opposite. Life and death will never be the same if they fell for each other. Because one day, death will be the only one left.

 

"We have to work. I feel him starting to warn us." Tao said.

"Yeah, I felt that too." Baekhyun stood up, helping Tao as well. They stared at each other lovingly before letting themselves fell for a long passionate kiss.

"I love you." Tao breathed.

"I love you more." Baekhyun replied. Tao pecked his lips one more before disappearing in dust.

 

Dying.

 

"The end of the world?" Tao raised an eyebrow.

"Yes. And that will be your biggest job. Because you will be everywhere."

"How about--"

"And you have to stop Baekhyun."

"What do you mean?"

"Kill him."

 

Farewell.

 

Tao didn't feel like doing his job. He sat down the roof of a high building. He closed his eyes, feeling the surrounding.

The end of the world,he told himself. He never thought such thing exist. But what God says is what God said. Nothing can change it. Even death himself. He swept his eyes around; the world's destroying himself. Disaster all over the earth. Earthquakes, fire, floods, storms.

You got three hours,God whispered. Tao sighed deeply. Should he do this? He should. But, can he do this?

The answer is always no.

 

"Tao?" A pure voice appeared, waking the death up from his gloomy mind. He quickly framed a smile.

"Baekhyun." He called and the life bumped onto him. "I miss you."

"I miss you," Baekhyun replied, planting kisses on the other's face lovingly. "So much."

"What's wrong with you? You looked sick." Tao cupped Baekhyun's cheeks with his palms, thumbs softly brushing the mark of tears. "You cried?"

Baekhyun shook his head, "It's okay. Everything's okay."

"You're not okay. Tell me."

"...." He hesitated. Tao held him to his lap, "I'm losing my power. I can't give humans that 'everything' anymore."

"What? Why's that?"

"I don't know, but as you see, you're everywhere now. While I'm staying at one place waiting until I completely lost my power." Baekhyun breathed, "And soon disappear."

"No, don't say that. You're not going to disappear. If yes, then I'm coming with you."

Baekhyun shook his head, "You've said this."

"Said what?"

"Coming to you means an end. When I came to you, I wish I could ended up as you."

"Baek--"

"Life's just a lie." He whispered, slowly leaning down onto Tao's chest.

"A beautiful lie."

"Still." Life chuckled weakly. "Let me be a truth once."

"Hey, don't say that." Tao stared at his pale lover. "I still want to spend a lot of time with you. Just like humans did."

"But we got no time." Baekhyun stated. "Do it now. We can't wait any longer. It's the God's decision." He choked, gasping some air to breathe.

"You knew it?"

"Long ago."

Tao's eyes flooded in tears. For the first time. He's the death. He doesn't breathe, he doesn't cry, he doesn't do anything like Baekhyun does. But for the first time, he felt life. He felt Baekhyun.

"I'm sorry for not telling you," Baekhyun said, tears flowing on his cheeks.

"It's okay. I promise we'll meet again someday." Tao sobbed, kissing Baekhyun lovingly. Slowly, letting the time passes slowly.

"I promise."

 

Fading.

 

"Thanks for your hard work, Tao."

God congratulated him. Death bowed in respect. "What am I going to do for now?" He said nervously. Will he be with his lover now?

"We'll restart the living."

"Eh?"

"Say hi again to life."

 

Tao turned just to find his long lost lover standing few meters behind. He ran and hugged Baekhyun. Who's being reborn once again.

"I love you. I'll never let you go again."

Baekhyun smiled in tears, "I love you too. And I'll never leave your side again."

They kissed each other softly until God coughed. "Mind your works, please." God chuckled and both of them flushed in embarrassment.

 

"Together?" Tao held Baekhyun's hand.

Baekhyun nodded. "Forever."

 

 

--

 

Life and Death

4/7/2012