Drummer Boy, Minhwan Went Missing

Protection From An Angel

 

Protection From An Angel

 

[Chapter 3]

 

“Hey Minhwan,” Jonghun waved from far away, “Since you have class duty to do I’ll be heading home first.”

 

“Alright, hyung.” The boy called back. Minhwan swept the class floor together with three of his classmates who were also on duty that day. “Minhwan,” one of his friends called, “you seem very close to that senior of yours.” Minhwan giggled and replied, “Yeah. He’s really a nice person, taking care of me for such a long time already.” Another one of his friends joined their conversation as well, “You’re so lucky to have a senior like him!” Minhwan kept quiet and smiled. Of course, he thought, I’m very grateful to have Jonghun-hyung by my side.

 

When the class looked clean enough and presentable, Minhwan took his bag and left the school compound. To some point of his usual route, Minhwan had no choice but to turn in into a street quite dark and secluded. While he wasn’t very aware of his surroundings, his bag was suddenly grabbed from the back, making him stumble onto a stack of empty boxes nearby, his back lying on the hard floor. He shifted his fringe to get a look of his attacker. To his surprise, it was the same group that threatened him a couple of days ago. “It’s you again!”

 

“Brat,” the leader bent his body and grabbed Minhwan by his collar, “I told you to tell that Jonghun idiot to quit the competition, didn’t I?!” He released Minhwan’s collar and sent a punch to the drummer’s jaw. Minhwan tried fighting back but another person kicked his middle region to avoid him from standing up. Minhwan covered his stomach protectively. “Tell you what, brat,” the leader said, “You better ask him to quit. Or I won’t let you off so easily the next time.” But before he had a chance to speak, the group of five students landed blow after blow on the poor boy, creating dark bruises and scratches on Minhwan’s body. He didn’t know how long did this abuse lasted, but when he opened his eyes again, he was sitting down, leaning against the hard wall of bricks.

 

“Are you alright now?”

 

Minhwan heard someone talking to him, he turned his head to his side and saw one of Jonghun’s friends. “You’re Hongki-hyung, right?”

 

“Yeah,” the older boy replied, “I saw you lying here unconscious, so I came to see what happened to you. Are you alright?” He repeated his question.

 

“Yes, I feel better now,” Minhwan replied. He looked at his wounds. Apparently Hongki cleaned up Minhwan’s dirt and blood while he was unconscious. “Thank you Hongki-hyung, for helping me.” He looked at his watch, “I think I should go home now, Jonghun-hyung will be worried about me.”

 

Hongki helped Minhwan to stand up. “There you go,” Hongki handed Minhwan his bag, “What exactly happened to you?” Hongki asked, concerned. Minhwan shrugged and answered, “Just fighting with some gangsters.” Minhwan smiled and bowed politely, “Thank you again.”

 

Hongki still felt uneasy, so he offered, “Do you need me to accompany you home?”

 

Minhwan however, declined politely, “It’s alright!” He turned to leave, “Thanks and all the best for your solo performance!” He didn’t wait for Hongki’s reply, instead he ran as fast as he could back to his home. All Hongki managed was to stare back. He sure doesn’t seem like a guy who picks up fights with other people to me…

 

When Minhwan finally reached home, he unlocked the door just to find Jonghun sitting down on the sofa waiting for him. “Why are you so late today?” Jonghun snapped. However, his expressions changed when he saw the bruises on Minhwan’s face. “Minhwan,” his tone concerned and gentle, “what happened to you?” Slowly, he approached his friend. Minhwan tried avoinding Jonghun from touching his wounds.

 

“Nahh, hyung,” Minhwan jerked away from Jonghun’s hands, “I fell down on the way home.”

 

Jonghun looked as if he did not even believe one of Minhwan’s words. Minhwan tried again.

 

“I fell down, a-and rolled on the floor. Uhm, I knocked onto the pole too. That’s how I got this blue-black spot here,” he said, pointing at his jaw, “And some scratches on my arm,” he showed Jonghun his right arm. Jonghun held Minhwan’s arm, inspecting closely. “But how come it looks more like it’s been scratched purposely?” The elder inquired.

 

“N-No, it’s not,” Minhwan pulled his arm away. Then he smiled, trying to change the topic, “Since I fell down today, tonight’s dinner…” he winked.

 

Jonghun sighed, “Fine. I’ll cook.”

 

“I want chicken, please!”

 

“Why do you like chicken so much?”

 

“Because,” Minhwan did his aegyo act, “chicken is the best!”

 

Jonghun felt his heart stopped beating at that moment. Oh my god. His eyes captured all of the cuteness of Minhwan. I need to leave this place for a while.

 

“W-Well then, Minhwan, I’ll marinate the chicken first.” He left the sofa almost immediately. But then his steps slowed down. He turned and glanced over Minhwan. That innocent boy found the remote control and switched on a channel. He’s definitely lying about falling down on the streets. That’s the most ridiculous answer ever. He must have learnt it from some drama. What is he hiding? I’ll find out. For now, he decided to let the matter drop, since Minhwan seemed reluctant to talk about it.


 

*Ring!*

 

The last bell rang signifying another day has ended in school. Minhwan packed his books into his bag and headed towards the school main gate. Jonghun was already there, waiting for Minhwan to go home together. “Hyung~!” Minhwan ran towards Jonghun, “Sorry to keep you waiting!”

 

Jonghun gave Minhwan one of his killer smiles and said, “It’s alright. I-”

 

“Hey, Jonghun!” Hongki called from far, “Your Chemistry teacher wants to see you!”

 

Jonghun turned to Minhwan. “Sorry, Minhwan. Looks like you’ll have to go home first.”

 

Minhwan seemed tensed all of a sudden, “How about I wait for you here? I don’t mind-”

 

“It’s alright, you can go home first, I’ll come soon enough.” Jonghun stated.

 

Minhwan seemed reluctant, but he agreed anyway. Jonghun thanked Hongki and went to look for his teacher. Damn! My plan is ruined! I need to trail Minhwan to see what exactly’s happening to him since he’s always acting weird when I wasn’t walking home with him, but now… Jonghun cursed silently. Why now, why now?! I hope Minhwan’s alright alone.

 

When he reached his teacher’s room, Jonghun knocked politely before he enter.

 

“Ah, Jonghun.” His teacher greeted him. Jonghun tensed up when he realized his teacher was wearing a stern expression. However, he felt as if his head would have exploded on the spot when his teacher’s expression suddenly changed into a gleeful one. “Well done, Jonghun! You scored full marks for Chemistry again! I’m so proud of you, my boy!” Oh my God. He called me just to tell me I scored full marks? And now I can’t trail Minhwan anymore!

 

Jonghun ran frantically searching for Minhwan, following their usual route. When he reached the darker side of the street, his feet accidentally kicked an object. He bent down and picked it up, his eyes filled with horror. Oh my God. Minhwan’s watch.


 

TBC

 

A/N: I was watching You're Beautiful (again), and while thinking of Jeremy's cuteness, I added Hongki here. :D Hope your new year was fun! ^^