Final

Of Promises And Autumn Leaves

OFFICIAL SOUNDTRACK: CLICK

Hello :) Before you start reading, do note that this was originally called "Through All Seasons" but I thought it was terrible-sounding so I changed it >w>

Hahaha my inspiration for the new title comes from my beloved TiaraL unnie >:) Mianhae! ;D

 

 

 

 

Spring.

Seunghyun trudges grudgingly through the rustling flower stalks, the mischievous wind messing his hair. The sweet scent of the early spring air contrasts starkly with his foul mood as the morning's scene replays in his mind.

 

[FLASHBACK]

"Seunghyun."

Silence.

Seunghyun continues to chew on his bread without looking once in his mother's direction.

"Seunghyun?"

"..."

"Song Seunghyun, look at me now or I'll rip your head off!" She threatens.

, he thinks.

"What?"

"Your dad's coming home tonight."

He leans back in his chair and snorts. "So the bastard's finally coming back. Why should I care?"

"Why don't you just get out of my house! I don't want to be your ing mother anymore!" His mother starts screaming out of nowhere, flinging things from the table at him while all Seunghyun does is eye her with disdain.

What right does she have to do this ? He questions himself bitterly. Since young, she's never given a about me. If I've done something well, it's her credit. If I've failed, it's my fault and she has nothing to do with it. I've always had to depend on myself - does she even have the face for me to address her as mom?

And don't even ing get me started on my dad. I haven't seen him, not even once since I was born. He's always out there somewhere - somewhere - banging s but never once at home.

" woman," he hisses and stalks out of the door, slamming it loudly after him.

[END OF FLASHBACK]

 

"Yoww!"

Seunghyun's eyes widen in shock when he realises that he's now standing right in front of an annoyed little girl who's crossing her arms.

, did I kick her or something?

He bends over to look at her face-to-face. She's adorable, with huge doe-like eyes and sparkling cheeks. He can already find the sides of his lips curling up into a smile just by looking at her.

"Are you okay, little girl?"

She sniffles sadly at the gravel beneath their feet. "No."

Amused, Seunghyun his head to the side and stifles a laugh when the girl does so too; only with her puppy eyes thrown into the mix.

"Well, what is it?"

"I wanted a balloon -" She gestures behind him, where he turns and sees a beaming guy giving out pretty, colourful balloons "- and you bumped into me!"

Her innocent face makes Seunghyun think back wistfully of the times when he used to be like that too.

So happy … over a balloon.

"Come on." He props her up on both his shoulders, holds on to both her legs and walks over to the man. "Let's go get you one."

The man looks rather surprised to see this unusual pairing demand for a balloon, but his confused look soon turns into one of approval when Seunghyun takes the rosy pink balloon and passes it to the delighted little girl. While she runs around and tugs the balloon behind her; giggling as she watches it bob in the air, he notices the look in Seunghyun's eyes. It's unreadable, but there's definitely a lot on his mind right now.

He holds out another balloon to the latter and chuckles slightly when he's rewarded with a confused expression.

"You look like you need one."

There is a pause, and Seunghyun reaches out slowly to grab its string with a grateful smile.

"Thank you."

 

 

******

 

 

Summer.

Jaejin moves through the throng of people in the café, mumbling incessantly to himself as he glares at the idiots who cut through the queue. It's terribly difficult to balance a tray with over 6 plates of cakes, not to mention in a crowded room where rude people jostle for a stupid cup of coffee.

"17, 17 …" He mutters while scanning the tables for the number 17. Finally, his gaze lands upon a solo table in the corner of the café where a  guy is seated, facing the scenery through a window.

He shoves through more customers as he desperately tries not to knock down any of the orders. If he has to pay for any of these cakes, he will freak.

"Mister." He taps the guy on his shoulder timidly and places the cake on the table. "Your chocolate mousse is here."

There is no response as the latter continues facing the window with a blank gaze. While his side profile is indeed admirable, he doesn't seem to have that usual aura of happiness surrounding him. Instead, loneliness fills its place.

"Mister!" His tone is now a notch higher and the man finally turns around to face him. When their eyes meet, both of them get a shock.

"It's you?"

 

-

 

It's already 7pm in the evening. Wiping the beads of perspiration off his forehead, Jaejin slides his timecard into the clock and exits the café.

"Hey." Just then, someone grabs his arm and he spins around to face the man whom he'd bumped into before.

He raises his eyebrows and tilts his head to the side, accidentally reminding Seunghyun of the little girl. Unconsciously, Seunghyun's face spreads into a wide smile which Jaejin thinks is meant for him.

"Yes?" He says bluntly. "Please let go of my arm."

The latter immediately realises what he's done and releases his grip, backing away slightly. "I'm sorry."

"It's alright," Jaejin returns. "What is it?"

"Are … are you the one who gave me the balloon?"

"What balloon?"

Seunghyun's face falls. "Don't you remember -"

Oh, that balloon.

"I'm sorry." It's now Jaejin's turn to apologise as he scratches the back of his neck bashfully. "My memory fails me at times." Especially with the number of odd jobs I handle, he mentally adds.

The smile returns and Seunghyun gives the exact same reply. "It's alright. I'd just like to thank you for giving me that balloon before."

Jaejin flashes him a warm grin and shrugs. "You're welcome. I figured you needed it."

"I was at my lowest then and you really made me feel better," the other admits. "Thanks."

He lets out a cheerful, tinkly laugh. "I already said it's fine." After pondering for a while more, he looks back up. "If you ever need someone to talk to, you can look for me."

Seunghyun tilts his head. "Does that mean ... we're friends now?"

"I suppose so."

A huge beam crosses Seunghyun's face as he extends his hand.

"I'm Song Seunghyun!"

"Lee Jaejin."

On a shimmery summer's evening, the start of a beautiful friendship was born.

 

 

******

 

 

Fall.

2 months have passed since Jaejin and Seunghyun first became friends. In this short period, they've learnt much more about each other. Jaejin knows all about Seunghyun - what makes him upset, what makes him smile, and his family background.

Seunghyun knows all about Jaejin as well ... or so he thinks.

 

-

 

They walk on the stone pavement while hearing the crunch of autumn leaves everywhere. Seunghyun turns to face his friend, pointing to a chirping bird.

"Isn't it cool?" He squeals excitedly as if he's found long lost treasure and Jaejin can't help but laugh.

"Yeah, I guess."

In many ways, gaining Jaejin's friendship has changed Seunghyun. The guy who used to scowl whenever he saw children playing happily now joins in to play with them. The guy who used to grumble over every single detail in life that didn't go the way he wanted now looks on the bright side of things. Most importantly, the guy with that cold and sullen exterior has now become someone warm, approachable and friendly.

They walk on in comfortable silence while holding onto each other's hand. Suddenly, Seunghyun breaks the silence.

"I'll come to your house today, okay?"

Jaejin's taken by surprise. His eyes widen and he starts to shake his head while breaking away from Seunghyun's grip. "N-No. I'll be busy."

"Busy?" Seunghyun raises an eyebrow. "It's fall! We get breaks. You don't even have to work!"

"That's you," Jaejin snaps. "You don't have to. I need to. I need the money."

"Hey, look, I can always lend you some -"

Look how pathetic you are now, Lee Jaejin, his inner self mocks unkindly. You even need your best friend to lend you money. Tch. How low are you? Don't you feel ashamed?

"," Jaejin mutters and Seunghyun's eyes widen in shock. "I said I'm not free, okay? Why don't you just - just hang out with someone else!"

Someone better than me.

He turns, quickens his footsteps and walks away from a stunned and confused Seunghyun.

In the distance, the wind stirs leaves into the air before they flutter back to the ground.

 

-

 

I'm not free, okay?

Why don't you just - just hang out with someone else?

Seunghyun buries the hurt he felt deep inside and continues trudging down the path, alone this time.

Does Jaejin already have a new friend? Does he not want him as a friend anymore?

Seunghyun doesn't know when he's gotten this possessive. His vision begins to swim before blurring together. He clutches at his now spinning head with both hands and fights the urge to faint right there and then.

What's happening to me?

Just when he's about to fall backwards, a pair of strong arms grab him from the back and holds him tightly. All he can do is to close his eyes as someone carries him away.

 

-

 

He wakes up to find himself in Jaejin's rundown house. He stares blankly at the older's back with confused eyes, wondering why he returned. Did he see him from afar? Did he come back specially for him? He begins to feel hopeful.

"Jaejinnie?"

"Shhh," the latter mumbles as he stirs something in a cup. "You have a headache, don't you?"

Seunghyun's lips curl up into an amused smile. "Yeah, but it doesn't mean I can't speak."

There is no reply. Jaejin turns around and walks towards him with the cup in hand, kneeling down. He pushes the cup nearer. "There. Drink up."

"Smells terrible."

He tries, rather unsuccessfully, to muffle his laugh. "You're free to skip it if you want to faint again."

Wrinkling his nose, Seunghyun takes a sip of the warm medicine. The taste is sour and unappealing to his tastebuds but he downs it all the same. Somehow, knowing Jaejin is there with him makes it all okay.

As he hands the cup back to be washed, he notices the tiny but visible scars on Jaejin's wrist. Seunghyun grabs his hand closer and demands for an explanation.

"Where did you get this?"

"I-I scalded myself," the latter stutters back, his tone wobbly with fear. The scars are obviously not from burns - it's a blatant lie. What Seunghyun doesn’t know is; why is he lying?

"Is something wrong?"

"No ... stop it or I'll get mad."

Fear begins to grip him by its icy fingers and he starts to feels insecure.

"You won't ever leave me, will you?"

Jaejin sighs as he shifts his gaze back to his friend and manages a quick smile, though appearing rather solemn and weak. "I won't."

"Promise?"

"I promise."

 

-

 

Alone in the silence of his room, Jaejin traces the blade of the knife across his fragile-looking wrist, not wanting to do it just yet. He thinks back to when Seunghyun found out about the scars and a pained expression crosses his face.

What was I supposed to do? He questions bitterly. Confess that the person who’s advised him to cherish the moments in life, to treasure everything he has now, is a ing cutter who takes drugs?

Having no answer, he slowly slices the first layer off his wrist. It hurts - not as much as the pain he's experienced before though. The numbness seeps in and there is a vague feeling of the world closing up before his eyes.

There is a soft knock on the door.

"Jaejin?"

He tries to reply, to assure Seunghyun that everything is alright; but he can't.

"Jaejin!" Seunghyun's voice rises a notch higher. "You've been in there for an awfully long time. What's happening?"

Again, there is no response. Outside, Seunghyun is pacing to and fro with panic. He knows that he might be overreacting and that Jaejin might just be sleeping, but he can't shrug off this feeling he has in the pit of his stomach right now.

Finally, he barges in and sees his friend lying on the bed, unconscious.

Bleeding.

A blade tightly clenched in one fist and a packet of pills in the other.

 

 

******

 

 

Winter.

"Seunghyun-ah ... you need to get some sleep."

"I'm fine."

"You've stayed by him 24/7 for the past 3 weeks. Go home. Get some sleep."

"I'm really fine." Seunghyun places all emphasis on the term 'really' as he watches the sleeping Jaejin.

The nurse gives a soft sigh. She grabs the tray of medicine and syringes, looks at Seunghyun one last time and exits the room, murmuring something about drug overdose and how many youngsters die from it every year while Seunghyun clenches his fist and wishes she would just shut the up.

"Do you still remember?" He whispers quietly to no one in particular. "I asked you if you would ever leave me. You said no. You promised. You promised. You can't just break it like that."

Despite his shaky self-convincing, Seunghyun knows that there might never be a chance of Jaejin waking up again. Right now, all he wants to see is that familiar smile. That smile, telling him everything will be alright; everything will be okay.

Because it's not okay.

More blinking back of tears. He swipes his hand across his face sloppily in an attempt to dry his stained cheeks.

"I love you."

 

-

 

The doctor enters the room. Still half-asleep, Seunghyun stirs awake and rubs his eyes.

"He has been in a coma for more than 3 weeks already... If he doesn't wake up in the next week, I'm going to have to take him off life support ..."

He jolts upwards upon hearing the doctor's murmurs, now fully awake and turns around to stare at him. "What did you say?"

"I'm going to have to take him off life support." Unfazed by the stare, the latter repeats his sentence determinedly.

Seunghyun stands up and knocks his chair over, eyes never leaving the doctor's gaze. "You are not going to ing take him off life support until I say so."

"It's the best solution. The patient has been in a coma for a long time; he's not going to wake up."

He's not going to wake up.

Not going to wake up.

Seunghyun feels his burning cheeks, his fingers wet with tears. He shakes his head in disbelief and refuses to let anything that - that monster says sink in. As far as he knows, Jaejin will wake up. He will.

"I'm not going to give up," he hisses. "As long as there's a chance, I won't give up."

With that, he stalks out of the room and slams the door shut.

 

-

 

Midnight.

Seunghyun arranges the blanket over Jaejin, wondering when those fervent prayers and cries of his will finally come true. That flicker of faith in his heart is slowly dying down, but he refuses to lose hope all the same.

He wraps Jaejin's fragile hand in his own and smiles bitterly.

"Sometimes, I wish everything would just go back to normal. You and I, never having met. You wouldn't be in this state then," is all he manages to choke out.

Just then, something happens.

His eyes widen in disbelief.

Jaejin's fingers twitch.

"Doctor, doctor," Seunghyun yells across the emptiness of the room to no one in particular. His voice begins rising and he starts to scream. "Doctor!"

The doctor comes running in within minutes. He spreads a white curtain around the bed, telling Seunghyun to leave first. The nurse gently pushes him out and tells him everything will be okay, but all that's running in his mind right now is that Jaejin might wake up. Jaejin was going to wake up. Jaejin would wake up.

Outside, he presses his face on the steamy glass and tries to get a better view of whatever the doctor is doing to his friend. The view isn't clear, but he can make out the vague expressions of sympathy and panic on the faces of the staff.

Seunghyun covers his face with both hands and tells himself to shut up and stop hyperventilating. What he can do now is to wait patiently for the news, and hope that everything turns out favourable.

 

-

 

Two hours pass.

Both the doctor and the nurse exit the room, avoiding Seunghyun's gaze as he rushes towards them. Seunghyun knows that it is a sign, a sign of something untoward - he refuses, however, to acknowledge anything before there is further clarification.

"H-How is he?" His tone is wobbly.

They lower their eyes and Seunghyun's heart sinks.

"We tried our best."

The world is a blur right now; heat builds up in every part of his body and tears are clouding his vision. He inhales sharply and pushes past them in a half-hearted attempt to convince himself that Jaejin isn't dead, that Jaejin is still alive and what they're doing now is simply lying to him.

When he finally gathers the courage to swallow his tears and walk towards the bed that is now covered in white sheets, he stares at the boy he's loved and treasured for the past few months. Every single detail of their memories together flash in his mind and he lets out a strangled sob.

Jaejin looks at peace; the sweet smile that has never failed to charm Seunghyun is still on his face.

"You promised -"

He was greeted with silence.

"You promised you wouldn't leave me -"

"..."

"But you lied."

Slowly, Seunghyun leans down to brush his lips across Jaejin's icy ones. With one last lingering glance at his best friend, the door closes shut and all is still.

Goodbye.

 

 

 

 

This is it, I guess ...

The end of my very first oneshot :')

If all of you want to know what prompt I used, it's this one:

 

My two hands that you held and our promise; how could you leave throwing me away and breaking it?

 

Thanks to everyone who subscribed and supported me <3 I know this wasn't much of a tearjerker, but I tried, and I'm pretty much satisfied with that.

Again, I hope you enjoyed this.

Signing off,

--iuVanilleau