Hearts' Day Confession

Hearts' Day Confession (A RiRin One Shot Story)

[Seung Ri’s POV]

 

“Hey y,” I whispered at Chae Rin when she passed by me.

 

She stopped and turned around.  Her beautiful, long blonde hair followed her movement.  She then took off her shades.  Ah, those eyes that I have been waiting to see all day long.

 

She gave me a deadly stare.  I just love it when she does that.  I flashed my smile at her but she didn’t have any reaction.  She remained poker faced.

 

“Shut up.”

 

And just like that, she wore her shades again and continued to walk.

 

“Tsk tsk tsk… Do you always tease Chae Rin like that?” Ji Yong-hyung asked me.

 

“Yeah. Every day,” I answered, still staring at the girl who caught my attention, or rather, the only girl who caught my attention.

 

Lee Chae Rin.  Such a fierce woman.  She’s my complete opposite.  She’s too serious and silent while I’m too playful and talkative.

 

I think I’m taking into consideration the phrase, “opposites attract”.  Because I am attracted to her, and I like her.

 

I just hope she likes me, too, so that we can give justice to the famous line.

 

“Do you like her?” Ji Yong-hyung asked me again.

 

I turned to him. I nodded and smiled. “Yeah, very much.”

 

“You mean, you like teasing her or you like ‘like’ her?”

 

“I like her, hyung.  I really do.” I said honestly.

 

“But why do you make fun of her if you really like her?  I mean, like yesterday.  She nearly scratched your face when you told her she looks like a fly when she’s wearing those big, dark sunglasses of hers.”

 

I chuckled when I remembered that moment.  I never really want to make fun of her.  Let’s say, it’s just a cover.  No one really knows what happens to me every time I see her.

 

Just a sight of her makes my heart beats faster than normal.

 

I shrugged my shoulders.  “I like Chae Rin.  I also like it when she’s mad at me.”  Because she looks so pretty when she’s mad. I wanted to add.

 

I patted Ji Yong-hyung’s shoulder.  “Come on, I want to tease Chae Rin again,” I said while grinning.

 

--------

[Chae Rin’s POV]

 

Omo!  Why does he have to be there! Aish!  I need to pass by him?! Huuuu~ Calm down, Chae Rin. Stay poker faced.  Don’t mind him!

 

I wore my shades first before walking.  Good thing my sunglasses are dark.  No one can see where I was really looking.

 

As I came closer to where he is standing, my heart is pounding wildly at my chest.  I can almost hear it.  I just wish he can’t.

 

“Hey y,” he whispered to me when I passed by him.  And I’m telling you, my heart rate is so above normal right now!

 

I stopped, readied my poker face cover and turned around.  I think I just died.  Seung Ri is just so handsome and cute at the same time!  I took off my shades, so I can get a better view of him. Aaah, much better.  But I gave him a deadly stare.  I need to.  He flashed his boyish smile and my system went haywire.  Still, I remained emotionless.  The very opposite of what I really feel right now.

 

“Shut up,” I said coldly and wore my shades again and walked out.

 

After five steps, I exhaled.  Wow, I never realized that I was holding my breath there.

 

*sigh* I never wanted to give him a cold treatment.  It’s just that, I don’t want him to know what I feel whenever he’s around.  I don’t want anyone to know what I feel whenever I see him.

 

Even my friends don’t know what I really feel.  They know that I hate Seung Ri.

 

I don’t want anyone to know that he’s the reason why I blush.  That he’s the reason why my heart is doing gymnastics every time I see him.

 

He always teases me when he has the time and opportunity.  Sometimes he really pisses me off that I want to strangle his neck.

 

But I kept my cool.  We’re known to have a cat-and-dog relationship because we always fight and clash.  I want everybody to stick with that.

 

“Chae Rin!” Over here!” I saw Dara-unnie, Bom-unnie and Minzy waving at me.  Seung Hyun-oppa is also there, Bom-unnie’s boyfriend.  They are chilling out at our favorite hang-out place when school’s over.  I immediately ran towards them and sat at one of the chairs.

 

“Hi, Chae Rin,” he greeted me and I greeted him back.

 

We were chatting and laughing when Seung Hyun-oppa acknowledged someone behind me.

 

“Ji Yong, Seung Ri, why are you here?”

I saw Dara-unnie tensed.  She was sitting at my left side so she didn’t see who came, too.  I know that she has a thing for Ji Yong-oppa.

 

“Oh, nothing.  Just wanna chill out.  You got a nice spot here,” Seung Ri said and sat… beside me.  He’s sitting beside me!!! Kyaaaah~!!!  And Ji Yong-oppa sat beside Dara-unnie.

 

Omo!  I think I’m hyperventilating right now!  I inhaled deeply and exhaled and drank water to compose myself.

 

“You okay, Chae Rin?  I just sat beside you and you started to freak out.  Am I making you uncomfortable?”  he said, his voice being husky at the last sentence.

 

“Yah, Seung Ri!  Stop doing that to Chae Rin.  That’s the very reason why she hates you.  You’re getting on her nerves,” Bom-unnie warned Seung Ri.

 

Seung Ri dramatically clutched his chest.  “You… h-hate me?”

 

No, I don’t!  I like you very much!

 

I wanted to scream but I can’t.  I have to act to cover up what I really feel.

 

“Why do you exist?” I asked him, looking at him with an irritated look.

 

“Me?” he pointed himself.

 

“Yes.”

 

“To you?” he pointed at me with a grin.

 

My heart skipped a beat.  I panicked.

 

“Anniyo!” I said while shaking my head.

 

He laughed. “I exist like water when you’re feeling thirsty,” he answered and walked out.

 

I was left there, dumbfounded.

 

I exist like water when you’re feeling thirsty, he said.

 

“Wow,’ Minzy’s voice took me back to the present. “Seung Ri really knows what to say.”

 

--------

[Seung Ri’s POV]

 

That’s the very reason why she hates you… You’re getting on her nerves…

 

Bom-noona’s voice echoed in my head.

 

Is it true?  She… hates me?

 

That hurts.  Damn.

 

I think it’s high time that I stop teasing and making fun of her.  I have to confess to her now.  But I need to tell this to my hyungs first.

 

--------

“What’s with this meeting, maknae?” Seung Hyun-hyung asked.

 

“Ahm…  tomorrow is Valentines’ Day, right?” I started.

 

“Yeah.  So?  Do you have a plan?” Youngbae-hyung said.

 

“Well, y-yeah,” I nervously massaged my nape.  I kinda feel embarrassed right now.

 

“Spill it out.  What are you planning?” Daesung-hyung interrupted.

 

“I want to… confess… to someone that I like her very much.  But I don’t know if I can because… she hates me…”

 

“That’s why I told you before to stop teasing Chae Rin,” Seung Hyun-hyung said.

 

I looked at him first before looking at Ji Yong-hyung.  “You told them?”

 

Ji Yong-hyung grinned.  “No I didn’t.”

 

“You’re very obvious, maknae,” Daesung-hyung pointed.

 

“But if I’m obvious, why can’t she see it?”

 

My four hyungs just shrugged their shoulders.

 

Hmmm.  That’s odd.

 

--------

[Author’s POV]

 

Valentines’ Day.  Today is the day.  Almost every student in school have something in their hands – flowers, stuffed toys, chocolates.

 

Seung Ri’s hanging out by himself at the table where Chae Rin’s friends used to hang out.

 

His eyes went to a scene nearby, where a boy gave a girl a rose.  The girl accepted the rose with a smile on her face.

 

He sighed, wishing that Chae Rin will have the same reaction.  But he’s having second thoughts.  He really likes Chae Rin, but the way he and make fun of her, he guessed that she really hate him.  He sighed once more, deeper this time.

 

He stared at the rose.  He made up his mind.

 

“What’s wrong, bro?” Daesung said. His friends have been watching Seung Ri from a distance and they can tell that he’s having a problem.  They sat with him.

 

“Nothing.  I think I don’t have the courage to say it to her.”

 

“What are you talking about?” Seung Hyun asked.

 

“I can’t tell her.  I’m… I’m giving up.”

 

“Who are you?  What have you done to our talkative and fun maknae?” Ji Yong looked at Seung Ri.  He can tell that he made up his mind about this.  But he can’t give up.  Not like this.

 

Seung Ri remained silent, still staring at the beautiful rose, reminding him how beautiful Chae Rin is.

 

“Seung Ri,” Youngbae’s voice was full of determination.  He wanted to shake Seung Ri for being such a coward.

 

“Give her that rose and tell her you like her.”

 

“But hyung, I told you, I can’t –”

 

“You can.  You’ll just give up like this?  That’s not the Seung Ri we know.  How will you feel when you see Chae Rin with another guy, thinking that the guy was supposed to be you?  If you don’t tell her now –”

 

Seung Ri stood up. “Have you seen her?”

 

--------

[Seung Ri’s POV]

 

I was searching for Chae Rin in the school grounds.  Where the hell is she?!

 

Yes, I’m being paranoid right now!  Youngbae-hyung’s words shook me up. Just the thought of Chae Rin hanging out with another guy, I think I can’t bear the pain.

 

I’m still looking for her.  And every time I pass by a group of girls, I can hear their giddy squeals.  Sorry girls, but this rose belongs to my one and only Chae Rin.

 

At last, I saw her.  There she is, sitting under a tree while reading a book.  What a beauty…

 

I took a step closer and every step I take, my heart beats faster and faster.

 

I stood in front of her, towering her.  She looked up at me.  I saw panic in her eyes but it was easily replaced by the same cold stare she gives me every time.

 

“What do you want?” she asked with the same coldness in her voice.

 

“I… I… Ah…”

 

“What?” Chae Rin stood up and faced me.  I was unprepared by her sudden movement that I took a step back.  My heart is beating like crazy now.  This is the very first time I felt this.

 

Chae Rin’s eyebrows met.  “If you won’t say anything,” she gathered her things and carried her bag.  “I’ll be going.”

 

“Wait!” I held her wrist and I felt electricity flowed through my veins.  Chae Rin flinched with our skin contact.

 

“Here,” I handed her the rose and her eyes widened.

 

--------

[Chae Rin’s POV]

 

What the hell?!  Seung Ri just came to me, held my wrist and handed me a rose?!  What’s happening? I’m confused...  He was teasing me yesterday and now he’s giving me a rose?

 

Omo!  My heart… I’m so giddy right now!!! KYAAAH~!!!

 

I was about to thank him and accept the rose when…

 

“But don’t misunderstand, Ice Queen.  I’m giving you this so you won’t look out of place.  It’s Valentines’ Day today.  It doesn’t mean that I like you.” Seung Ri said with a wide grin in his face.

 

*imaginary glass shatters into million pieces*

 

“WHAT?!” I screamed.  That’s it.  I’ve had enough.  The nerve of this guy!  He just ruined my day!

 

“Why waste your time coming to me if – Argh!  I hate you!”

 

I passed by him and leaving him behind.  As I was walking, I texted Dara-unnie and asked her where they are.  She said that they are on the same spot.

 

I was walking fast, trying to forget the pain in my heart.

 

I knew he doesn’t like me.  He didn’t need to rub it on my face.

 

At last, I saw my friends.  I hurriedly ran to them and sat at my place on the table.

 

--------

[Author’s POV]

 

“Argh!  I hate Seung Ri! I really hate that panda!”  Chae Rin exclaimed when she sat on her place at the table.

 

“Why? What did he do to you this time?” Dara asked while biting the straw of her drink.

 

“Can you believe it?  He gave me a red rose!” Chae Rin said, unable to prevent her cheeks from blushing.

 

This didn’t escape from the eyes of Bom, Minzy and Dara.  They didn’t normally see Chae Rin blush.  Actually, this is the very first time they saw her with red cheeks.

 

Something is definitely going on.  And Seung Ri might be the reason.

 

“Did you accept the rose?” Bom asked Chae Rin.

 

“W-well, I was about to…” Chae Rin bowed her head, trying to hide her flushed cheeks.

 

“But…?” Dara asked a hanging question.

 

Chae Rin’s eyes became sharp as she turned her attention to her friends.  “But then he told me that he’s not really giving me the rose because he likes me! Rather, he told me that he’s giving me a rose on Valentines’ Day because he doesn’t want me to look out of place!  What is he trying to imply? That no one will ever give me a rose on Valentines’ Day!? The nerve!  I hate him!”

 

Dara’s phone rang.  She received a message from Minzy.  She looked at the sender and Minzy mouthed, “Just read.”

 

Following her command, Dara read the message.

 

I think she’s really pissed off because Seung Ri told her that he didn’t like her.  And I also think that Chae Rin likes Seung Ri.

 

Dara’s mouth formed an “O”.  Maybe Minzy’s right.  She has to check if her theory is a fact.

 

“Chae Rin… Do you really hate Seung Ri?” Dara asked, stressing the word.  Her voice is just above a whisper so that Bom and Minzy can hear her.

 

They saw Chae Rin tensed a bit.  Bom touched her hand.

 

“Chae Rin, you can trust us on this.  We’re friends, remember?” Bom’s voice was soft.

 

To their surprise, Chae Rin shook her head.

 

Minzy gasped. “You mean…”

 

Chae Rin nodded. “I never really hate Seung Ri.  Hate is such a powerful and harsh word.  I was just… just pissed off, I guess.  He always teases me but he has this smile that really affects me.  I thought that I should never show him what I really feel.  So every time I see him, I devoid my face with emotions.  It’s automatic but the truth is, behind my poker face, my heart is doing cartwheels and my mind is screaming how cute he is when I see him.”

 

“So in short…” Dara teased Chae Rin.  The three girls are now smiling from ear to ear.  They are very happy for their friend.

 

Chae Rin smiled and turned bright red.  She puts her hands on her cheeks.  “You know it already!  Do I really have to say it?”

 

Bom, Minzy and Dara chanted, “Say it!  Say it! Say it!”

 

“Fine! Fine!” Chae Rin inhaled deeply, and then she said, “I like Seung Ri! I like him very much! I really do!” in just one breathe.

 

“Kyaaaah~!!!” the three were now giddy because of Chae Rin’s confession.  She is now fanning her face and drinking water to get back her composure.

 

“Uh-oh. Seung Ri’s coming,” Minzy said, looking behind Chae Rin.

 

Bom, Minzy and Dara were amazed on how they saw Chae Rin transformed from giddy Chae Rin to poker faced Chae Rin.  She really mastered on how to control her emotions when Seung Ri is around.

 

“Chae Rin,” Seung Ri called her while standing behind her.

 

“What do you want again?” and her voice was so cold.

 

The three gasped when Seung Ri held a red rose in front of Chae Rin.

 

“I want to give you this,” he said seriously.

 

“Ha-ha, nice try, panda,” Chae Rin answered.

 

“Damn it! Why wouldn’t you accept this?!”

 

Seung Ri’s sudden outburst made the girls flinch and they became the center of attraction.  They can only hear the wind and the birds chirping.

 

Chae Rin looked at Seung Ri. “You’re asking me why?” She stood up and faced him. “Because I don’t want to.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Because I don’t like you!  You’re always teasing me!  You’re always making fun of me!  You keep on telling me things that will piss the hell out of me!  And how dare you insult me that no one will ever give me a rose on Valentines’ Day?! I h-hate you!”  Chae Rin’s voice trailed off at her last statement.

 

Seung Ri was obviously shocked.  But then…

 

“Well, I won’t say sorry! I did everything I can so you can notice me but what did I get? Nothing!  You should be the one apologizing because you made my life so difficult!  You don’t have a clue on how hard it is to keep your own secret but when in reality, you really want to shout it out for the whole world to hear!  And I hate you, too!  I hate you because you are so beautiful!  I hate you when you smile!  I hate you because you even exist!  I hate you for being so distant to me!  I hate you because you can’t see my real feelings!  But the thing that really is I really don’t hate you.  I don’t have the strength to hate you.  In fact, I hate myself more for not telling you how much I love you!  I love you, Lee Chae Rin!”

 

Everyone around us gasped, even the girls and Chae Rin.

 

Chae Rin’s knees wobbled.  She held on to her chair for support.  When her brain digested everything Seung Ri had said, her energy was drained.  She sat on the chair, her back facing Seung Ri.

 

Seung Ri kneeled beside Chae Rin and forced her to face him and he succeeded.

 

He clasped his hands, Chae Rin’s hands in between his.

 

“I’m… s-sorry…  I’m really sorry…” Chae Rin whispered.

 

“You don’t really have to say sorry, Chae Rin-ah…  Now please stop crying…” Seung Ri brushed Chae Rin’s cheeks and dried her tears.  “Why are you crying anyway?”

 

“I’m just… overwhelmed…  Knowing that the person I love loves me back, too…” Chae Rin smiled.

 

“Y-you mean…” Seung Ri covered his mouth.

 

“Why does everyone want me to say it straight to the point?  Can’t you guys read between the lines?” Chae Rin giggled.

 

“First of all, I want to say that I also feel the same, where you have to keep your own secret but the truth is you want to scream it out for everyone to know.  Seung Ri,” Chae Rin caressed Seung Ri’s face. “I have liked you from the very first time you entered the classroom.”

 

“But I loved you since that day,” Seung Ri held Chae Rin’s hand that’s on his face, staring at her lovingly.

 

“Just tell each other “I love you”!  I can’t wait here any longer!” someone from the crowd shouted.

 

“Omo! Omo, they’re watching us!” Chae Rin buried her face on her palms and hid her face in Seung Ri’s neck.

 

Seung Ri laughed and hugged her. He stood up so he can hug her comfortably. “They have been watching all this time, didn’t you notice?”

 

“NO!” Chae Rin is still embarrassed.

 

Seung Ri released Chae Rin from his embrace and draped his arms to her shoulders.

 

“Everyone!” Seung Ri called the attention of their audience. “This girl right here, she’s my girl starting this day.  You guys heard me right?  So back off, she’s off limits already.”

 

“But she didn’t say she loves you yet!” a guy shouted.

 

“Seung Ri-yah! I LOVE YOU!” Chae Rin looked at Seung Ri with so much love in her eyes.

 

“There, she shouted it already. So, sorry guys! We’re outta here!” Seung Ri guided Chae Rin out of the crowd but Bom stopped them.

 

“Wait! School isn’t over yet! We have one more subject!”

 

“Oh yeah.  Well we’ll be staying here then,” Seung Ri said, returning to their table.

 

Chae Rin laughed and hugged her boyfriend. “You are so sick.”

 

“I know, that’s my charm,” he winked at Chae Rin and stole a kiss from her lips.

 

“Yah!” Chae Rin pouted.

 

“Don’t make me do that again so stop pouting.”

 

Chae Rin pouted even more, and Seung Ri kissed her again.

 

“I love you,” Seung Ri said.

 

“I love you, too,” Chae Rin replied.