1

Arete: Korea Kingpin


He looked at them with his old eyes. A finger lifted up into the air and a smack to the table after. Cho Young Hwan observed each of them. They were in a large room full of antiques, maybe compared to a President's room. His pencil thin moustache was wearing off and his muscles were weakened by fifty seven years of life. He adjusted his bowtie and clasped his hands together on the mahogany desk, as if pleading.

"I have something to give to you all today."

Kyuhyun, Ara and Ji Sun listened attentively. Their father was going to die soon, for a fact, and they knew there was something going on in the household.

"There was another death from the Lees last night." It was typical for their father to be so happy about the passing of rivals. "We sent the best guns out there and their son is dead now. Shot him right in the head and now they know about us."

Ara bit her lip, hard. There was a desperate pounding in her head to forget what her father had just said. It was too risky to cry, she'd be slapped right in the cheek. She inhaled and swallowed the knowledge down her constricting throat. Ji Sun squeezed his little sister's hand in sympathy. They both knew the Lee son---Seung Il very well. Kyuhyun on the other hand felt indifferent about the situation and waded over the wave emotions his little siblings were taking in.

"Does our conversation today have anything to do about us? Because I'm not very interested." Kyuhyun rested his chin on a closed fist and crinkled his nose. His father returned with a piercing stare before placing three freshly printed tickets on his desk.

"Pick which one you like, they travel the same destinations."

Ji Sun swiped the middle and marvelled the ticket's beautiful designs. Ara took hold of the ticket on the right and traced her finger around the title of the ship's name, Andromeda. Kyuhyun only stared at his ticket.

Asinine, Andromeda, and Arete, respectively.

"You're all going on a vacation and you get seperate ships!" He quietly added, "Just for your enjoyment."

Kyuhyun's ears felt the stumble of his dad's voice. Clear sign of a lie. "Care to give us any details?"

"Son, this is why I gave you tickets. Now, off you all go." Younghwan motioned to the door and led them out.

Strange. That's what Kyuhyun decided to call the half hour they spent in there. Ara walked in between him and Ji Sun but suddenly pushed them away and ran to her room. Ji Sun put the ticket in his left pocket and saw his brother do the same. Their eyes met for awhile, and Kyuhyun felt so bad for the younger one. He would probably be the first to die.

Ji Sun locked himself in his quarters and sat on his bed. There was a beautiful presence around him and he felt a shudder. A trip around some of Asia would be a good start for the coming spring of April. Maybe he'd even land his own steel business in China without any help. He'd be able to run far away and never have to return to the hell of reality in his present location. Home.


Time ran as it  was already the morning of  April the first. The three young-ins bid their servants and entered their family automobile, a stylish blue one with new tires and windows that could be pulled down by a crank.

"Goodbye, So Yeon-eemo!" Ara waved at her favorite servant.  The old woman returned with a soft smile, but she could sense the fright of Ara just by the way she trembled as she moved her delicate hand in the cold morning air. Ji Sun said his last words and Kyuhyun looked at their beloved estate one more time. Smoke belched as the automobile drove away, blocking the younger siblings from their real final greetings.

"Aren't you in the least bit afraid of this? I don't even understand why papa sent us on different ships. I don't think I would enjoy it at all, being alone." Ji Sun looked at the driver. "What about it, eh? I'm going to stay in China forever once I get there. It's a big place, I could end up with the richest of the rich or the poorest of the poor. Luck is in the air."

"Luck? In the air? Seung Il is dead and not even the luckiest man in the world would bring him back," Ara said glumly. "and it's painful to take in, very painful."

"Just because two people are in love, it doesn't mean they're meant to be together, take for example Romeo and Juliet. Stupid how they fell in love in the most unimaginable conditions. Rivalry with another group of people. Reminds me of someone, no?" Kyuhyun shook his head.

Ara took off her glove, grabbed his neck and dug her nails into his flesh; she felt the blood coming off his skin and pushed him to the window. She delighted in seeing his pained face and smiled. Ji Sun in the middle of the arrangement put his arms on either side of him and closed his eyes. With all his faith in God almighty, he pleaded for them to halt whatever they were doing in his head. Things got quiet. His little sister began to shake, his brother began to groan in pain.

Remnants of winter frosted the stripped trees, the less fortunate women carried their moppets in cheap cloths and children were begging in the streets. It was very evident to the three siblings. They were one of the most well-off around.

"We have arrived," their chaffeur's barely audible voice forced out. "your luggage will be brought in immediately."



I finished Titanic in 3D today! So I thought I'd update and give you a bit of the story. Watch Titanic, it's amazing as heck! I didn't know Rose died on her bed at the last part, I thought she was dreaming. My mind sometimes. :( Okay, I'll see you later.

And on another note, thank you to twace12 for my poster. I need to have it done again because I made a mistake about the characters. Huhu. This is a preview of the poster just in case you want to see it.

Please take note that sometimes if a chapter is too short, it might be updated with extra paragraphs (like this one). :) Thanks for reading again.