CHAPTER 16: GIVING UP

BREATHE

“Dara, one jasmine tea please”
 


“B*tch” I hissed.
 


“I heard that” he snickered.
 


Can I have a normal life? Seunghyun keeps on bugging me again. Just moments after I arrived and changed into my uniform, he enters the door wickedly smiling like a devil very pleased with what he just did. I know why he’s here.
 


“I don’t care” 
 


“High high, I’m so high…”
 


“Ooops, phone call, just a sec I’ll get back to you and be prepared” He grinned and picked up his phone.
 


“I’m here, Of course” He looks at me teasing.

 

“I thought I’ll find you here, considering what happened last night”
 


He creased his eyebrow “What? I’ll talk to you later”
 


“I told you nothing happened, you always assume things” I told him, I know that phone call is Jiyong, and he just told him exactly the right thing.
 


“Of course, I’m good at it. With those skimpy lingeries I generously provided you, I doubt it if nothing happened last night. You should just thank me for that you know.”
 


I opened the closest drawer, I completely forgot that detail of last night. I cursed the day I met this guy.
 


“Whoa! Easy!” He flinched after i found a knife and stabbed it hard on the wooden counter.

 

“I never thought you’re that mad. You should be so pleased right now.”
 


“Where are you going?” I asked as he started to retreat.
 


“Business meeting, I need to plan a new tactic. You two always ruin everything”
 


“What?”
 


“I should’ve installed cameras around his room, stupid.” He muttered to himself.

 

“Later, Dara!” Then he slammed the door. Every customer looked at me. I hate that guy.
 


What happened last night? Well, I slept in his room. If you then consider closing you’re eyes as sleeping, then yeah I did.

 

After an hour I checked on him where I found him sleeping soundly in the couch. I still feel that it’s all dream and I’m hoping not to wake up. When you’re dreaming, you unconsciously do stupid things. And that’s exactly what I did. I slowly walked on his side. I took a knee and stared at him.
 


Then I’m lost…

 

“Where are you going?”

 

The next thing I knew two arms grabbed and laid me in the couch. I found myself lying in the couch with him behind me. I felt his breathe in my ear which is not totally helping. Even though we don’t face each other, I still felt nervous.

 

“To the kitchen, I’m thirsty” I gulped.

 

“What happened? Did you have a bad dream? You’re body seems tensed”

 

I feel his hand tensed. He quickly got up scooping me to his side. 

 

“Just a moment”

 

He went back with a glass of water.“There’s a fridge just around that corner, you can grab anything you want”

 

“Now I remember! Seunghyun used to ransacked that” I giggled.

 

“Can’t sleep?” He asked.

 

“Mmmm”

 

“Me too” I looked at him questioningly

 

“I’m faking it, fooling myself that I’m asleep” He laughed. “Then I felt someone breathing beside me”

 

“Mianhe” I smiled.

 

“You want to drink something? Do you drink? Or you want to watch a movie? I barely understand that film we were watching last time”

 

“That’s a good idea” I stood up and look for the DVD. I placed it carefully and press play, this will be good for a while.

 

“Come here” 

 

The same scene, the same movie yet immensely different from what it used to be. Here I am cradled in his arms. Every now and then he would touch my hair, rub my arms or circle his hands on my hips like where it always belongs.

 

“Your hand is cold” He locked his hand into mine.

 

With his warm, I drifted into sleep.
 

-------

 

“You should be nice to Seunghyun oppa you know” CL told me as we prepare to close the cafe. 

 

“You don’t know what you are talking about. That guy is a nightmare. He has a devil inside him”

 

“Just saying”

 

I can’t complain if they assume that. I don’t want to explain myself either, it’s too complicated. Just as I arrived, CL-roo kept throwing suspicious looks at me. Well I believed she can’t talk about it, thank God. But seriously nothing happened, Jiyong is a perfect gentleman and I love him for that.

 

“Oppa!” I heard CL.

 

“Seunghyun, stop bugging…“ I said as I turned around.

 

”Youngbae!” 

 

I forgot about Youngbae. He looks so weary but yet still smiling. He approached us taking our bags. He looks at me for awhile and then turn to CL-roo.

 

“Ready to go home?” He asked.

 

“Oppa fetch me. He’s here since this morning. He’s gracious enough to help me with table preparations coz’ you’re late babyDarong!”

 

“I’m sorry babyRin. I waited for Jiyong to wake up”

 

I clasped my mouth as I realized what I have just said. Suddenly I felt guilty. I look at Youngbae to see his reaction. He must be worrying about it. I can sense his anxiety. But then his mood change that he suddenly grabbed my arms. He took me outside without a word. I felt scared for the first time.
 


“I’m leaving” He said taking his hands off me.
 


“What? When? You already finish everything you need to do?”
 


“Last night, I realized that I can’t fixed it and it’s time to give up. I think my family can live without it, I don’t know for me”

 

“I see. When will you come back?”

 

“I don’t know”

 

“I’m gonna miss you”

 

He grabbed my shoulders hard frustration drawn on his face. I tried to cringe away from him but he’s holding me with too much pressure. I can't believe he can be this scary.

 

“Youngbae” I said looking straight onto him.

 

“What are you doing?” I heard someone barked loudly.

 

I didn't notice him came by, what am I going to do?

 

“Ji…”

 

“I’m just saying goodbye that’s all” Youngbae said releasing me.

 

Jiyong walked beside me and took my arm. He looked at me and I smiled assuring him that everything’s okay. He nods.

 

“I’ll wait for you inside” He said.

 

“You don’t have to, I’m about to go. Till then Dara”

 

“You’re leaving now? At least say goodbye to the rest”

 

“I’ll drop by later in your apartment”

 

"Okay. Till then"

 

And then he left. I feel so guilty but I can't do anything. How am I supposed to react on this? He is my friend and I'm thankful for that. But this is too much. I'll surely miss him, I know I will.

 

“Dara, I’ll show you something. I don’t think Seunghyun has a plan to give back my car” Jiyong beamed at me and I can't help but be excited. He grabbed my hand leading me outside the driveway.

“I went to buy one but the dealer refused to sell me even the expensive ones. I bet Seunghyun paid them, that b*stard. This is all I can do.”


 

“Do you ride Vespas?” He asked.

 

"Not sure"

 

"Come on" He helped me put on my helmet.

 

"My girl still looking beautiful with the helmet on, I can't believe it" He stared at me amusingly.

 

I laughed hard. We stared for a moment before I made up my mind and rode on his back. I prepared myself holding onto him.

 

“Are you ready?” 

 

I hugged him closer.

 

“I can’t breathe, Dara” He chuckled.

 

“Mianhe”

 

“It’s ok. Just hold on to me whatever it takes”

 

I snuggled closer, “I promise” 

 

Then we speed off with peace. For now.