What's the Name of the Game?

Mato's Finest

“Hang in there, General!” Daehyun groaned, dragging his leader up the ship’s ramp. They’d been not even fifteen feet away from the entrance of their hideout when Yongguk collapsed, too overcome by exhaustion and blood loss to take another step. Jongup was on his feet as soon as he heard Daehyun’s voice. He launched out of the ship, leaving the Viceroy wringing her hands together.

“Hyung!” Jongup cried, helping Youngjae pull Yongguk onto the ship. “Is he…?”

“He’s still alive. Go get our spare medic cubes.” Himchan’s tone was surprisingly even. As their Commander, he was required to remain calm, especially when Youngjae looked like he was about to throw up and Daehyun still hadn’t gotten any medical attention. Too bad the only other organism with the ability to rationalize was broken.

“These are all we have left.” Jongup held up three cubes with a frown. Himchan almost growled in frustration.

“Okay. Okay, use one on Daehyun and give me the other two.”

“Is that going to be enough?”

“Yongguk’ll be okay. Fix Daehyun.”

Jongup looked like he wanted to say more, but decided against it and disappeared into the medical bunker.

With a sigh, Himchan pulled Yongguk onto a research bench. Hyosung watched as the Commander stripped his friend of the tattered suit and pressed cubes onto the General’s chest and neck. Yongguk groaned in pain when the healing effects started setting in, then promptly proceeded to lose consciousness.

“I’m really sorry.” It was the first thing she’d said to him. The Viceroy had lost her nerve upon seeing the man’s expression once the squad returned. She felt guilty. They’d come for her.

“Don’t be.”

“But this is my fault.”

“It’s that scum’s fault.”

“No. It’s mine,” she stood, fists clenched at her sides. Himchan paused slightly but resumed his work without a word. Hyosung took a shaky breath. “If I hadn’t been foolish enough to let my guard down and get myself kidnapped… none of you would be in this situation. I got you all injured.”

Himchan’s jaw set. He’d had enough. “You’re right. It is your fault,” he stood up and her. Suppressed anger was apparent in his eyes as he spoke. “You care now, after you’ve seen what your soldiers are willing to do for you. We risked our lives for you – not just today but every time we go into battle. We fight for our planet and our governor, which is going to be you soon. It may not seem like it, but he is willing to lay his life down for you,” Himchan gestured to the unconscious man behind him. Hyosung swallowed guiltily. “You may be our Viceroy and our future leader, but I’ll be perfectly honest when I say I hope that guilt is eating away at you. Hundreds have fallen for you, Kivaa, and hundreds more will. Even if I’m not around when it happens, I hope you live with that guilt for the rest of your life.” He turned back around to Yongguk, his shoulders tense. Hyosung opened , but her jaw snapped shut when he growled again. “Get out.”

It wasn’t a suggestion. She ducked her head and quickly left him at the bench. The control room door slid shut with a hiss and a click, locking her in alone with herself. Biting her lip, she slid to the floor. Tears threatened to spill over, so she bit harder, letting the black blood taint her lips. Their blood. Her knees were pulled up to her chest and she sobbed into them. Much like her usual façade of bravery, her skin suit started fading.

She was tired of all this. She didn’t want to be hiding behind her status and her name. That Commander didn’t know the half of it. Her father took every chance he could to remind her how many men died for her survival. They’d given their lives without question, and all she could do was sit there and cry. She didn’t want this. She wanted to be on the front lines with them. She wanted to fight for her people, for her soldiers. But she couldn’t – too much was riding on her survival.

Her head snapped up, a hopeful gleam in her eyes. Leaping to her feet, she wiped the blood from her lips and walked to the controls. If she couldn’t fight physically, she’d do it politically. If the Visi wanted Earth, Mato would have to take it first. With full Earthling cooperation, of course.

“Everyone who can, report to the control room. I have something to discuss with you all.”

 

An hour or so later, Yongguk was the last to limp into the room. Youngjae offered him a weak smile.

“Heard you requested I be rescued first. Thanks, General.”

“Don’t mention it.” Bang nodded his head with a small smirk. His head was still pounding, but it was a vast improvement on his prior condition. He glanced at the robot in the corner, somewhat more intact but still turned off. Hyosung cleared , drawing his attention back to the computers.

“I have a plan. You’re not going to like it, but it’s better than nothing.”

“I’m listening.”

Hyosung tapped her fingers on her arm. “A airship from Mato will be here soon to take several people home. I believe this fight is better fought diplomatically. Told you, you weren’t going to like it.” She smirked at Yongguk’s scowl.

“Several people?” Himchan stood up.

“Yes. Myself and two of you. The other four will stay here and attempt to make a deal with Bi,” She glanced around the room before her eyes met Bang’s. The Viceroy stepped in front of him, lowering her voice when she reached him. “Do you understand?”

He understood perfectly. As much as he wanted to protest, he knew the woman was right. If he could make a deal with Bi in the only way that appealed to the psycho, it was better than endangering more people in a fight. “I understand, ma’am.”

Hyosung nodded her approval and stood by the door. “I’ll let you choose who goes and who stays.”

“Jongup.” Himchan and Bang said in unison. The youngest’s eyes widen and he immediately sprung to his feet.

“What? Hyungs-“

“You’re going.”

“Why?” He looked pleadingly from Himchan to Bang. Yongguk his lips and sighed.

“Because I want you home. You’re the youngest and you’ll be of more use on Mato.”

“So you’re saying I’m no good here, is that it?”

“This isn’t your fight, Jongup!”

“It is my fight. It was my fight the minute I joined this squad!”

Yongguk gripped him by the shoulders. “I swore to keep you safe. What I’m going to do – I don’t want you having any part of it. You’re going. That’s an order.”

Jongup looked like he was about to protest, but Himchan cut in. “Want to let me in on this part of your plan?”

“You’re going, too.” Yongguk dropped his hands and turned to meet his Commander’s gaze, watching as anger flared in his eyes.

“Excuse me?”

“You and Jongup are going with our Kivaa back to Mato.”

“No.”

“You’re our best negotiator. You’re needed there.”

“I’m your Commander. Are you ordering me to go home?”

“I’m suggesting you do, but if you’d rather I ordered, I could.”

“You have no right-“ Himchan was cut off by booted footsteps stomping up the ramp. Several soldiers in Matokian armor saluted the squad and addressed Hyosung. We’re ready to go, ma’am.

“There’s only room for three, and I obviously have no place here. Make up your mind, boys.” She gave Yongguk one last look before following the soldiers to the rescue ship hovering outside. Bang gave Himchan an expectant look.

“I’m not going.”

“You have to!”

“Why can’t you?”

Yongguk took a step closer. “I’m our best fighter. I need Youngjae and Daehyun with me, Zelo too. I need Jae’s tracking and Dae’s weapons. You’re our only negotiator, Himchan. Think about this logically.”

“I don’t want to think about anything logically,” Himchan spat. “You’re making a stupid decision, Shishi, and I’m not going to stand for-“

“Don’t call me that!”

“It’s your real name. As your friend, I’m asking you, no, I’m begging you not to do what I think you’re going to do.”

Yongguk gripped his Commander’s shoulders. “Please, Himchan,” he lowered his voice so the others couldn’t hear. “You’re like a brother to me, to them. I need you to be around if I don’t come out of this. I’m asking you to do this for me, as your friend.”

Himchan looked like he was struggling. His eyes darted back and forth between Bang and the door, his jaw set like he was about to refuse. But with a sigh, he gave in.

“C’mon, Jongup. We’re going home.”

“Hyung-“

We’re going home.

Jongup’s shoulders slumped, but he knew not to disobey his Commander when he spoke in that tone. Himchan gave Bang one last fleeting look. “You’d better be back home in a few days, Shishi. I won’t forgive you if you don’t.”

Yongguk smiled as reassuringly as he could. “I’ll see you there.”

Himchan nodded and pulled Jongup along with him off the ramp and out of sight. With grim determination, the General pulled Zelo onto the central table and laid out his tools. Daehyun and Youngjae exchanged a look. They were almost too nervous to say anything, but Daehyun managed to break the silence.

“What now?”

The sound of the airship making its takeoff rang in the boys’ ears, leaving a sinking feeling in all their stomachs. For some reason, things weren’t looking too good.

“I fix Zelo, you get your best weapons ready to fight with, and Youngjae finds a way to contact Bi.”

Youngjae’s eyes widened. “Why do you need to…?”

“I’m going to make him an offer he can’t refuse.”