The eyelash conundrum.

You'll never know. [Hiatus]

chapter fourThe eyelash conundrum.

FOR A FEW DAYS NOW, Kim Nana had been working at the local bookstore. She had quit her job as a security guard at the blue house after the revenge, opting for a less risky part-time job. At least until she found her bearings. It was a nice change from the constant pressure to protect someone else's life. That, and everyone at the store loved her coffee -the owner, a kindly old lady, had even offered to raise her pay if she made one for her every day. Nana smiled. Things were a lot better now. That much was certain.

Not to say that Nana had stopped practising Judo. No. In fact, she also taught a weekly class for adults and trained frequently with Yoonsung. He had insisted she remember something useful after everything that had happened. After all, it was better than not to have the skills to defend herself. You never know when they might be needed. He said, and she readily agreed.

"Nana, you have a visitor. Who is he? He's so handsome... eh?" came the voice of her co-worker, Park Eunjee. She was a young girl of about sixteen years with short, wavy hair that was always braided into a loose plait. She had glasses to frame her almond-shaped eyes and overall had the girl-next-door look.

Nana rolled her eyes.

"It's Yoonsung." she said and indeed, there he was.

He stood leaning casually against the counter as if he owned the place. He wore skinny black jeans and a grey trench coat coupled with a cashmere scarf. Strands of hair peeked out from under his navy blue beanie which heightened the softness of his honey-brown eyes. In his hand rested a small coffee cup. He took a sip before grimacing and placed it on the counter. When he caught sight of Nana, the corner of his mouth turned up ever so slightly.

"Nana, why are you taking so long? eh? I’ve been waiting for a while."

"Stop coming in the middle of my shift." She countered. One eyebrow rose as Yoonsung looked meaningfully at the clock sitting on the wall behind Nana.

"Your shift ended fifteen minutes ago. How could you not know that?" He said, as if chastising a small child. "Really...you make me speechless." He muttered.

Ignoring his last comment, Nana looked at the clock in surprise. He was right.

Unfortunately.

"Yoonsung. Stop complaining like a baby. Ok?" She replied. Then, turning to Eunjee, she smiled apologetically. "He's not usually like this, just disregard it."

Yoonsung scoffed at this.

"That's alright, he's cute." Eunjee said with a grin. Then her voice lowered to a whisper, "I think he likes you...Go for it." she said, with a wink. Nana's eyes widened, earning her a curious look from Yoonsung. She avoided his gaze.

"I'll take my leave now." Nana said, composing herself quickly. Before anyone could stop her, she picked up her bag, gave a small wave and dragged Yoonsung out of the shop.

“OW, ah – stop!” Yoonsung protested once they were outside, causing Nana to finally let go of his arm. He stood to face her defiantly. “Yah! That hurt! What is with your uncontrollable man strength, eh?”

Nana sighed, trying to contain her amusement. For someone who had been trained to fight from birth and had experienced numerous gunshot wounds, he was laying it on thick. She knew he was childish at times but it never ceased to amaze her how someone like him could be so petty and yet, also mature when it mattered. It was this very aspect of his personality that would always remain a mystery to her.

“And…?” She inquired innocently. “Besides, I can’t have man strength since I’m a woman.”

Yoonsung scoffed at her. “Che. What woman? I don’t see one here.”

“Oh, don’t be such a child.” Nana advised with a mock serious expression. Then as an afterthought, she added, “Oh wait, you always have been. That can’t be changed, unfortunately.” And she giggled at his indignant expression.

“What’s so funny, huh?” He asked and unable to help himself, he smiled. Nana seemed to be suffering from an onslaught of uncontrollable giggles. “Che. Look at her...” he muttered, looking at her with growing fascination.

Shoving him playfully, Nana gave him a sidelong glance. “You know I’m right, neh?” she prompted in a joking tone. “Just say it. You know I’m right.” She said, affirming her statement with a nod.

“Never.” He replied, eyes dancing with amusement.

“Oof, you have too much pride.”

“And you have none.”

“Eh? So rude.” Nana answered, looking affronted. “Oh wait,” she added, eyebrows furrowing in confusion. “You have an eyelash... just, there.” She indicated where it was. However, when he proceeded to rub his eye, she slapped his hand out of the way. “Shh. Let me do it. You’re going to get it in your eye, silly.”

Yoonsung said nothing. He simply watched her as she leaned closer to remove the offending eyelash. Hyper aware of her presence, he noted the way her face was mere inches away from his – he could feel her war breath on his lips. Her eyes too; those light brown eyes as they narrowed in concentration. He noticed how her hair seemed particularly soft tonight. Was it the cold? It smelt of that Chanel scent he loved. She must have been using his shampoo again. His eyes flickered to her lips and he swallowed. It was probably best not to think of ...that.

Nana’s fingers were gentle as they worked to rub off the eyelash without poking his eye out in the process. She knew his eyes were on her and tried not to linger too much when she was done. As she stepped back, announcing that she was finished, he caught her wrist.

“Hmm?” She questioned, eyes darting up to meet his.

He looked startled and let go immediately. “Don’t worry... it’s nothing.”

Nana tried to not let her disappointment show. What had she been hoping for? A kiss? A proclamation of feelings? No. They were going to take their time – this was what had been decided anyway. How could she forget? She cleared uncomfortably, slapping on a smile for both of their benefit.

“Well, shall we have dinner now? I’m starving.” She said with a cheerful expression. Without waiting for a response, she started walking ahead of him.

A moment later, however, she stopped.

“What is it?”

Nana ignored the question. “No... This isn’t going to work.” She mumbled, turning around to find that he was right behind her. She looked up at him steadily, despite her heart thrumming in nervous excitement. “Come here.” Her voice was quiet but firm.

“What...?”

She didn’t wait for him to listen to her command. Stepping close, she grabbed his coat and pulled him in for a kiss.