Chapter 8

The Nemesis

 

Jangwoo opens up the lunchbox he received earlier before he went for work. It is the third time for the week. He has been receiving anonymous homemade lunchbox sent to him with small notes of encouragement for the past few days. His thought wanders to the incident a week ago.

 

*Flashback

 

YooJin put her fore finger on his lips stopping him and said, ‘Let’s date for real.’

 

‘D-Date??’ He widened his eyes. He wasn’t expecting this at times like this. After a long deep thought, he finally spoke out, ‘Give me some time. I will give you an answer soon.’

 

‘I will make sure you will choose me.’ She smiles confidently and got down from the car.

 

*End of flashback

 

‘Could it be her?’ Jangwoo mumbles to himself. He then fishes out his phone and calls right away.

 

He knew that he can’t avoid it any longer. YooJin has been good to him. There is nothing he dislikes about her but his heart is telling him otherwise. He had to make decision soon.

 

‘Hello YooJin-ssi? Are you free later? I have something to tell you. Let’s meet up in the nearby café.’

 

*

 

Fiddling with his phone, the tension builds up. He wasn’t sure of the outcome. He was hoping for a good one. Checking the time, YooJin should be here any minute. He breathes in and out a few times to calm himself down.

 

Soon, YooJin walked in wearing a simple lace white knee dress with  her long hair let down. She prepares s lot for this sudden date. Being a gentleman he got up and opens up the seat for her before getting back to his seat.

 

‘Sorry I was late.’ She looked at him shyly while brushing her hair to the back. ‘Nah, I was the one early. Here order your drink first. I ordered mine.’ He turns the menu on the table towards her direction. ‘Hmm, I will just have hot tea.’

 

‘So…how are you these days?’ Jangwoo checking out her mood as the attendant leaves after taking her order.

 

‘I am good. I’ve been attending cooking classes nowadays. Still not very good though. Guys like girls who cook aren’t it?’ She gave out a small laugh at her own statement.

 

‘Hmm..It’s good to learn new things. But sometimes there are things that you just can’t force it to happen the way you wanted it to be.’

 

‘It’s true but I believe that I will be successful if I work hard into achieving it. I am gonna make the best meal for you next time.’ She laughs out again. She seems to be in a good mood. Do I really have to be a jerk and say it out right here? No..no..I have to do it now or she is going to get hurt more.

 

‘So what is the thing that you want to tell me?’ She sips the hot tea that had just been placed on the table. Rubbing on the ear of the mug nervously, he started, ‘It’s like this..I know you are the one who have been sending me lunchboxes to the office.’

 

 ‘How did you know it was me? How is the taste? I spent a lot of time making it. Do you like it?’ YooJin asked excitedly.

 

‘It was really nice…and I really appreciate it a lot…B-but it’s not w-working out…’ His voice trailed off.

 

‘Not working out? What do you mean by not working out?’ It took her a moment before the word finally registered into her head.

 

‘I am sorry to say but I can’t accept you. I know you are a nice girl and it’s wrong for me to say this but my heart doesn’t agree with my brain. I don’t want to deceive you and my heart. I believe yo—’

 

‘Don’t say anymore. I get it. I understand. ’ She cuts his sentence halfway through while holding onto her tears. In the past she only gets to reject people and no one ever rejects her.  She breathes in deeply to control her emotions.

 

Seeing her tears, Jangwoo’s guilt crept up and offered her napkins. ‘I’m sorry YooJin-ssi. I should have told you sooner.’

 

‘Is it because of EunJung-ssi? You like her?’  

 

‘I am not sure myself but I am going to search for answers. That’s why I couldn’t accept you while my mind is on something else. I am sure you are going to meet a better man than a guy like me.’ He said once again apologetically.

 

She arranges her thoughts and speaks out softly, ‘Then..can we still be friends? I can’t be your girlfriend but being a friend should not be a trouble for you right?’

 

‘Of course I would love to have you as my friend. My friends are going to be so envious of me for having a cool goddess friend.’ YooJin let out a weak smile at his joke.

 

‘I am glad that you are smiling again. Once again…I am sorry.’ He sincerely apologises.

 

‘My heart is not okay now but…it’s going to heal. Give it some time.’ She let out a weak smile once again.

 

‘I’ll send you back home after this.’ Jangwoo sips down the cooled hot chocolate with a light heart. The guilty burden is finally off his chest.

 

*

 

‘Hello?  EunJung-ah? I’ve been a bad man today…’ He speaks to the phone in the state of drunk.

 

Surprised by his phone call at this hour, she knew he must be somewhere drinking. ‘Why do you sound so drunk? I will go and pick you now.’ She took her car key and drove to the stall they always hang out.

 

Upon arriving at the stall, EunJung saw him lying lifelessly on the table. He must be really in a bad mood. ‘Are you alright?’ She pats him on the back lightly.

 

‘Ah our EunJung is finally here. Come let me pour you a drink. The jerk for today will treat you good food.’ He pours out the soju into a cup and shoved it to her hand.

 

‘What exactly happened to you? Tell me about it.’ She put the cup aside as the man lying in front of her was more important than anything else.

 

Suddenly he stood up and raised his cup. ‘T-today…I, Lee Jang Woo broke someone’s heart. I-I rejected YooJin-ssi and she cried. Cheers to being a jerk~’

 

‘Yah! It’s so embarrassing.’ She pulled him back into his seat and took away the cup in his hand. He slumped back onto the table. He rejected her? So they were not dating at all in the first place? Little did she notice that she is actually happily receiving this news. 

 

Jangwoo took the soju again and gulps down the entire bottle. ‘I sh-should have told her sooner that I like…someone else already.’ She was surprised at his drunk statement. Someone else? He had other woman other that Kim YooJin? He is really getting bolder and bolder now.

 

‘You know who I like? She is a person with bizarre personality. Sometimes she is as rough as a man but there are times she gives me aegyo like a child. But that’s what attracted me.’ He holds her shoulder and looked drunkly into EunJung’s eyes.

 

She sulked when he describes the girl that he likes. She had been displeased with him ever since the appearance of YooJin and now out of nowhere pops out a girl that he never mention before.

 

Trying to fish out the truth, she tries again, ‘So what’s her name? Have I met her before?’

 

‘You always see her often.  Her name is…Ham…Eun…Jung.’ Finishing the last word,  Jangwoo drops his head forward onto EunJung’s shoulder falling into unconscious state leaving her dumbfounded.