Chapter 9

The Nemesis

Jangwoo woke up with terrible hangover. He squinted his eyes to give a look to his surroundings. Looking very familiar, it’s actually EunJung’s living room. He sat up and grabbed his trobbing head with his both hands. Yesterday’s incident flashes over his mind. The memory was all in bits and pieces. He remembered EunJung came over to drink with him. He remembered the embarrassing moment where he stood up and shouted. He remembered he said something to her but what? He couldn’t remember anything after that.

 

“You are awake?” A familiar voice is heard from the kitchen.

 

Startled by the voice, he stuttered, “Y-yea. I-I’m awake.”

 

“Come over here. I’ve made you some hangover soup. Eat it before you leave.”

 

Still holding onto his head, confused Jangwoo slowly walks over to the dining table. “EunJung, you brought me home? All alone?”

 

“Yah, of course all alone. You think would anyone want to bother a dead drunk man like you? Ishh..its’ so embarrassing yesterday.” EunJung scooped out the soup into his bowl with obvious annoyed look.

 

Ignoring her complaint, he continues, “Did anything happen yesterday? Did I say something weird?” 

 

“M-mwo? Weird? Aniya..nothing like that happened.” She lied through her teeth.

 

“Are you sure? But I remembered I said something. Or was I dreaming?” Jangwoo drink a spoon of the soup. “Wow it really tasted good. You’ve improved.”

 

“Yah, of course it’s good. I learned it from you.” She sighed in relief as the subject was changed.

 

She walked away from the table to take the side dishes made by her mom in the fridge. Her mind flashes back to the night before.

 

*Flashback

 

‘You know who I like? She is a person with bizarre personality. Sometimes she is as rough as a man but there are times she gives me aegyo like a child. But that’s what attracted me.’ He holds my shoulder tightly and looked into my eyes. I could feel the heat on my cheeks. 

 

Trying to fish out the truth, she tries again, ‘So what’s her name? Have I met her before?’ I could actually feel my heartbeat fasten as I anticipate for his answer.

 

‘You always see her often.  Her name is…Ham…Eun…Jung.’

 

*End of flashback

 

Does he really mean it? Or it’s just his drunkard words? Should I believe it? Does he really like me? No wait. Why am I even thinking about it? I have Taceyeon isn’t it? I shouldn’t think too much into it. Reorganising her thoughts, she walks back to the table with the side dishes.

 

“Wow all this are my favourite. Your mum really knows me a lot.” EunJung laid out the side dishes one by one. EunJung’s mother always prepared side dishes for her. At times, her mother even prepares Jangwoo’s favourite side dishes in case he comes over to eat.

 

*

 

Jangwoo went straight to the bathroom after reaching home. He the cold shower to rinse off the smelly alcohol odour. As the water pours down on him, the memory came back to him. ‘You know who I like? I like…’ He couldn’t remember in detail but he was sure that he said something that night. Words that could have end their 15 years of friendship.

 

After the shower, he sat down on his bed while drying his hair. He took his phone from the side table and starts typing away.

 

[EunJung-ah. Let’s meet tonight for dinner. I have something to tell you] – from Jangoonim

 

[Okay. I will decide the venue. To compensate for me ㅋㅋ] – from Baekgu

 

Not knowing what the outcome from this decision is, he was determined to get definite answer for the question that has been troubling him.

 

*

 

Throughout the dinner, EunJung was excited to share her day’s happening to him but he is all in his own thoughts. He couldn’t focus on whatever she is saying but to be concerned on what he is going to say later.

 

“Are you okay? Are you listening to me?” She waved her hands across his face.

 

“U-uh? Y-yea I am listening.  You were gossiping about some guy in your office.”

 

“Yah, how could say that I am gossiping. I am just discussing bout them.” She tried to defend herself. “Chet you are no fun. Don’t wanna talk about this anymore.” Sulked EunJung and she gulp down the rest of her drink.

 

“Come on let’s go. I’ll bring you to somewhere else.” Jangwoo initiated to leave the restaurant.

 

“Huh? We are going somewhere else?” Her eyes sparkled as she heard him. She has been longing to go out since its Friday night. “Jangoonim, where are we going?”

 

*

 

Jangwoo parked his car at the roadside. He unfastens his seatbelt with a nervous hand. He spent the whole day waiting for this moment. He is ready for any outcome. “Come let’s get down here.”

 

EunJung looked out of the window with a sleepy look. “Han River? Why did you bring me here suddenly? To enjoy the night breeze?” She too unfastens her seatbelt and got out of his car.

 

He walked to the edge of the dock and sat down with his two leg hanging above the sea. He then took out the beer cans that he bought earlier.

 

“What’s the occasion?” She took the beer can and sat beside him.

 

“It’s been a long time since we came here together. Just the two of us.” He said as he drinks the beer slowly.

 

“Yea, it’s been a long time since we have sat down to talk like this. Ever since you have YooJin-ssi around you.” EunJung took a big gulp of her beer.

 

“What do you think of me as a man?” He asked abruptly.

 

“W-what? You as a man? Why do you ask that?”

 

“Just answer me. I want honest answers from you.”

 

“I think you are a great guy. You cook and take good care of family. Just a little too perfectionist sometimes. Any girl would be lucky to be with you.” She continued, “A perfect son-in-law.”

 

“I’ve never thought you would think so highly of me. You always argue a lot with me. I thought you hated me to guts.” Jangwoo explained.

 

“Yah, even though you are my enemy fifteen years ago, we are the best friend ever. What is best friend without arguments and fights?” She pats him on the back.

 

“What if I don’t wanna be best friend with you?” His voice trailed down.

 

Surprised by his statement, she took his head and head locked him under her arms, “Yah! Are you trying to ditch me?! You are not getting away cause I am gonna stick with you forever.”

 

“Yah you violent BaekGu! When did I say I want to ditch you??” He tried his best to escape from the taekwondo blackbelt’s head lock.

 

Loosening her grip, “Then what do you mean?”

 

*Cough, cough* “I-I just w-wanna be your b-boy f-friend.” He rubs his injured neck softly.

 

“Be my what? B-boyfriend? Yah, are you kidding with me?” EunJung burst into laughter.

 

“I mean it.”

 

Sensing his serious mood, she stopped laughing. “Y-yah, why are you like this suddenly?”

 

Jangwoo muttered up his courage and says the words that he had been keeping in his heart for some time. “I really mean what I say. Just like what I said yesterday over the food stall, I think I’ve fallen in love with you…I don’t know since when it started, I am concerned with your matters over mine…I don’t like you being around Tacyeon and I rejected YooJin because of this too. I don’t want us to be just friends…I want to see future between us.”

 

Overwhelmed by the sudden confession, EunJung replied, “Yah, how can you do this to me without any warning? I need some time to think this over. I wanna go. Bring me home now.” She stood up and walked back towards his car.

 

As he saw her backview furthering away, he gave out a weak smile. No matter what happens, he have done what he thinks is right. At least he won’t regret. Even at the risk of losing his best friend.

 

What’s wrong with this Lee Jangwoo? Did he just confess to me?? Did I rejected him? What am I supposed to do now? She bits her fingernails nervously. This is the first time she felt the awkwardness between them. As she got into the car, she laid back and pretended to fall asleep.

 

Jangwoo got into the car and looked at the ‘sleeping’ EunJung. “You don’t have to feel awkward. Just take it easily. I won’t force you to give me any answer now. We are still best friend, remember?”

 

“Just drive, will you? Leave me alone.” She said while closing her eyes tightly.

 

He shooked his head and started the car. He is determined to do whatever he can to let her accept him not as a friend but a man.

 

*********************************************************************************************************************************************