Applause Apple Cider

Kiss Cafe

 

Minzy sat on the stool and sighed, massaging her aching thighs underneath her waitress apron. It had been a long day, with only 5 hours of sleep, the usual stressful high school day, six classes in the day, and right after her shift was over she would go to dance and singing practice, which would probably run to 2 or 3 in the morning. In fact, every day was a long day, with an exception for Sundays. At least on those days there was difference in her routine. Her church was a sanctuary of peace, where one could finally let go of daily stresses for one morning. Especially the daunting fear that she would be rejected from debut, that she would only be a trainee. Even without her dream, life was tough. And as a freshman and watching juniors take their millions of tests, she had a feeling it wasn’t going to be easier.

Stop complaining, she scolded herself. All this practice is going to be worth it when you finally achieve your dream, of becoming a star.

At least YG let her keep tomboy look. She couldn’t see herself in short skirts, like some girl groups did these days. And she wasn’t the only one-CL encouraged her to keep up with the attitude. After all, Big Bang, the brother group, definitely had attitude. If a girl group was supposed to come up, the expectation would hold as well, according to the managers.

“Waitress!” Sighing again, Minzy put on a smile on her face and walked over to man and processed his check.

“Minzy!” She turned to see Bom walk in, waving with a smile as her red ponytail swished behind her. “How much longer until your shift is over?”

“Fifteen minutes. Aren’t you supposed to be at the karaoke place?” Minzy wiped down a table that some patrons recently left.

“They closed early. Something to do with the tax-collector business?” Bom shrugged, walking over to the newly installed counter. “Do you think if I worked at a health club, it would be easier to diet?”

Minzy looked at her during the second of silence, and they both laughed.

“Not a chance. You would get sick of that place after a minute.”

“After a second,” Bom countered as she swung her legs on a stool.

Minzy walked to behind the counter. “Can I get you anything?”

“Green Tea. Remember how our Japanese instructor raved about it during class last week?”

Minzy nodded and resisted the urge to scrunch her nose. Green tea had a milky look in the pictures last week. What kind of tea was mashed so finely like that? She liked teas that were just water that had been steeped in leaves, not powder dissolved. She took out the green tea pack, added hot water, and mixed it with a spoon. “Here you go,” she said as she handed the teacup over.

“Thanks.” Bom took the spoon and sipped a bit of it.

“Is it good?”

Bom tilted her head side to side. “So-so. Different than the tea we have here.” She put the spoon down, leaning closer. “But guess what?”

“Hmm?” Minzy asked as she slid a tray of dirty dishware through a slot where it would go to the room where the dishwasher and the sink is. He nodded to her and started washing.

“Yang Heun-Suk is releasing a girl group this year! And they’re going to be collaborating with Big Bang!”

Minzy rolled her eyes. “It’s about time and of course they would be collaborating! What company doesn’t group their artists together to increase fan support for both artists?”

“Of course, who knows if it’ll be in their first album, let alone the debut song. Who knows what the boss is thinking of?” Bom took a sip from her teacup. “Who do you think will be in it?”

“You of course. I mean come on, you’re one of the most experienced trainees in this place, you have the best voice, and you’ve already starred in a Big Bang music video.” Minzy wiped down a counter. “Me? I’m been part of the company for five years now and I haven’t been featured in anything.”

Bom shook her head. “Don’t say that. You’re one of the best dancers in YG besides Taeyang. You will be noticed. Trust me.”

Minzy sighed and sat down at a stool. “I know. I’m just being frustrated. I’ve been trying so hard to be the best like you have to be as a trainee, but the time you have to wait is so long!”

Bom nodded sympathetically. “At least you have time by your side, so that if you don’t debut with this group you can join another company,” she pointed out.

Minzy gave a harsh laugh. “Yeah, and still inexperienced.” She stood up, wincing as her legs protested. “I got to get back to work.”

“Cheer up-you only have ten minutes now.” Bom took a long sip from her cup. “I’ll wait for you to finish.”

Minzy gave a tired, grateful smile, before walking toward to a table that had just been occupied. “Welcome to Kiss Café! I’m Minzy and I’ll be your waitress for today. How may I help you?”

The moment right after Minzy hung up her apron and changed into her practice clothes, Bom grabbed her hand and rushed her out of the door.

“Unnie!” Minzy gasped. Her legs were complaining again. “Slow down! Why are you in such a hurry?”

“Trainee interviews!” Bom yelled back. “I’m trying to get your legs warmed up so that you’ll be in less pain when you stretch!”

“Right,” Minzy muttered, and willed her legs to keep up. She couldn’t help but watch in awe as Bom weaved through the crowds, paving a way for them, her ponytail bobbing as they ran.

Finally they arrived at the side of the YG building. Bom quickly punched in the code, and they continued their fast pace. Somehow their feet didn’t make a clatter, Minzy observed, only thumps on the wooden floor. Thank god for sneakers.

“Bom unnie, Minzy! What’s the rush?” Dara asked after coming out of the physical training room, and started running with them.

“Trainee interviews!” Minzy panted.

“Minzy’s legs are also sore!” Bom said, her voice steady. Of course vocalists had stronger lungs and would have less trouble.

Finally they stopped outside the rehearsal room as a vocal warm-up ended. CL leaned out of the door, breathing a little hard. “You guys are actually early!” She said, her voice deeper than usual, which usually resulted from her warming up her vocal cords. Her eyebrows rose in astonishment. “But why are you all panting?”

Minzy rested her hands on her knees, trying to catch her breath as Dara, less fatigued, explained.

“Oh, you poor girl,” CL said, taking Minzy’s hands. “Come on, stretch with me.”

Minzy sighed and stifled a whimper as she sank into a split. CL led through both legs after she went as far as she could on her stomach, hamstring stretches, butterflies, Achilles Tendon stretches, then lunges. Bom and Sandara went through their vocal warm-up in the background.

“I’m so jealous,” Bom commented when Minzy bent over and easily touched the floor with both palms.

Minzy then went backwards until her palms gingerly touched the floor, her back delicately arched. She crawled forward on her hands, going far as she could close to her feet. Then she got back up and popped her arms, then her legs, and then her whole body. Warmth rushed through her body-she was fully functional again.

“Alright guys!” The interview director came up, followed by the camera crew. “I hope you’re all prepared for today. Let’s get started!”

CL first went, displaying her vocals as she sang R&B, her expressive cat eyes filled with emotion. Minzy looked on, jealous. A fantastic rapper with great vocals was always to be envied-like G-Dragon.

G-Dragon? Suddenly something caught Minzy’s eye and her head turned. Big Bang had entered the room silently and now was watching the trainees perform.

Once CL finished, the boys whooped. The rest trainees smiled and laughed as they applauded while CL gave a dramatic bow.

G-Dragon walked over. “How’s it going?”

Minzy shrugged. “Nervous.” But seriously, she was more than nervous. Her hands had gone clammy and frozen, useless behind her back. Her whole body had tensed up as she watched CL effortlessly went through her performance. It was a miracle she was still standing, even if most of her weight was against the wall behind her.

G-Dragon imitated her pose, bending his leg to rest his foot against the wall, his palms also resting on the flat surface. “Hey,” he said, elbowing her slightly. “How long have you been practicing on this routine?”

“Uh…” she shook her head. “I don’t know, for days, weeks. I’ve lost track of how many.”

“See? You’re ready. If your mind can’t keep up, your body is fine without it,” he reassured her. “Just let your body go when the music plays.”

She turned her head, meeting him straight in the eyes. “But what if I stumble like last time?” She whispered. “I can’t-I don’t want to risk my traineeship just for a simple mistake.  And I know this time if I do, Yang Heun Suk will definitely kick me out.”

He crossed his arms. “So what? Don’t focus on the mistakes you’ll make, the risks you’re taking, the debut that is so close yet so far, then you’ll make them. Think about it this way-don’t think of pink elephants.”

Minzy gave him a look.

G-Dragon grinned. “I bet you thought about pink elephants, anyway right? So think about what you want to happen-The awesome dance performance you’re going to give, and how you’re going to blow away Yang Heun Suk that he’ll have to debut you.” He walked so now that he was standing front of her. “All these years are not going to waste-you hear me? Girl, you have the potential, the talent, and the hard work-you will get it. Trust me.”

“Minzy!” Dara called. “It’s your turn!”

G-Dragon clasped her left shoulder. “You’re going to do just fine,” he said calmly. “Now go out there and wow them.”

Minzy took a deep breath and stepped forward until she reached the middle of the dance floor. She nodded to the guy near the stereo, who her song. She dipped her head down, eyes focused on the floor-the ready position.

As the song began, her body began to move on its own. Her legs started pumping to the beat. And she brought her head up as hips twisted to the side. Pop, pop as the rhythm beat against the stereo. Minzy almost smiled-in anxiety, she had forgotten how much dancing was fun for her.

As if she was a marionette, her feet began to move, her arms exploring the space around her as she moved across the room. But her limbs were not heavy, like a doll’s. Instead, they seemed to have a mind of their own, making intricate shapes, telling stories through movement. During a familiar beat of her dance music, Minzy’s face broke out into a smile.

Finally the song ended, and her body folded itself into the familiar position she had always ended with in practice, even though usually her teacher would call out in the middle to correct her position. But now, there were no mistakes, just the steadiness of her body and her mind being free.

The other trainees started to clap and whoop as she bowed to the camera, which seemed like the right thing to do.

She started to shake as she walked back to the edges of the room. In fact it got so bad, she ran right out to the water fountain.

“Whoah, are you okay?” G-Dragon asked, as he caught up to her.

She had been gulping down the freezing-cold liquid, just to try to stop the shaking. “Y-Yeah,” she managed to say as she stood up, her knees knocking together.

“No you’re not.”

“I’m fine!” She insisted. “I-I just need something warm to drink.”

He grabbed her arm. “Come on. I know the perfect place.”

*

“Wait, seriously, you work at this place?” G-Dragon said as he came back two steaming mugs.

Minzy laughed, finally relaxing as she sat. “Yeah, I do.”

“Man, I would love to work here-if I wasn’t already doing what I love,” he added with a grin. “Here.” He slid one of the mugs to her.

She looked at the amber liquid. “Um…”

“Just take a sip. If you don’t like it, I’ll get the regular coffee or whatever.”

Minzy shrugged and picked the mug up. Flavors of cinnamon and apple bubbled on her tongue. Her eyes widened. “Is this…apple?”

G-Dragon grinned. “Apple Cider, or as they say here, Applause Apple Cider. It comes in fancy bottles in the States,” he said. “And after that performance today, you definitely deserve applause.” He raised his mug. “Cheers?”

She lifted hers in response with a smile, clinking the cups together. “Cheers.” They both raised the cups to their lips.

Minzy closed his eyes as she put down the cup with a grateful sigh. The warmth of the cinnamon and the apple had rushed down and down into her stomach, steadying her upper body. Now the tingle in her feet and hands was not as overpowering as before.

“So,” G-Dragon said, leaning forward on the table. “What are you going to do after you debut?”

“Don’t jinx it.” Minzy the napkin with her right index finger.

“You will debut.” G-Dragon insisted. “Even if YG somehow, if they’re out of their right minds, kicks you out, you’re good enough to debut at some other company.”

“Prove that to me.”

G-Dragon leaned back in his chair, crossed his arms, and thought for a moment. “Aha!” He sat up. “Hyunseung.”

“What about him?” Instantly the image of the shy boy who had a passion for a dancing like hers popped up into Minzy’s mind. He had disappeared after Seungri took his spot from Big Bang. Otherwise, she hadn’t really known him.

G-Dragon gazed out at the window, then back at her. “After he left the company, we still somewhat kept in touch,” he said softly, his eyes misting over. Somehow he looked up with a smile. “He went to Cube Entertainment-and he’s apparently one of the top trainees. I’m not surprised if he debuts soon.”

She nodded.

He leaned forward again. “All, I’m saying is, is that…” He clasped and unclasped his hands. “It’s not the end of the world,” he finally said. “You’re always going to get another chance. And Minzy-you have the talent and effort needed for a star. Just promise me-never give up on yourself.”

Minzy smiled and drained the cup. “I won’t, oppa.”

He stood up, his cup already empty. Minzy stood up too, and followed him to the door.

“Well, I have a show to do,” G-Dragon said as he turned to face her.

“And I have dance practice.”

They looked at each other for a second. Then G-Dragon grabbed her head and kissed her forehead.

“You’re are going to go places, Minzy, I know it.”

~

As Minzy survey the crowded room, she sighed. A plane flight and jet lag could do that to a person, not mention being sleep-deprived. When did she ever get enough sleep? It was probably when she was in America or during the holidays.

“Minzy?”

“Jiyoung oppa!” She turned around and hugged him.

“How’s my favorite dongseng?” He said with a smile.

“Great, you?” She frowned slightly. “What’s up with your hair?”

“What?” He patted his curly bowl cut.

“It’s like actually normal.” She grinned as she dodged a playful swat from him.

“Places people!” A director yelled in Japanese and the idols sat on the white benches beside the new logo of YGEX.

Minzy smiled. Even if she was exhausted, she wouldn’t trade places with anyone for anything.

*

Hey guys! Finally back!

Sorry, had total writer’s block and a bunch of music competitions after the AP’s. >.< Not to mention MORE music stuff (auditions and competitions) and finals coming up in the next two weeks as everyone tries to get everything done. Man, I wish I didn’t procrastinate… >.<

Anyway, so I felt like writing something not very romantic cuz let’s face it-not everything in life is about romance. Well, hopefully not. If it is for you, maybe you should see a psychiatrist…JUST KIDDING. SERIOUSLY. Now put that club down.

Also I read Insurgent and got really sad how I fail at writing action-packed romances that are either science fiction or fantasy…WHICH I LOVE READING, btw. (If you haven’t read Divergent, which is the first book of that series, GO READ IT NOW. I promise you-it’s like a female Percy Jackson series. That good.)

So I hope y’all will have a great summer while I try to get my life under control so I can take a break once vacation starts…ah…

BTW who here lives in Europe? Anyone? Cuz I’m going there on June 9th-like right after my finals. >.< I swear my parents want to kill me or something.

Anyway, <3 ya! Happy reading!