Chapter Six

All is Fair in Love and War

 

 

Mai and Taemin eventually parted ways at the locker rooms. The past hour had been replaying in her mind. From the moment she literally bumped into Kai to the grin he had one his face before she left Elijah's classroom, it all just continually flashed before her eyes. There was no way for her to push aside what could possibly happen in the near future. Nothing would have been able to prepare her for this moment.

Pushing aside the grand doors, the immediate chatter of other girls flooded her ears. One thing she loathed the most was having to hear the latest round of rumours; most of which involved her in some way. She couldn't even escape them in any possible way because her old friends had drawn so much attention from both gender populations. Having told those who crowded around her earlier today that she had truly known them, really foiled her plans of keeping some sort of distance. Not like that would have even worked anyways. None of the boys would have even let her have her own bubble to breathe in. What sort of surprised her was the fact how Kai didn't correct Taemin's assumption of not knowing who Mai was. Why would he go along with it?

The echoed laughs and yells in the room was beginning to hurt Mai's ears. Human girls really loved to talk—about everything. A few of them actually had the courage to converse with her, but most just kept their distance while admiring her from afar. She couldn't even call any one of the girls a true 'friend' of hers. Overall there weren't a lot of kids actually in this period of Physical Education with less than two hundred. Take into account that many of them were in one of the classifications known as 'Athletics' which means an hour long practice with the sports team they were associated to. So that leaves about fifty kids just doing whatever their teacher said was the sport of the week.

The dark red eyed girl made her way to her locker, pulling out the needed clothes to suit the dress code. She sort of cringed at the disbelief of having to run around school with short navy blue shorts and a black vneck; when the weather got cooler, she stormed the gymnasium in the same coloured sweatpants. In her eyes, it wasn't very athletic at all, but how could she even argue with the dress code? Mai hurriedly changed her shoes to the appropriate white running shoes with the same coloured socks. In reality, she could walk around campus with what she was wearing now, since it was a part of the dress code technically; but who would even do such a thing? Pushing all of her regular uniform into her gym locker, Mai made sure it was extremely secure before rushing off onto the track field with the rest of her class.

It was an extremely bright day to be outside. The blue sky opened up with just a few clouds to act as shade for those who need it. No one could even feel cool in this weather. Warmth immediately tickled her nose and flooded her overall system the moment she stepped foot outside. Hurriedly following behind the other girls, Mai soon found herself in the field right next to the track course. Their teacher was going on and on about how that day was a 'do whatever you want' day.

Earth's idea of sports was nothing compared to what she and the other Princes played back at their galaxy. And things back there got extremely competitive. A small smile lined across her face upon remembering the happiest moments she had ever had with the boys.  Not really paying that much attention to her surroundings due to her constant reminiscing, someone crashed right into her.

"Are you okay?" the tall, handsome boy questioned Mai as he took a step back to examine her for any apparent injuries. He had big, wide eyes and a perfect smile formed across his absolutely flawless face. She should have been able to name him in an instant. 

Mai patted herself down before replying with a grin of her own. "No harm done. I should have been paying attention. I'm sorry for getting in your way—"

"Minho," he identified himself for her.

The moment he said his name, a bell rung in Mai's head. Of course! This was the Minho. She was looking up at him, just about the same amount as she would towards Sehun. "Minho... as in the soccer captain and current national record holder in running, Minho?"

"So you've heard of me," the tall male laughed under his breath. He slightly stretched, his biceps contracting to show off his toned physique. "An honour. Seems like everyone knows of you, Miss Mai."

"You're two years ahead of me," she recalled just how old he may be, "such a surprise for me to be known by someone like you."

A light breeze swept through the field. Minho got a light smell of Mai's scent, a mixture of citrus and sweets, which quickly infatuated him. Something was extremely interesting about this girl, and he was determined to find out just what about her intrigued him dearly.

The very skilled and athletic college student stretched once more. This time extending his hands at a higher up position—exposing the hard and deep contours of his abs to all that was watching—which included the entire student population that could even see them. Mai instantly coughed into her hand and looked away as fast as she could. His mediocre approach to seeing a reaction from her pleased Minho.

"I apologize for interrupting your run," Mai lightly bowed, taking a step back to find some other place to get lost in memories.

Scanning the girl in front of him fully, Minho's eyes trailed from her glorious brown locks down to her extremely white sneakers. He took note of how she was the perfect height to him, and even had the right amount of curves about her body. Her legs weren't too skinny or too muscular, adding onto the healthy composure she held herself at. What really captivated the popular male was her deep red eyes. She had to be begging for someone to just whisk her away in her P.E. uniform, easily.

Trying to avoid the need to his lips due to his thoughts, he replied, "You didn't interrupt anything. I was just doing a light jog. It's about time to take a break, anyways. Are you headed somewhere in particular?"

Mai paid close attention to his movements, especially his eyes. She couldn't help but roll her own when she realized that he was observing her every asset, right in front of her. At least the other guys in school would do so from a distance, or at least when she wasn't looking at them straightforwardly.

A new figure, someone extremely uncomfortable by how Minho was eyeing Mai, approached the duo. He was just a smidge taller than Minho himself. With his hands in the pockets of his baggy sweatpants, he definitely had a mission in mind. There would be no viewing Mai in that sense, not while he was around, that's for sure.

"Actually, she's already headed somewhere with me," the deep voiced person lightly growled. His tone completely contrasted his youthful appearance, alongside his wide eyes and large lips.

Mai mentally thanked Chanyeol for his timing, but was well aware of how out of control things can get if he isn't calmed down. A fire may just ignite itself in the general vicinity—like Minho's clothes or his hair for example. She bowed once more to Minho, before nodding in agreement. "I'm sorry, but Chanyeol is correct. I'll... I'll just see you around, okay, Minho?"

Minho sighed in disbelief. This just wasn't his time to put his charm on Mai. But that didn't mean he was going to give up. He had a new mission of his own; and his determination drives him to stop at nothing until it's achieved. "Alright then; I understand. I'll catch you later, Mai." He bolted off back along the course of the track.

"You should really be more careful," Chanyeol attempted his words to be in a whisperlike fashion. It doesn't really work when your voice is at the octave his is in. "That guy gave me the creeps."

Mai turned to look at her friend, the second tallest Prince of all. "Judging from how you're treating me, it seems as though Kai has already spoken to you."

He chuckled under his breath. "News, especially anything relating to you, gets around fast with us. It's nice to know that we weren't stupid enough to enroll in the wrong school."

"For the record, I can take care of myself. I've done a great job handling any problems for the past two earth years here."

"You wouldn't know how to push him off of you if he were to subdue your petite frame."

"You need to get your head out of the gutter."

"You need to wear some real clothes."

"What are you, my brother?!"

"I might as well be, since you obviously don't understand the real intentions of people's actions!"

Mai realized that she was drawing more attention to them by raising her voice, and so she gathered her emotions before straightening up. "And you—what are your true motives behind enrolling in the same school as me?"

"That isn't for me to reveal," he told her. Chanyeol understood why she was lowering her town. "But don't think that we have impure intentions for you."

"You could have easily just swept me away, or even used Kai to teleport me back home."

"Precisely. Don't you see we are making an attempt to show our reasons to you? It could have all been so easy."

Mai heaved a sigh. His words were correct. It was painfully too easy for Kai to just utilize his planet's specialty and return her to her home with no problems or complications. For them to not resort to that method, reflects the time frame they had. Each of them had close to three years to really convince her to return before the wedding date would pass. Had they been more desperate with a tighter time constraint, this conversation would be extremely difficult.

"Okay," she confessed to her old friend, "you've captured my attention with your logic."

Chanyeol reached out for her wrist, grasping onto it lightly, before proceeding to drag her to the nearest shady area. A lot of glares were shot at the duo as they made the hasty travel. In the eyes of the male students that surrounded them: What sort of person does that tall guy think he is to just force Mai to go somewhere with him? And in the eyes of the female students: What sort of relationship does she really have with him, or the other new students?

Mai kept her eyes locked on his dark brown hair, with hints of lighter shades underneath. Once they reached the large tree, she sat down comfortably as he settled right beside her. She looked out into the distance, noticing how even Minho couldn't stop looking at her. Taemin was also talking to his own group of friends, all of which were keeping their eyes locked on the two of them. Chanyeol stretched his back, laying his hands out behind him comfortably.

"Why did you leave?"

She lowered her eyes, staring down at her feet. Once she replied, closed on her. She never thought of having to explain herself to any of them. "I'm not being forced into a marriage."

"Not even if it's with one of us?"

"It's not that," she grinned at how ridiculous her sudden leave may have seemed to the rest of the universe. "I know in the eyes of others it looks like I'm running away from a wonderful marriage with one of the lovely, handsome, powerful Princes of the EXO galaxy. But... why am I the one who has to be wedded away? I didn't partake in the war. I didn't kill anyone. But why does it feel like I'm being punished for something our parents started?"

"You know, a marriage is a two way commitment," he strangely was capable of whispering this in her ear. "Whoever was planned to marry you is also promising a lifetime by your side."

"But don't we all have different plans? I mean, look at you. You wanted to become an ambassador, right? But if you were to wed me, you'd be forced to stay Ignis for the rest of your life as opposed to traveling the galaxies extending peace and honour."

"Spending the rest of my years being able to brag to others that the beautiful, headstrong Princess Mai of Amatorius was my wife," Chanyeol stared right back at the sun, "is a real positive outcome to the marriage."

She nodded her head in disbelief. "You're not seeing it from my point of view."

"Then really explain it to me," he replied.

"I want to do so much. I want to travel the galaxies like you. I want to see the universe on my own. Once you're married and have a family, you have to look at everything as it may affect you all as a group. It's not like I'll never fall in love, or get married, or have children; but not now. Not while I haven't lived."

"Didn't we all plan to do that together though? Spend however many months in this planet and in that one."

"We were fifty when we agreed on that."

"You made us promise. And promises aren't meant to be broken."

A light scoff escaped her lips. She was always a stickler on keeping one's word. "Okay, you've got me there. Two strikes."

"Never knew I'd be capable of silencing your Royal Highness," a haughty laugh presented itself from his light pink lips.

"You've certainly gotten a whole lot more clever over the years," she admitted as the wind continued to breeze through the field. "Since you got to ask me a question, I get to ask my own."

Chanyeol nodded in agreement, "Hit me with your best shot."

"Why are you guys here? As a group I mean. I was prepared to handle one or two of you, if you were to go looking for me. But all of you. At once. You can't tell me its all coincidence."

"I'm pretty sure it isn't. We didn't come here together, but are split into two groups."

"Kris' and Suho's," I identified the clear leaders.

"Precisely."

"Why?"

A flash of all sorts of memories swept through Chanyeol's mind. He was immediately reminded of the fights that ensued between them after she had disappeared. And how the violence rose over time. None of them knew how to properly handle the situation, and soon two opposing view points were concluded. And sides were chosen. It was an extremely messy... war on its own.

"There were differing opinions on the reason you left and how to find you and what to do once you were found by anyone. We fell apart."

A jolt of pain attacked Mai right in her heart. Realizing that keeping shut about leaving really drove a stake through their friendship pained her. She was so focused on how the marriage was going to ruin her life, that she completely forgot about how her escape would affect the others. "I'm not going back, Chan."

"Whoever said that we were forcing you to do so?" The tall alien stood up immediately, stretching out his arms and legs before waving goodbye to the surprised Princess. "I've said too much. I'm really going to hear it from Suho later, but oh well. What's done is done. Catch you later, Mai!"

Mai just continued to keep her eyes locked on him. There was an air of confidence that exuded from him with every step he took. It was certainly refreshing. He will always be one of the more awkward members, alongside D.O. and Beakhyun. But if his words were true, and they weren't going to force her to go back home; then why were they here in the first place?

And how did they even find her?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
whoa. I'm definitely making it up with these constant updates, right?  lol. I hope you guys like this! I've decided to make SHINee members have roles in this story, hopefully it matches up to their personalities correctly. (: Tell me what you guys think, and leave them in the comments! I love seeing your opinions!

@twinkletoes--the missions will be a secret for now hehehhe. but I like your eye on Elijah; I'll tell you, you're heading in the right direction with your suspicions. (: oooohhhh. thanks for leaving a comment!