Trouble

Not Good Enough

 

 

 

 

I enter the lift and press the number 4, following the instructions of the receptionist. I try to concentrate on what my room could be like and what my dorm mates will be like, but I can’t. I just can’t stop thinking about what Chanyeol said... I understand that he hates me and all, I mean, I was pretty hostile towards the idea of this as well, but, I really don’t want it to be like this. I wish he liked me and that we’d get along and I suppose, live happily ever after. I sound so childish...

The lift door opens and I stroll through the corridor, looking for Room 8. I keep thinking as I walk: What if I’m in the same classes as him? Wait, he’s older so he wouldn’t be... What if –

“Room 8!” I shout to myself as I notice the bright blue door with the number 8 written on it. I look back through the corridor and realise there’s only two doors on this room - 7 and 8. Shouldn’t there be more? I thought I’d have lots of dorm mates but it looks like I’ll only have a few. I put in the numbers the receptionist had told me into the keypad by the door. It makes a clicking sound so I open the door and step in.

It’s eerily quiet and I feel awkward standing in front of the door. I close it quietly and call out.

Hello, anyone here?”

There’s no response. I walk forward and look at what seems to be a kitchen and living room. There are two doors to the right and to the left of the living room, but I decide to look around the kitchen first. I notice the fridge, which is probably double my height and walk towards it. I hear a beeping to my right; it’s coming from the phone. There must be a message. I decide not to listen to it, after all, it’s probably not for me and I don’t even live here yet. I head towards the living room but my foot gets caught on the handle of one of the cupboards. I fall to my left and grab onto the counter for help. My arm gets wrapped around a wire and the phone tumbles down beside me onto the floor. There’s another beep and the phone says, ‘Message 1.” I instantly scowl at the wire - because of it, the ‘Listen’ button on the phone must have been pressed.  A slightly high pitched voice erupts from the phone’s speakers:

Hey guys! Remember, today we’re getting our new roomie! She’s mine~ I need to go get her stuff from the SM building, so I need you guys to do some things for me, OK? Firstly, AeCha, ChoonHee, CLEAN YOUR ROOM! We want to make a good first impression, don’t we? And HeRan and HaNeul, don’t forget to go shopping. We’re running out of food and I’m already hungry! The newbie should get here two hours after we finish school, but Shou told me she’ll probably get here a bit earlier. She’s Japanese like him so her Korean speaking isn’t great though she should be able to understand us. If you meet her first, be nice, OK?”

There’s a pause.

Or I’ll hurt you! From ChoHee!”

There’s another beep, I assume to tell me that the message has ended. I don’t really know how to react to that... Well, I know who all the girls are now at least and they’re probably still all at school. Ah, what should I do now? Chanyeol’s words echo into my head again, “I hate her.” I lean back against the counter, frustrated that I can’t stop thinking about his feelings - what’s wrong with me? I realise I’m still on the floor. I hold the phone in one hand, drag myself up and put the phone back, neatly, onto the black marble counter.  I walk into the living room. There are two three - seater sofas - both a pale grey and piled with pillows - facing each other. They are placed against the walls, which are painted a dark brown. The floor is laminated with warm, brown wood, the same colour as a table placed between the two tables. There is a TV and computer towards the far end of the room, with grey beanbags scattered around them. I decide to take a seat on one of the sofas and wait for someone to come by.

 

 

There’s a click from the doors and I get up, fix the sofa and head towards the door. I see a tall girl, leaning on the door, breathing heavily. She has both of my suitcases with her and has her eyes closed. She’s wearing black ballet shoes, with black tights and a bright pink dress with a black jumper underneath. She doesn’t seem to notice me so I stand in front of her, waiting for her.

Hello,” I say. Her eyes flicker open and she looks at me, gasping. She rushes towards me and hugs me hard.

Oh, you’re Aya, right? I’m Lee ChoHee, I’ll be your new roommate,” she says letting go of me.

Oh, wait, here’s your stuff,” she says, pointing to my luggage. I make my way to get to them, but she stops me. “Hey, there’s no need for that just yet! How are you? Do you know what I’m saying?

Yes,” I reply, nodding my head.

Ah, Shou told me about you, he said he’ll teach you to speak Korean, is that right?

I nod again.

So... Umm, is there anything you want to ask or...?

I shake my head but say, “Do you know... my...” I pause, trying to remember the words, “lessons?

Oh, no, sorry! Not yet. I have to go get your timetable tomorrow... You won’t have any lessons until the day after that so don’t worry! I’ll get you prepared for everything.

“OK,” I say, hoping she understands.

So you speak English and Japanese... We can do this!” she randomly yells. “Ah, ignore that, sorry!” she rubs her arm awkwardly.

Anyways, I suppose it’s up to me to tell you everything... where to start?” she mutters to herself. “Oh! So, I am 22 years old, or is it 21 for my international age...? Agh... Well, I was born on the 13th of September 1990, so make what you will of that. I’m the oldest here, so if you need any help, I’ll probably be the most useful,” she laughs.

Park HaNeul is the second oldest, she was on June 16th 1991 and her roommate Choi HeRan was born on July 1st 1991. Umm, after that is... Kim AeCha, who was born on January 28th 1993 and her roommate is my little sister, Lee ChoonHee who was born on December 14th 1993, she’s the youngest here. What about you?

I smile awkwardly realising I’m the youngest.

I was... born on... September... 15th.

Yay! We’re month - buddies!” ChoHee screams. “Don’t worry about being the youngest, after all, you’re going to be my roommate, so if anyone says anything to you, let me know! I’m here to help!” she smiles.

I’m being serious, you know?” she whispers, her smile disappearing. “Shou and I are pretty close, he told me about your marriage and everything... None of the other girls will know, so don’t worry about that... As far as I know, in this school, only me, you, Shou, Chanyeol and EXO will know. Look, I know you’re doing this to save your Grandpa, but you don’t need to suffer for this, OK? I’ll do anything I can to help you.” She hugs me again and I feel slightly embarrassed by her affection, but I’m grateful for her care. I hug her back and she releases me again.

Do you... know... Cha-

I’m cut off by a knock on the door.

Let me in! I want to see my baby Aya~

Shou. I roll my eyes.

ChoHee opens the door and Shou steps in; he grabs my wrist, yells “She’s mine!” and drags me away. I look to ChoHee for help but she says, “Korean lessons!” Oh, he’s taking me for my lessons, I get it - but, “Why are you dragging me?” I yell. Shou stops, shrugs and lets go. We walk back out of the building and he questions me about how I’m finding my dorm. I assume we’re going back to the park, but then we turn away from it.

“Where are we going?”

“To the school,” he replies simply.

I follow him, not questioning his weirdness. The school is huge and it takes 5 minutes for us just to get to the front entrance. We walk in and Shou walks me through a series of corridors. We stop outside a large, empty hall. It’s decorated with mirrors along all of the walls - it must be a dance studio. I step in and look around, amazed.

“Am I going to have a lesson in here?” I ask.

“Sort of,” Shou says, avoiding my eyes.

“What do you mean?” I ask, worried.

Shou suddenly pushes me onto the floor and I close my eyes with pain. I feel a gush of air and look beside me, there’s a boy here, but it’s not Shou. I look up again; Shou is standing with 11 other people - EXO. Wait, is this a set up? I glare at Shou, I don’t want to see Chanyeol, he hates me. Why would Shou do this?

He closes the door swiftly, it’s a translucent sliding door and I can see, partially, all 12 figures outside.

“Shou!” I yell, not knowing what else to say.

“I have to, Mum said you have to get along, so I have to MAKE you. I’m sorry, I don’t have a choice.” He whispers.

I see the figures walk away and I look back at Chanyeol. He still has his back facing towards me, but I can see his reflection in the mirror. His head is faced down and his cap is covering his face from view.

He looks up at me through the mirror.

You heard me talking to Suho hyung, right?

I can’t stop myself from nodding.

Then you know I hate you. I’ll go through with this, but only for the members, not for you.

What do the members have to do with this?

They don’t even know why... they’re so clueless.

I don’t know why you’re doing this either.

We might be married, but you’re on your own. Don’t expect anything from me.”

He gets up and walks to the opposite side of the room. He leans against the mirror and closes his eyes.

 

 

 

(I feel like more happened in this chapter than the last, so I hope you guys liked it! I've been watching the showcase! CHANYEOL <3 Though all of them are so *^* I realised how annoying it is to have to change all the Korean speech to green... it's gonna be such a pain if Aya learns to speak Korean properly... *sigh* Keep comenting guys :D And thankyou readers and subscribers! 14 subscribers :) So tired... must do my the homework I have for my tutor *sigh* I should've done it first, right? but I'm too lazy XD Must hurry, so I doubt I'll be on here again til tomorrow! I might, if I finish it all though, which I hopefully will XD My arms dying T_T What am I gonna do? :/ I've been listening to EXO - K History through the whole of this, so tomorrow, I'm gonna do it with EXO - M's History XD I wanna be fair to both groups since theyre so frikkin adorable <3 )