Dark Blood

Dark Blood

Morning came, and I am back in the forest. I train for the next two hours with my wushu sword, then I begin trying different martial arts. It was about time for the trespasser to appear.

Slightly alert, I started to casually walk beside the river. I was waiting for my opponent to make a move as I kept my exterior looking defenseless.

I departed into the river and started to wash my bare arms and chest, still bluffing. I bent over and was midway to washing my shoulders when the girl made her approach. She started gliding stealthily from behind me, but I still kept up my facade.

I initiated a stretching motion and the girl paused in her tracks. 'Wrong move, Tao!' I thought to myself.

I glanced at her in my peripheral vision and noticed something glinting in the sunlight. The gleam had come from an object in her hand. It was a dagger.

Tensing up, I came to my senses and full alert. She had realized that my disguise hadn't noticed her and advanced forward.

Accidentaly, I tilted my head in her direction and she took off running. I cursed under my breath. 'Twice! Twice I had screwed up!' My teacher would have said something along the lines of, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me" except this time I had fooled myself.

I ran after her. She was fast but there were obstacles in her way that slowed her down a little. I was close to her, close enough to see her sleek, black hair cascade around her. It was mesmerizing.

The girl frantically ran up a steep hill, then jumped down over the other side. Her movements were so graceful. So beautiful. I continued to chase after her, but by the time I was on top of the hill she was already halfway to the end of the field below.

I crouched down and studied her physique until she was out of sight.

Why did she keep coming here? I know she is trying to assassinate me, but did someone send her? The scenario itself was exhilarating and I haven't had this much fun is such a long while.

Usually when something like this happens, I tend to move locations. But this time I couldn't. I'm being drawn to this forest and that mysterious girl. I didn't want to leave.