Don't Cry

Don't Cry

 

One hundred days into his time on this world, Kai saw a girl cry. He had never seen such a thing happen before. He had seen the inhabitants of the world upset, angry, happy, excited, and dazed. But never before had he witnessed a thing such as this. Sticking to the shadows of the trees, Kai watched the girl closely. She simply sat there, face buried in her hands.

Stepping out of the shadows, Kai slowly approached the bench the girl was sitting on. She didn’t look up. He sat down on the opposite end of the bench. She still didn’t look up. Kai cleared his throat. Finally, she looked up. This girl didn’t look quite the same as the others he had seen. Her eyes were pale blue, her hair the same color as fire. But she did not echo the curiosity that he felt. She didn’t even smile. The girl simply glared at him, wiping at the tears that slid down her cheeks.

“What are you doing?” It was such a simple question, Kai thought. He was confused as to what was going on after all. When the girl didn’t answer immediately, he reached out and brushed his fingers against her damp cheek. She immediately slapped his hand away and flinched, a strange expression on her face.

Without answering his question, she got up and left. Kai stared after her, watching her shaking shoulders until she disappeared from sight.

- - - - - -

“I saw something strange tonight.”

“What did you see?”

“There was a girl sitting in the park. She had water leaking out of her eyes, and when I asked her what she was doing, she left.”

“That’s because she was crying, Kai.”

“What is that?”

“You don’t know what crying is?”

“No. I’ve never seen someone do it before.”

“When someone is sad, they cry. The water that runs down their face is called tears.”

“Huh.”

Silence.

“How do you make someone stop crying?”

“Well, there are a lot of ways. But it depends on the person. Only a few things can make a person stop crying. You just have to follow your heart and choose the right option.”

“But how will I know the right option?”

“You just will, Kai. Now go deliver this to Kris.”

“… Okay.”

- - - - - -

Two nights later, she was there again. Kai appeared in the park in a small cloud of smoke, the wind quickly blowing it away. Stepping forward, he sat down next to the girl again. She made strange noises as the tears slid down her face, and Kai fiddled with his sleeves. Once again, she ignored him. So he slowly moved closer. She didn’t move away.

“You’re crying.”

The girl looked up at him, her eyes bloodshot and puffy. She sniffled, wiping at her nose with the back of her hand. As an answer, she simply shrugged and quickly wiped away fresh tears that rolled down her cheeks.

“… Why are you sad?”

Letting out a soft snort, the girl shook her head and stood up to leave. Kai appeared in front of her, making her jump and cry out. He reached out and grabbed her wrist, his eyes wide. The girl tried to pull away but he tightened his grip, furrowing his eyebrows.

"Stop crying."

The girl glared at him and tried to get out of his grip again. But he shook his head and grabbed her other wrist. He wanted to help her, to make her stop crying. If she got away, he couldn't do anything.

"Please. I want to help."

Something must have helped his case, because she stopped struggling. Blowing a few strands of hair out of her eyes, she carefully slipped her wrists out of his grip and wrapped her arms around herself. Tears began to spill down her face again and Kai bent down so he could look her in the eye. What could he do to help? He could dance. He was good at dancing, and it had cheered up one of his brothers before. So he began to dance for her, his moves slow and gentle, moving around her in a careful circle. She simply stared at him, confused as to what he was doing.

Dancing obviously wasn't going to work. So Kai began to sing softly to her, taking one of her hands in his. When he noticed her shoulders shaking again, he guided her into a slow dance, his free hand resting on her shoulder and moving her ever so gently. Her crying got louder and she stopped dancing, burying her face in her hands. Her entire body shook with sobs now, and it looked as if she was going to collapse at any second.

So Kai did the one thing his mind could come up with at that moment. He reached out and pulled her into a tight embrace, tucking her head under his chin and wrapping an arm securely around her waist. He felt her knees give out and held her up, humming softly and continuing to support her. Surprisingly, she wrapped her arms around him as well and buried her face in his chest, her sobs near hysterical. But she would not let him go, even when he tried to pull away. She kept her grip on him, crying into his chest. And so Kai simply held her until the crying stopped.

When the tears stopped falling, the girl pulled away from Kai and wiped at her face with her sleeves. He smiled, and she smiled back. Reaching out, he wiped at her cheek with his thumb and let out a soft chuckle.

"You stopped."

- - - - - - 

A/N: Yep, that's it. Short and not very good, but it was sort of therapy writing for me. May or may not expand this into a legit story. I'm not entirely sure yet. Anyone else excited for EXO's debut? Because I want that album so badly it hurts.