I'll Be Your Oppa (Vol. 1)

WhiteRose Oneshots and Drabbles Collection

So....Another SHINee oneshot series...Me and my obsessed mind. *face palms*

Anyway, this is going to be a family, fluff, angst (?), and a sometimes depressing story, mostly about Taemin, but easily about the other members as well. So here's the plot.

A little 6 year old (7 by the Lunar Calender) girl named Jung MaeRin arrived with her older brother and American mother in Seoul to visit their Korean father when there was a car accident that claimed the lives of her parents and her beloved older brother. Now, she has nowhere to go and no one to take care of her. She's completely alone. By chance, little MaeRin sees Lee Taemin, notices the spot on similarities, and, due to her serious state of shock, thinks he's her older brother. What will Taemin do in this situation, where there's a poor, helpless little girl who just lost everything and thinks that he's her deceased brother? Well, he was over 18 and legally an adult. What else could he do? One thing's for sure, he's become either an older brother (like his own) or a father at almost 20, simply with one small meeting and misunderstanding...

And so, here's the first volume. Read and enjoy!

 

SHINing Rain

 

She was only six, seven here in South Korea. Something like this shouldn't have happened to her.

But it did...

It was raining. Hard. Jung MaeRin, her older brother by 12 years, and her American mother had just arrived in Seoul, reunited with her and her oppa's appa, hopped into their appa's car and gotten halfway to his house when a bright light flashed in front of them. There were loud noises and crashes and the sound of bending and snapping of metal. And then there was nothing. Just black.

MaeRin woke up not remembering that something had happened, she just couldn't remember exactly what. She remembered that her oppa, umma and appa were with her in a car going home...but, that was it...After that there was nothing. And that, was a very confusing and scary thing to a six year old girl.

She overheard that she and her family had been part of a three car crash and that "the mother and father died upon impact and the older brother had just been lost five minutes ago". She didn't understand any of it. Everything was blank. There was such a big gap in her memory that she didn't even cry. She wasn't sad. But she did panic.

Her brother. Her oppa. They said he was lost. Where was he? Where was she? Was her oppa okay? She had to find him!

By the time a doctor came in and cleared that she was relatively unhurt and able to get up, it had already been explained to her that her brother and parents were gone. They didn't say where. Just simply "gone".

She sat on a soft couch in front of the children's part of the hostpitol's front desk. Nurses and doctors were running about, making calls, arguing about what to do with her. And she just sat there, looking around confusedly. Everything was like one big blur.

Then she spotted him. He looked exactly like him. Was it? It was! Her oppa! There was her oppa!

She got up and ran to him.

 

 

"Oppa!"

Lee Taemin was at the hospitol with his hyungs for their monthy physical that their manager made them do when he heard a small voice cry out as something small crashed into his side.

He dropped the medical papers he was holding and almost toppled over with them. He looked down to see a small girl with light brown hair and bright green eyes looking up at him with tears in her eyes.

Oppa? he thought. Do I have a younger sister I don't know about?

"Umm," he was at a loss for words.

"Oppa! Where were you?! The nurses said that you were gone! Where did you go?!"

"Uh..." He still didn't know what to say.

"MaeRin!" an older female voice called out. A nurse came running up to them. "MaeRin, you can't just run off like that honey. You have to stay near the desk."

"But it's my oppa! Oppa's back! See?!"

The nurse sighed and looked up at Taemin. "I'm so sorry. She's just been in a bad car accident and her parents and older brother didn't make it. Her parents didn't list anyone to take care of her and we can't get a hold of foster care places or orphanages. She doesn't remember anything. She doesn't even remember her family's names. Just faces. You look a lot like her brother. She probably mistook you for him."

Taemin looked back down at the little girl. She was very cute, and so helpless looking. He couldn't imagine what she was going through, or if she felt anything at all. Just thinking about her accident made him feel just as traumatized.

"We don't know when, or even if, she'll get her memory back. All of us here in childrens' are at a loss as of what to do. She doesn't have any other family here or back in America." The nurse looked like she would cry.

What should he do? She was only six. How could he tell her he wasn't her brother and that her family was dead and she was alone? How could he just tell her "I'm sorry, but you've got the wrong person"? What else could he do?

He knelt down and smiled at MaeRin, patting her head. "Hi MaeRin. Sorry for worrying you. I'm here now, okay? So don't be sad."

MaeRin beamed widely and threw her arms around Taemin. Taemin hugged her back tightly and picked her up in his arms, setting her on his waist.

MaeRin pulled back to look at him. "Oppa, can we go home now? I don't like it here."

Another problem. Taemin bit his lip. Well, he might as well finish what he started.

He turned to the nurse. "Can she come with me for a bit?"

"Erm...Um...I guess so. But I have to accompany you."

"That's okay. It won't be long, hopefully."

The nurse nodded and picked up the papers Taemin had dropped. Off they walked through the hospitol, Taemin still carrying MaeRin.

 

 

"Please can we keep her?"

The othe four SHINee boys stared, dumbstruck, at their maknae holding a little brown-haired, green-eyed cutie of a girl.

Had he asked if they could keep the girl?

"Taemin," Key sighed. "I could understand if this were a puppy or a kitten we're talking about. But this is a little girl! How can we keep her?"

"But hyungs! She's so small and she doesn't have anywhere to go! Her parents are gone and she doesn't have anyone to care for her! We have to do something!"

"Taemin, we're idols," Minho said. "I understand how you feel and empathize with you, but, how are we going to take care of a seven year old girl?"

"But..." Taemin snuggled the liitle girl, asleep in his arms. "She needs us. She needs me." He looked back at the others. "Hyungs, she called me 'oppa'! She thinks I'm her brother! What's she going to think if I leave her here!?"

"You mean you played along with her mistake?" Jonghyun asked completely taken aback. "Do you realize what you've just done?"

"I know! I know! But..." Taemin bit his lip again. "I'm a legal adult. That means I can get custody of her, right? And she doesn't have any family or anyone to take care of her legally, so it should be easy, right? I'm old enough! I can take care of her! Please, guys? You have to let me!"

One look at the budding tears in their maknae's eyes and they had to give in. He had really matured since they all met. How could they deny him?

"Alright. But I hope you realize just how much responsibility you've taken on," Onew agreed.

Taemin smiled and held MaeRin closer. "Yes! You won't regret it! I promise!" Taemin kissed MaeRin's forehead. "Don't worry, MaeRin. We're going home now."

 

a/n: Soooo~.....Is Taemin an oppa or an appa now? Tell me what you think. (I almost cried! T^T)